A tree worker dies in Ct.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. RIP Brother.

I wished they showed more pics of the base and of the tree so we could diagnose what happened and learn something. The one shot in the video wasn't enough. Any ideas guys?

My heart goes out to this guy's family. I almost took a ride up there yesterday if I knew what the address was,to see what that base looked like. Fox61 didn't seem to have much info about it, just that it was in Hamden.
Rich

I saw a green leafed oak break off right above the ground (36 inch tree) , only indications were barely visible bore holes in the bark. It was rotted through, just didn't show to the untrained eye.

R.I.P.
We did a large poplar last week as well, after we had it on the ground about 30' up the stem it was hollow leaving an inch on either side of it. It was about 24-26 dbh 65-70' in height.

That sucks.

My biggest fear.especially since carpenter ants seem to be really bad this year.Seen a lot of trees this year that just fell on their own.Then you have some you wonder how in the hell they are still standing.

RIP bro.Prayers go out to the family.

Boss seems like he cares! That is nice to see.

This kinda thing makes me want to hang up the spikes(or buy a bucket truck) when I read it. Especially with two little girls at home. Prayers for the family.

This kinda thing makes me want to hang up the spikes(or buy a bucket truck) when I read it. Especially with two little girls at home. Prayers for the family.

Interesting thought. Anyone know what the ratio of deaths by tree, vs death by bucket is?

Last edited:
Among the 14 fall deaths, four involved falls from a height of 35--50 feet when an aerial lift bucket broke; four resulted from being tied to a branch, limb, or tree trunk that broke off from a height of 30--60 feet; five occurred when the climbing rope broke or was cut by a chainsaw or the climbing safety mechanism failed; and one occurred because of tripping and falling from a height of 12 feet while exiting an aerial lift bucket.

Missed this section or too much for you to read?

Very sad and weird trees just don't snap , theres more to that story like someone overloading it somehow .. Sad though crazy how things can get out of control that quick ....

I was a power co. lineman for 35 years before retiring - I can think of several trees that 'just let go' One was a monster oak, July 4th, hot humid, not a breeze around. This 4 ft dia oak just fell over, blocked a road, broke 2 poles. It was like an ant took the last bite and over she went. Another day in a r.o.w. we were climbing, no trucks running. A short ways in the woods, a big tree just let loose, you hear this ripping sound, then the crash. Sometimes after big storms, a few days even, trees that got weakened just let go. Risky business, always has been,

My condolences to family and friends.

It is unfortunate that the ISA or TCIA or even OSHA do not investigate and analyze these accidents more thoroughly. We get a rough idea of the cause of accidents from the data analysis. But rarely do we see reports drawn from the in depth examination required to learn from these events. Instead we are left to speculate countless times every year.

I had a hollow tree go on me 15 years ago , moved back and got caught up in wait a while ,barbed vines ,and cut my leg lucky i could get out to hospital . should have hit the tree with the back of an axe first , was hot and in a hurry . thats when things go bad . work safe , regards Bob

Latest posts

Back