A few questions, Husky, bars and chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's been quite a few years since I had a whole herd of saws and used them daily, but it seems I'm getting back into the logging stuff more and more lately. I'm not sure if I like this or not, but it is what it is I guess.

Anyway, being out of the loop for so long, I've forgotten a lot of stuff I should know.

First off, I have an older Husky 385xp that leaks gas and oil when it's laid on its' side or placed in a scabbard. It's fine when it sits upright on the ground. When it's in a scabbard it will literally drain the bar oil tank over a period of hours and while it doesn't leak gas all that bad, it DOES flood the engine somehow and makes it hard to start. Same thing if I lay it on its' side with the bar flat on the ground. Is there anything common about these saws that I should look for? Maybe it is nature of the beast, but my 272 doesn't do this at all, and it's even older than the 385.

Secondly, what is a good on-line source of parts for the Husky? I need a clutch/bar cover for the 385.

Lastly, is there a preferred source for rolls of chain and bars? I still have my breaker and spinner from years back and I'd just as soon make my own chains. Anyone prefer one brand of chain over another?

I used to get this stuff locally when I lived in New England, but I've been in Michigan for 10 years now and haven't bought this stuff since I moved here, so I don't even know if my New England sources are still around.

Thanks for any help any f you can offer!

Tank vent is probably shot on the 385. The oiler vent could be shot also. I use weedeaterman.com for total/tsumura bars. I get chain from madsens.

Tank vent is probably shot on the 385. The oiler vent could be shot also. I use weedeaterman.com for total/tsumura bars. I get chain from madsens.
Where is the tank and oiler vents? Not in the caps I assume?

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

Tank vent plugs into the tank and has a line coming up into the carb box. I can't remember exactly where the oil tank vent is on those. Check an IPL on parts tree or something like that to find it.

I figured out the fuel tank vent... when I removed the tank, it fell out! According to the service manual I got on-line, there's supposed to be a cap on it and it's supposed to fit into the tank rather snugly. So I ordered one of those and will try it. Why this would cause the engine to flood when the saw is stood on end I have no idea, but it certainly explains why I have gas running out of the saw.

As far as the oiler goes, the pic below helps explain what I'm looking at and don't understand. Is the tank vent the little round thing between the 2 bar bolts? I warmed the tank and had oil seeping from the delivery tube and it was getting wet inside the clutch housing, and when I pushed on the center hole of that little round thing, I got a shot of bar oil. If it's a vent, it's not venting. The service manual makes no mention of a tank vent but I'm sure it has to have one.

Attachments

• OilProblem.jpg
    OilProblem.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back