A reality check for a wannabe CS miller please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YB has "hit the nail on the head" so to speak, but it does include modification as well.

It's pity that most of the photos have gone on this site as there were some excellent mods shown from time to time.

I /think/ what BobL means by "roll your own" is to make your own mill from scratch. I take that as his meaning from context and from the fact that I know he has made several Alaskan type (and maybe other?) mills from scratch. "Roll your own," generally, refers to rolling one's own cigarettes, which the Brits and Aussies are more prone to do than Americans. They end up using the phrase to mean any type of "make your own thing when there's a mass-produced version of that thing available but for probably a higher price." Sorry if this explanation seems patronizing - I don't mean it to me. I just thought I sensed a mis-communication happening.

If you look at several pictures of Granberg or other Alaskan mills and are fairly handy, have time, can weld, etc. then it's probably not a big deal to make something similar more cheaply from commonly available stock. And just like with cigarettes, if you know what you are doing and use quality components, there's a pretty good chance that you can make something as good or possibly quite a bit better for less money.

Again, my sincerest apologies if I have misunderstood the above situation but I lived in England for a year and found that the small differences in the way the language gets used can cause major mis-communications. For a quick example of how things can go terribly wrong, look up the subtly (but very important) difference in how Brits use the word "horny" as compared to Yanks.

Yea, I pretty much meant that although the mods I was asking about was just the nose bar mods (#5 7 #8) vs. making a CS mill from scratch.

Per Bailey's online, it would appear that one of those AK III CS mills would be around $225 or so with a pretty decent length bar guide. I'm going to see if I can find one off of CL or fleabay.

Thanks,

Back