A friendly reminder not to forget to... (with pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
P1020135.jpg

Mark those dead standing trees before all the leaves are gone!
Sometimes it's hard to tell in the winter when everything's bare.

That's a 30+ inch DBH ash on the family farm that will probably (hopefully) be coming down this winter.

Here's the whole thing, it's bigger than it looks in the pictures. Over 50 feet, by my best guess, but we'll see when it comes down.

P1020137.jpg

Another dead ash in that field-

P1020138.jpg

Fine view this evening, despite the clouds. You can just see the barn roof from this angle if you look close (I kept the pics smallish for less dial up carnage).

P1020136.jpg

Another dead ash in the field two above the last-

P1020139.jpg

If you look close in there, there are two ash, one has been almost completely consumed by a bittersweet vine. The vine base is 2.5 - 3" in diameter at the ground. That is one serious weed right there.

P1020140.jpg

And finally, a couple pictures of the upper field, about a 7-ish acre field of the 140 acre farm. The stone walls marking the field boundaries are 20 ft behind the edge of the brush, made up of mostly weeds, multiflora rose and bittersweet, and of course, perfectly good hardwoods.

P1020141.jpg

P1020142.jpg

When my father farmed this land with his uncle, they'd sell 30-40 cords a winter and were just keeping up with the fence lines at that point, plus whatever they used themselves (probably another 10-15). Which makes sense, since out of 140 acres, there's probably now 40-50 wooded.

Of course, nothing has been touched for the better part of 35 years so, needless to say, I'm pretty much set for life. It's basically all ash and maple, with some oak, hickory and surviving elm thrown in for good measure.

Nice pics and beautiful farm. I really enjoy rolling meadows.

We have a few rolling acres, but all wooded.

Good reminder on marking the dead stuff now.

Most of what I have been cutting is on the horizontal side of dead, so, usually, I am able to identify it.:)

Good post! Just did mine last week!:clap:

Good advice on marking the dead ones now. I am going to be doing the same in our woods this week.

Great looking property!

Thanks, I almost forgot to, good thing I was walking by the spray paint in Wally World this weekend. Seeing the flourescent pink Krylon is what reminded me I needed to get on this.

Nice pics and beautiful farm. I really enjoy rolling meadows.

We have a few rolling acres, but all wooded.

Good reminder on marking the dead stuff now.

Most of what I have been cutting is on the horizontal side of dead, so, usually, I am able to identify it.:)

Thanks for the compliments, the rolling hills are nice to look at, as long as it isn't from the seat of a platform tractor pulling a big load of square bales going across one of the sidehills... they're steeper than they look!

That really is a good tip! One that I never thought of before. i have several on my place that need to come down, and you are right! Mark those babies!

Got about 20+ dead elm marked with some white engineer tape...fortunately they're not the big widow makers...all easy takes. Gives me something to do this winter.

FWIW, its gonna take you a looooooooooong time to cut that Ash down with those clippers ! :dizzy:

Lol, that's why I plan on using this instead:

P1020028.jpg

Yes that's my kitchen, yes I'm single, and yes I do occasionally work on my saws and bikes in there.

Lol, that's why I plan on using this instead:

P1020028.jpg

Yes that's my kitchen, yes I'm single, and yes I do occasionally work on my saws and bikes in there.

I appreciate your optimisim, but I just don't think a hammer, socket set, wrenches, and screwdriver are going to get it done.

The bucket and easy chair can be used to rest from using the other tools I mentioned.:)

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of damage I can do with a good hammer and a quality flat head screwdriver. :laugh:

I tried paint last year and decided it was too hard to see so I bought yellow ribbon for this year. I'm going to "tie a yellow ribbon around the old DEAD tree" this week end. And many more as I find them.

Latest posts

Back