A flourescent lowering line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone else use Yale XTC Fire? Been using it for the past 6 months in small to mid load rigging applications. Starting to get a few frays here and there.

Here's my thing whenever I retire a lowering line I still use it as a tag line, therefore I select another color so the ground crew doesnt get mixed up in having one new and one old of the same color. I really like how the XTC Fire feels in knot tying and monkey fist throwing, plus stays nice and bright after repeated use. I think a flourescent and bright rope is great for the ground crew see real clearly. Is there any other 1/2"(13mm) lowering line that ya'll could recommed that is high visibility like the XTC Fire?

John,

media.nl

This the yellow stripe you were referring to? www.sherrilltree.com/Recreational-Gear/Pro-Series_3/Pro-Stripe-Climbing-Rope
For some reason Sherril has it listed as a recretaional climbing line, but Yale's website seems to indicate all the XTC versions are the same just different colors and can be used either as a lowering line or a climbing line

Last edited:
Buzz line is a solid orange 12 strand that would fit the bill.
76 cents a foot at Wespur.

the xtc fire is also orange. looking for something just as bright in either a flourescent green, yellow, blue, etc . Seems all the new cool colors are all being made in 11mm

samson gold streak [yellow]
you could get a nice long lasting strong samson 1/2in static rope mbs 11,000lbs; comes in yellow,red,& orange and is prolly much different looking than any rope you have:)
i could name more than a dozen ropes that fit your spec but i like samson rope and recommend the above two

John,

This the yellow stripe you were referring to? www.sherrilltree.com/Recreational-Gear/Pro-Series_3/Pro-Stripe-Climbing-Rope
For some reason Sherril has it listed as a recretaional climbing line, but Yale's website seems to indicate all the XTC versions are the same just different colors and can be used either as a lowering line or a climbing line

There are a lot of different forms of XTC, that one is in Sherrill's proprietary colors, and is also a cover core 16 strand, where the type I mentioned is a 12 strand hollow core. Cover/core ropes will always be more costly, their biggest advantage is wear resistance.

Yale makes one that is white with a yellow stripe.

Most working ropes can be used as a lowering line; you just need to know your tensile so you can work safe with it.

Last edited:
New England's KMIII comes in bright fluorescent green.
TM,

how does it feel? would you use it everday? looks something like stable braid.

edit: just realized this is a static rope. We have never used a static line for a lowering rope. From what I understand they shock load the tree too much.

Last edited:
samson gold streak [yellow]

Ive been using blue streak and yellow streak for awhile. I only used Samson for a few decades, great ropes. my issue is the yellow fades and the white turns brown. hard to see amongst foliage.

same thing with stable braid I have a 1/2" 150" and a 3/4" 200'. Both were orange, color comes out after some use and they turn to a light brown color.

I am real impressed how the XTC fire looks still nice and bright after 6 months of everday use. Still looks like a new rope and still feels great.

I think I am going to try another version of the XTC in that yellow and green. Not quite flourescent but seems there isn't anything as bright as the XTC fire in a 1/2" dynamic line. Wish that KMIII wasn't static line or id give that a try.

These rope manufacturer's need colors like the Dragonfly, Ultra Vee, KMIII(Safety Green), etc in 1/2" line. Why have a half white rope that turns brown after a day of use?

true blue

What about true blue? NOt flourescent but by far my favorite rigging line...nice feel in the hand and a good bit of stretch...

What about true blue? NOt flourescent but by far my favorite rigging line...nice feel in the hand and a good bit of stretch...

another great rope and I also love the feel. just wish it was brighter.

How about this Samson Lighting rope? Samson doesn't even list it on their site and Sherill states its designed exclusively for them. Only thing I could find out is the price and it's a 1/2". Sherill site stinks only way to tell what size the rope is to add it to cart.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Lightning_2/Lightning-Green-Climbing-Rope

Expensive! but if it retains color, stays bright, and has a good breaking strength rating may be worth a try. Anyone ever use this?

And one of the strongest of the 1/2" category line, next to the arbormaster series. Don't mean to knock opinions but shouldn't the strength of the line be one of the main features of a rope that is going to be used as a lowering line? The new neons and multi-stripes are all cool to look at and I understand the ID factor for the groundman, but my opinion the stronger the better. :)

Latest posts

Back