AA is finally famous

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful running a porty off another tree. It creates horizontal force vectors that screw with the stem. You already had the top out so it wouldn't have mattered there but when I have to do that I run a redirect off the base to another stem.

That's a good point gorman, in this case the diameter of the trunk stem was so big it outsized any of my slings to setup a redirect to the PortaWrap. Sure, I could have daisy chained a couple (or three) slings together, but I felt that the tree was solid all the way up to the top and able to withstand the side loading that the trunk (and climber) would have to absorb.

Also letting the cuts run a bit more would have reduced the side loading, but my ropeman was a rookie climber and has not developed the skills of a very experienced ropeman yet, but he is getting there. The prior comments about shock loading in this takedown have been passed on to him to help him improve his rope handling.

Aerialist

The prior comments about shock loading in this takedown have been passed on to him to help him improve his rope handling.

Aerialist

No matter how good a rope man is if the climber sends a piece free falling down to the rigging point it's probably not going to be pretty! It's not all on the rope man gotta give the guy something to work with.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No matter how good a rope man is if the climber sends a piece free falling down to the rigging point it's probably not going to be pretty! It's not all on the rope man gotta give the guy something to work with.

True enough no tree, the climber has ultimate responsibility of everything that comes out of trees, and where it lands. My point was to stress the importance of a good ropeman, not to diminish the critical importance of the climber.

The ropeman's role is as an essential member of the team, and it is the teamwork of the whole crew working together that insures the safety of person's or property on the job.

Aerialist

Looking at the first frame in the video I would put $3200 on it, without wood removal. 4 man crew one day. But I agree with Jeff, I never give a proposal via pictures. So I'm pretty much just throwing that out there. Looks to me that the canopy was high enough to easily balance those limbs and swing them where they needed to go but I wasn't there.

Looking at the first frame in the video I would put $3200 on it, without wood removal. 4 man crew one day. But I agree with Jeff, I never give a proposal via pictures. So I'm pretty much just throwing that out there. Looks to me that the canopy was high enough to easily balance those limbs and swing them where they needed to go but I wasn't there.

The top of the tree was easy, high enough to swing down without worrying about the slate roof or the Hemlock far underneath. The difficult parts were not videoed because as I said I was ropeman for my two rookie climbers. The lowest limbs were over the home and through the Hemlock. We had to swing them off the home and around the Hemlock, then let them drop precisely when clear. Not rocket science or brain surgery to be sure, but still a challenge to pull off with out damage.

Those lower limbs took all of one day, partially because my rookies were slow and needed close supervision to get it right. I'm currently under doctor's orders not to climb trees or run with scissors because of blood thinners I am currently on. I violated those orders to go up and take the high canopy down because I felt I would be more effective in the tree than on the ground directing my rookies.

My superstar climber and Nephew, JohnBoy, got out of jail just in time to go up and get the main trunk down. Getting the wood out and grinding the stump took another day, so a three day job stretched to four. Your $3200 guess was about half of my quote for this tree turned out to be.

Aerialist

Doug, someday I hope you like us,, we ain't bad,,just straight up and prepared to be banned,,,
I think you would be a cool guy to hang out with and drink like 13 beer's and talk the ****,,
Jeff

Well it looking at the "sticky" at the top of this section of Arboristsite I am already banned as "the Aerialist". I'd didn't actually remember being banned when I logged in to post the video of the current work we do. So maybe I'll be gone again soon. As far as liking "you" meaning you and Zale and the others that so infuriated me several years ago for trying to learn from others more experienced than I, well that was long ago and "you" all have a chance to be more likable. We'll see how it goes.

Hey I am a cool guy to hang out with, at least I think I am, I have a sense of humor and think I can be funny when off the job. On the job I'm more serious and do run the show. Someone has to be responsible for safety and damage free operation and that's my main job. I take that very seriously.

Aerialist

And maybe not advertise that your "star climber" is fresh out of the clank. Just sayin'.

Be safe out there, and props for still being in the industry at your age you old fart.

Well then, kumbyaa all around! I do have somewhat of a thin skin, and last time around I'm sure I too was "harsh" so we go on from here. Thanks for the concern about my health problems Zale. But I'm doing well, and this too shall pass.

About JohnBoy getting out of jail, just more real life goings on when you own and run a tree service. I've been in court trying to keep various members of my crew out of jail pretty regularly lately and with some success I must say. All just more craziness that make my operation prime reality show material.

The cops around here all love me because I have a shooting range behind my house and a neighbor who calls them every time we go out and let things loose. They have to answer the call and even though my wife backed into a cruiser and did $1000 worth of damage to it recently, they see the humor of my existence and have even taken a few shots with my battle rifle.

Life is good, enjoy it!

Aerialist

I know Angie does background checks on the employer, not the employees though.
Angie's List Jeff.

Back