A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when my tool comes, the exhaust is going to 1/2". I'll finally be able to adjust it. I tried a few of the tricks people have suggested and those screws wouldnt budge. This saw may actually shed its name as 'dirt saw' after I get it tuned up.

I want to get a 16" bar/chain for this saw. Can someone provide me a link to baileys with the correct bar mount? Thanks!

For the carb screws a pair of hemostats will unscrew them,then slot em..
google "ryobi chainsaw parts "..plenty with an IPL even..

i put a 16in homelite on one and a 16in windsor on another,no idea of mount type,tried until i got a fit..had to modify windsor a bit,no big deal..
tune it the wood and you can lean on it a bit and WILL surprise you !!

For the carb screws a pair of hemostats will unscrew them,then slot em..
google "ryobi chainsaw parts "..plenty with an IPL even..

i put a 16in homelite on one and a 16in windsor on another,no idea of mount type,tried until i got a fit..had to modify windsor a bit,no big deal..
tune it the wood and you can lean on it a bit and WILL surprise you !!

I tried my hemostats, they're a little too bulky to get in there as they are part scissor part hemostats (keep em in my tackle box). It's not a big deal because the tool is cheap and I'm not in a big hurry.

Do these use the same bar mount as the RedMaxx 3800 since they're pretty much identical? I can go by that model to find one on Baileys...

Do these use the same bar mount as the RedMaxx 3800 since they're pretty much identical? I can go by that model to find one on Baileys...
i have no idea..
i just tried some untill one fit..

Small mount Husky, 3/8 low profile if you keep the original drum/spur.

Just tell Bailey's bar selector you've got a Husky 36, or Redmax GZ4000 (for some reason I don't see Redmax GZ400 listed there, which is what the Ryobi really is).

I've run mine with my Husky 16" bar. I was rather surprised that the 16" Husky was only about an ounce heavier than the 12" Carlton that I've got on it now.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=EP50+EP43+EJ50

Good thread guys. I had seen these saws at a truckload tool sale and wondered what they were like. I thought they looked fairly solid. I may have to get one to play with.

Just now got mine, 115 recon from Home Depot Online, plus 6.90 tax, free shipping, 121.90 total. Noticed a UPS return tag already in the box, so no issues (I expect) with a return- it looks like Amazon isn't taking these back if they're turds. Mine looks pretty good, runs great. I'm really liking how strong it pulls, given it's weight. I'm pretty used to my Dad's old 112, and this little Ryobi is a very different animal. Still gonna get a new PS-420 someday, but I had to try this thing for 120 bucks. Not unhappy at all. Now, off to read Brad's thread about modding it, and order a good B/C from Bailey's.

oldmar Just now got mine, 115 recon from Home Depot Online, plus 6.90 tax, free shipping, 121.90 total. Noticed a UPS return tag already in the box, so no issues (I expect) with a return- it looks like Amazon isn't taking these back if they're turds. Mine looks pretty good, runs great. I'm really liking how strong it pulls, given it's weight. I'm pretty used to my Dad's old 112, and this little Ryobi is a very different animal. Still gonna get a new PS-420 someday, but I had to try this thing for 120 bucks. Not unhappy at all. Now, off to read Brad's thread about modding it, and order a good B/C from Bailey's.

Thats how i got started on mine,reading what Mr.Snelling had done.
good pix on this thread also if you missed them..

2manytoys4me i think the stock bar is fine, just needs a 91vx chain

I tried it both ways..
16in made another new saw :)

attachment.php

Just got me one of these at one of those truckload sales for $99.99 plus tax. Came to $109.09 total. Bought it for the kids to learn on should be just right. Almost bought a Wild Thing a few months back for the same purpose. Glad I waited and found this site. I think this saw will do better than the Wild Thing.

I did a bit of cutting today with the Ryobi, and it's a good limbing and bucking saw for smaller stuff. The stock bar works good for me while limbing, I'm tall. I had occasion to borecut while felling a leaner, and the stock bar & chain bore for crap, no surprise. Never mind using the saw upside down so it doesn't starve for fuel. I'll have to get about that fuel line mod presently. This is an awfully decent little saw for a hundred-ish beans. Carb tool is on it's way, muff mod soon.

