A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ices_rofl:

I've had the orange one for about 6 yrs.The others were from the $0.99 closeout.I'm really not into color coordinating.(Couldn't find a Homelite red or blue.)The yellow ones(most common color) do look good with a Mac though.

sears /ryobi /redmax

Is this saw at Sears.com - model # 36218 - item # 07136218000 the same saw used in this discussion - redmax gz 400 / 4000 ?
Thanks

Is this saw at Sears.com - model # 36218 - item # 07136218000 the same saw used in this discussion - redmax gz 400 / 4000 ?
Thanks

Well, yes and no.The Sears model is made in Japan(should be higher quality I would think) and the Ryobi is made (assembled) in China,with some parts made in Japan.The line between them is kind of blurry.

searsm/ ryobi

Yes, but we are still talking about the same engine and basically the same saw body between the ryobi and the sears professional?
The main difference may be quality?
Thanks

In the Ryobi,the general opinion is that the engine and chassis are made in Japan,the plastic parts and assembly of the saw in China.
The Craftsman seems to come from Japan.
(I guess that makes sense.)

Thanks

If that's the $369 "Professional" model, rumor has it that it's a GZ4000, while the Ryobi (which was $179 at Home Despot) is a GZ400. On the Redmax site 400 and 4000 have the same specs, but Redmax gives the 4000 a longer warranty and seems to market it as more of a pro saw. If I ever found the Craftsman Pro for $99 I'd buy five.

Here is a link to the Craftsman he's talking about.From the picture they are the same(note the different chain adjuster on the bar,the adjuster hole as used on the Ryobi is there too but not used).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...word=#+07136218000&sLevel=0#descriptionAnchor

If you hit the link and "mouse over" the picture you can clearly read "Japan" on the brake handle.This is not found on the Ryobi brake handle.

Last edited:
sears/ryobi

If anyone out there has the Craftsman Pro we are taking about, do you need the special tool/driver to adjust the carb screws/
Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!

Who needs the tool? just dremel screwdriver slots into the H & L screws

I have as well, but every friend, neighbor or co worker drives their equipment out to my barn to drink beer and hide from their wives while I try to get their neglected two cylce working. Sometimes it is just easier to tweak the carb than dismantle it. So I bought all the tools on ebay.

D(*(^^& you Brad et al, now you have made me go and spend another 110 bucks for another saw. Seriously if this thing is half the saw that you guys say, it should be great. Actually this one is for a friend of mine. Just before I joined AS I bought a refurb Poulan 4218 on ebay for 79 bucks. I got it and it looked like new. Fired right up and wouldn't cut warm butter. Thats when I joined AS and learned about safety chain. Ground off the bars and that thing cut like crazy. I loaned it to a buddy who had some storm damage to clean up. He loves the thing and wanted me to see if I could get one for him. I had read this thread, so I talked him into the Ryobi. I told him if he didn't like it he could have the Poulan and I'd keep the Ryobi. Cant wait to see which saw I end up with. JR

Well jra,order your Double-D carb tool and an extra sparkplug(NGK CMR7H) from Edge and Engine and you'll be all set.
I'm sure you have everything you need to do the necessary "fixes" and mods laying around already.

(You might want to check Bailey's for item #BCC 12 EP50 (12" bar and chain combo @7.95),they work really well on these saws.)

Last edited:
(You might want to check Bailey's for item #BCC 12 EP50 (12" bar and chain combo @7.95),they work really well on these saws.)

Well we had the saw out yesterday doing some storm cleanup. My son ran three tanks of fuel through it using the above mentioned bar and chain setup/. This thing is a real bargain at 110 bucks.It starts easily with the primer when cold and once warm, all you need is a gentle tug on the rope. Saw is very nimble and has more than enough grunt to cut maple up to bar length. That 3/8 lopro is very nice for cutting small limbs without the grabbing action of all my other 3/8 full chisel setups.

Latest posts

Back