A Lab Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I learned something today. A Labrador dries faster than polypro fabric. Same time in the wet, same time and temperature in the rig. Bet you always wondered.

I made him pack flagging, water, and the radio. Here he is at the start. Note the nose scar.

attachment.php

And here he is when we are halfway done. I've lightened his load of flagging.
We're both wet.
attachment.php

We are now waiting for the wood stove to get heating. It's almost there.:clap:

Nice helper you have Patty. My dog would have run away with the supplies never to return. As for being wet it sure doesnt seem to bother most dogs like it bothers us humans does it.:)

Great information to know. Lol
Does the used dog mind packing for you?
How is the grapple cat doing?

Great information to know. Lol
Does the used dog mind packing for you?
How is the grapple cat doing?

The first thing The Used Dog does after I put the pack on him is, he tries to rub it off on the nearest brush. He is not too fond of it. A friend who has a way with dogs suggests I have my Used Dog pack dog food and dog treats. Then he'll like the pack. The Grapple Cat seems to be doing his job. I have him graduated from a litter box to using a cat door and the great outdoors. He had one day when it looked like a massecre was done. 4 assorted mice and shrew bodies left on the floor. He doesn't seem to mind living in a dark shop building. He considers it his territory and does not allow The Used Dog to enter.

That dog looks like a good pardner!

He's a bit on the whiney side. After about 20 minutes he starts whining. He is like a horse, and will speed up to get back to the pickup.

never thought of havening the dog pack some gear in where did you find the saddle bags for the lab

I found it at a horse gear booth up at the twice a year flea market. They had other colors, but I want him easy to spot. Who knows, maybe I'll teach him to run a straight line with a chain and we'll do profiles. :)

I have known a few guys that have packs for their dogs that they carry saw gas and bar oil in, maybe an extra sharp chain...my Brother-in-law has a dog that packs for him on Afhognak Island Alaska. Wish I woulda tried it!

Poor dog, it is a good thing he is color blind! Lol
You know blue is easy to see in the woods also!

My assistant came along yesterday. He was cheerier. It was a nice day and we weren't going to have any drying tests. We did have a response test. The ground I was stepping on gave way. I tumbled gently over landing on my back. Then, felt like I might need an "I've fallen and I can't get up" device. I couldn't get up until I'd pushed the 80 pound dog off of me. He was there in a flash with the radio. After a bit of dog rasselin', I was able to get going again. The ground was extremely soft, the tumble slow, not even a little bruise or scrape was gotten.

This unit was very pleasant to work on. No underbrush, not much blowdown to go through. My assistant carrying a lot of my gear. A walk in the park. I wouldn't want to be a faller in it. It is definitely a thin from below, and the smaller trees might be hard to persuade to hit the ground. Note to self: Visit frequently and bring paint.
attachment.php

I found a treasure trove of what was left of a balloon clump. Somebody had a birthday somewhere. Sometimes, if they are in good shape, I'll fasten a shiny balloon remnant to a cut tree to liven up a faller's day. These were not worth it so I stuffed them in the Used Dog's pack.
attachment.php

At the top is a decommissioned road--one of the reasons why this is helicopter. The other reason is that the road on the bottom is washed out in a few spots. Not badly but enough to cause some folks to think that all the fish in the world would die if it was repaired and used. Enough on that topic.:chainsaw: To me, this is a good decommissioning job as it left enough material on the top of the fills for the elk to walk on and me to walk on the elk trails.

attachment.php

The pack has a label saying Sunshine Products. I think it was made in Eastern Oregon. Hecho en Oregon. :)

My assistant came along yesterday. He was cheerier. It was a nice day and we weren't going to have any drying tests. We did have a response test. The ground I was stepping on gave way. I tumbled gently over landing on my back. Then, felt like I might need an "I've fallen and I can't get up" device. I couldn't get up until I'd pushed the 80 pound dog off of me. He was there in a flash with the radio. After a bit of dog rasselin', I was able to get going again. The ground was extremely soft, the tumble slow, not even a little bruise or scrape was gotten.

This unit was very pleasant to work on. No underbrush, not much blowdown to go through. My assistant carrying a lot of my gear. A walk in the park. I wouldn't want to be a faller in it. It is definitely a thin from below, and the smaller trees might be hard to persuade to hit the ground. Note to self: Visit frequently and bring paint.
attachment.php

I found a treasure trove of what was left of a balloon clump. Somebody had a birthday somewhere. Sometimes, if they are in good shape, I'll fasten a shiny balloon remnant to a cut tree to liven up a faller's day. These were not worth it so I stuffed them in the Used Dog's pack.
attachment.php

At the top is a decommissioned road--one of the reasons why this is helicopter. The other reason is that the road on the bottom is washed out in a few spots. Not badly but enough to cause some folks to think that all the fish in the world would die if it was repaired and used. Enough on that topic.:chainsaw: To me, this is a good decommissioning job as it left enough material on the top of the fills for the elk to walk on and me to walk on the elk trails.

attachment.php

The pack has a label saying Sunshine Products. I think it was made in Eastern Oregon. Hecho en Oregon. :)

You'll have to get the Used Dog a little hard hat to wear.

Wow, how long had it been since that dog had a good BM? That's one huge pile of dog poop he's walking away from. Either that or you've answered the question of whether a really big bear ####s in the woods.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back