Last edited:
I have started a new thread called - porting the ryobi 10532 -
I thought that the excellent discussion on Ryobi basics here would get to convoluted with porting discussions, am I wrong?
Is it better to keep it in this thread?
Thanks

I hope the weight on this thread is right instead of Home Depots listed weight,
They have it down as 18 pounds assembled....

I ordered two of them yesterday, I wanted to get my son-in-law a saw for Christmas but my wife had already taken care of his presents.

So I told my daughter she should buy him one and I would order it for her, well I got online and found free shipping and couldn't help myself.. I ordered me one too.

My wife just bought me a Dolmar 5100 a month ago, she thinks I've totaly lost my mind. Actually it was almost two months ago.

So I need an opinion from you guys. I have an Echo CS-400 that I bought last year after the ice store up here in New England. I'm relatively happy with the saw and haven't done anything other than take the exhaust deflector and screen off and richen the mix as far as the limiters will allow. With the 5 year warranty in place, I've avoided making any permanent changes.

I started lurking on this forum around the time I purchased the saw and this Ryobi/RedMax saw has intrigued me. I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort to sell my CS-400 and buy the 10532. If I didn't have a saw, there'd be no question in my mind that the Ryobi is the way to go but since I already have the Echo, it becomes a different situation.

So I need an opinion from you guys. I have an Echo CS-400 that I bought last year after the ice store up here in New England. I'm relatively happy with the saw and haven't done anything other than take the exhaust deflector and screen off and richen the mix as far as the limiters will allow. With the 5 year warranty in place, I've avoided making any permanent changes.

I started lurking on this forum around the time I purchased the saw and this Ryobi/RedMax saw has intrigued me. I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort to sell my CS-400 and buy the 10532. If I didn't have a saw, there'd be no question in my mind that the Ryobi is the way to go but since I already have the Echo, it becomes a different situation.

It's part of the charm of the Ryobi that you shouldn't HAVE to sell another saw to get it. Just sell your plasma. :cheers:

Jack

I donot believe that you will notice a very big change in power. As Cliff (a AS member) always says his Echo saws are great as soon as he retunes them with muffler mod and carb modification(the same as required on the Ryobi). The gains will be marginal. It is a simple theoreticle thinking of mine but we are talking about gaining a few seconds in a cut. I have oftened mentioned it but we spend more time stacking and splitting.
If you want to try out the mod just buy a new muffler and mod it.

So stay safe and happy.

My feeling is that the RyobiMax isn't a saw that you should finance through the sale of another good saw. For the hundred or so that you spend on it, it's an awesome backup or second or loaner. For that matter, keep it in the truck during storm season. I bought mine so I could push off my new PS420 a little longer. When I say "my new PS420" I mean the PS420 that may or may not be at the dealer if I ever get around to getting around to it. :)

My opinion is NO!

The Ryobi is a fine little saw, but the Echo will do anything the Ryobi will and you already own the Echo.

You will likely not recoup your full purchase price (DUH!) on the sale of the Echo, and then you will turn around and buy another saw that you won't be able to sell for what you give for it.

If you were doing a LOT of sawing in the small stuff the Ryobi would be a real nice addition or, if you were going up to a larger saw, the situation could be different.

Mike

My opinion is NO!

The Ryobi is a fine little saw, but the Echo will do anything the Ryobi will and you already own the Echo.

You will likely not recoup your full purchase price (DUH!) on the sale of the Echo, and then you will turn around and buy another saw that you won't be able to sell for what you give for it.

If you were doing a LOT of sawing in the small stuff the Ryobi would be a real nice addition or, if you were going up to a larger saw, the situation could be different

OR,,i want a saw for less than $100 delivered to your door to play with,mod,etc.. it' worth getting one as an addition.

anyone figured out a way to slow down the chain oiler on the ryobi.
mine oils excessivley for my work, cutting green pine , fir and larch.
Since i have to pack both gas and oil if i can cut down a little on oil usage it makes a lighter load!
I thought of pinching the line slightly smaller in the tank???

Perhaps the gz 4000 redmax has an adjustable oiler that can be put on the ryobi?
Thanks

Back