A really great read - Pacific Northwest Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi All - just for your info:

I ordered a book from Baileys the other day called 'High Climbers and Timber Fallers' by G F Beranek, and wanted to say that is a really good read for those who are interested in the old growth logging days of the Pacific Northwest. It has some wonderful colour pictures of the big saws in action - Stihl 090's, Dolmar 166's, Huskies as well as the Mac SP125 fitted with the cart engine. It is based around the late seventies - through to the Millennium.

I am looking forward to the day when I can get over to the Pacific Northwest areas and see some of those big old trees that have been spared.

Regards,

Chris.

I am looking forward to the day when I can get over to the Pacific Northwest areas and see some of those big old trees that have been spared.
You're a little late, but there's still some old growth in parks and wilderness.

Thanks for the tip on the book, I'll add it to my Bailey's shopping list.

Good book suggestion.

There are a good many big trees still around.

Right in downtown Portland there are some firs and cedars that are huge. If you want to see them in the woods you have be willing to walk a little off the beaten path. Most people who know where the big trees are won't speak up because they don't want the enviro weenies to come and mess up the place.

One place you can go is Valley of the Giants. It is far enough out that you have to want to go there, keeps some of the riff raff out.

There is a hike about two miles south of seaside that takes you through everything from clear cuts to old growth Hemlock. You could build a neighborhood out of a single one of the big trees.

There is always the Redwoods. You should take time to see those.

Up in Washington there is a forest of giant Cedars. I have not seen that one, but I know a few guys who have. It is a bit out of the way, the directions to get there are long and complicated and I won't post them online. (That is if I can find them again. lol)

There are more, I'm forgetting them ATM.

You would have to plan on spending about a week in the PNW and doing a lot of driving to see the highlights of the big trees. You would need to come in early summer. After the snow melts, but hopefully before the fire season starts. For transportation an SUV would be best.

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks very much for the information about the surviving big trees. I have read alot about these and the history of logging around the PNW areas so it will be great to finally see them. Another book I grabbed is called 'Forest Giants - of the Pacific Coast ' Robert Van Pelt, which lists many of the different types of giant trees and where they are located. It is also an interesting read for those who are interested in the big timber. I just have to find the time to plan and make the trip over to the U.S.

thanks again for your information.

Regards,

Chris.

The one redeeming thing about Kali is that there are some good people there.

Why they're there I'll never know, but shoot, we all make mistakes.:hmm3grin2orange:

The one redeeming thing about Kali is that there are some good people there.

Why they're there I'll never know, but shoot, we all make mistakes.:hmm3grin2orange:

Some of us were exiled there for a while. I liked being able to grow veggies. I did not like the tan oak and coming back up here to visit with those license plates on the car.:monkey:

My wife is from Kali, she said she wanted to move away since she was ten. I rescued her from there and she loves me for it. :rock:

I lived in Thousand Oaks for six months when I was five. That was enough to know I don't want to ever live there.

And yeah, when we got married I got the Oregon plates put on the car just as fast as I could.

Back