A helper in the woods today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be quiet or anything, 2 trees dropped, a 50 ft log skidded out. Back in for another hitch, this little whitetail comes out of the bushes, checking out my work.
wt1.jpg
I took the camera, got off the tractor, and started slowly going towards it. Looks like last years fawn, got within 25 ft or so before it finally took off.
wt2.jpg
It's pretty thick now, honeysuckle & all. A herd of buffalo could be in there, you'd never know it.

I see a lot of deer out on my property. They are neat to watch. Then I see the saplings that the bucks use to rub on and basically destroy. They always seem to find the most desirable specie to tear the bark off of. They never touch a weed tree. If I could only get them to rub on the box elder and eat the bush honeysuckle and garlic mustard......:rolleyes:

There must be a deer commune right around where I'm cutting. This little buck [and 2 buddies] came out today while I'm sitting on the tractor eating lunch. He was about 20 ft away when I took the pic.
deer1.jpg
Yesterday, as an 80 ft locust tree hit the ground, I see one jump that it almost hit. They must get used to the noise of the saw & tractor, it doesn't seem to bother them much.

we have a disease in our ponderosa pine called mistletoe,and i have literally had to chase whitetail away to fall a large tree before, and as soon as i walk away they our knawing on that stuff,there are lots of critters around here that log right along with us,there is trust there i think because we dont sneak around,you can definately hear us coming...

Lunch time again today, on the tractor. All's quiet, I hear this 'snort' not far away. A minute later, does it again. Getting no reaction [from me?] this litte deer strols out, browses around for 5 minutes or so. Everytime I crunch a mouthful of chips, kind of gives me the eye. About 20 ft away from the tractor, I took this pic. She hardly flinched when the camera clicked.
D4.jpg

> A helper in the woods today

i was on a lot a few years ago. i think it was winter of '02 or '03. anyway, i'd see a deer here and there and see their tracks from eating off the tops that i'd limbed off. then one day i saw one cross my skid trail. than another one. then another one. i counted 16 in all. they followed me around all winter.

nhlogga - Hey, those deer knew who their meal ticket was - you- Hey, one year late in the fall I'm flail mowing in this field. Whoa, a redtail hawk comes down right next to the tractor & nails a mouse! He hung out all the while I was there, he probably got a half dozen mice. He'd go up on the ridge of the barn, snack away, then watch me mowing. Pretty soon, here he'd come again, he didn't miss to often. All that noise of the tractor & mower didn't seem to bother it.

I'll share a little trick on how to attract deer to your wood lot.

Fertilize a section and watch the activity!

Deer eat about anything, they need about 90% fodder to make there system work. They can taste nutrients and minerals and are naturaly attracted to well nourished fodder.

Above all, this trick is legal in most states that forbid hunting food-plots, your only making what is good for deer, better.

Just a primer link:

I is pretty cool I am clearing a section of woods behind my house and they are always out in the morning they are great to watch and the kids can not get enough. One actually had small antlers about 4 inches or so. But I would be care full that one looks to be in attack mode maybee they are hunting you. LOL

I'll share a little trick on how to attract deer to your wood lot.

Fertilize a section and watch the activity!

Deer eat about anything, they need about 90% fodder to make there system work. They can taste nutrients and minerals and are naturaly attracted to well nourished fodder.

Above all, this trick is legal in most states that forbid hunting food-plots, your only making what is good for deer, better.

Just a primer link:

I always try to pee on a rock so that the deer can come by later and lick the salt. It's also fun to toss them an apple. They will show up at the same time each day looking for another one.

Latest posts

Back