?? about selling black walnut tree for veneer etc..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may not be the right place to post this but there seem to be many knowledgeable people on here.
In the recent windstorm I had a 50-60 foot black walnut tree get blown down.
It looks like it would have some value as lumber or veneer, it is straight and does not branch till near the top. It is about 40" in diameter.
How can I locate someone local who would buy it (like a sawmill etc..).

look in the local yellow pages, but dont be bummed if you dont have any takers.
If the tree went down in your yard, most mills wont take it for fear that it is full of metal, IE nails, bullets,etc.
The other hurdle that you are going to have is most mills dont have their own trucks, and most truckers are not going to want to deal with just one log. If you have access to a big trailer, you might find a mill that will buy the logs if you deliver them to the mill.
I have had several walnut trees come my way, and the only way I made anything with them was by taking them right to the mill on my trailer. A lot of mills right now are not taking any logs because of the slow market, at least in this area.

Thanks for the info, The tree is in the woods, nowhere near any homes, I know what you mean about metal in them. You have confirmed what I was already thinking. Thanks for the info. I assume I want to have as long of sections as possible on my trailer.

Call your local mills and ask them, first if they are in the market, second what the going price per board feet, and the length that they prefer. Our local mill wont touch anything less than 9 feet in length.
Also ask about arrival times. If they are busy, they are not going to be happy seeing you showing up when they are busy with full trucks coming in. I always brought stuff in around 4pm. Most of the loggers have come and gone, and the mill was quiting for the day at 5, but still had someone to handle the knuckleboom to unload you.
If the prices are not good right now, consider preserving the logs until the price gets better. Saw the logs into whatever lengths they prefer, paint the ends with melted wax to seal the ends and store them up off the ground. You can also use latex paint, but it doesnt work as well as parafin wax.

OK thanks. Do you have rough ballpark of what a 10 log about 3 feet in diameter would be worth? Just want to see if it's worth the effort

I don't know what it would be worth to a mill, but you might consider hiring a guy with a portable bandsaw mill to cut it up for your own use.
I bucked one up about that size for firewood yesterday.Hated to do it, but it was dead and dry.

My neighbor knows someone who has a portable sawmill, we were talking about doing that.

OK thanks. Do you have rough ballpark of what a 10 log about 3 feet in diameter would be worth? Just want to see if it's worth the effort
There is no way of telling without seeing, too many factors. The price in your area is dictated by demand and supply(like everywhere else).
Also, some mills in the case of walnut measure the log by the diameter of the dark center, not the entire log. The outside of walnut is worthless where the wood is light colored.
What ever you do, dont get your hopes up, one tree of walnut will probably not be worth your time and energy when you factor in getting in your trailer and getting it to the mill. Wood prices are very low right now.
I am not trying to discourage you, just give you a reality check. I had one guy a few years ago that thought he had a gold mine with a 34 inch walnut at the base. I cut it down for him,limbed it and cut to 9 ft lengths, loaded it into my trailer and took it to the mill. Charged him 125 bucks, he pocketed out of the deal 160. It took almost the engtire day to knock it down and haul it away, he dragged away the brush.
He was hoping that there would be enough to pay off his truck, he was very glum on the way back to his place. Wouldnt listen to a thing I told him and learned after a hard day dragging brush.

I hear ya, My neighbor and I were discussing the same thing and he said by the time you get it there (closest sawmill is about 45 miles) and gas and everything it's probably not worth all of the work. I cracks me up people at work are saying, that tree is worth thousands of dollars. I am realistic about it and don't have any high hopes. It may end up ar firewood

Thousands? I seriously doubt it unless there is a high demand in your area for walnut.
If you do any woodworking, consider cutting it up into blocks and use it yourself. Another option is to cut it into 4ft blocks with your saw, paint the ends, and put it up for sale on ebay. I sold some earlier this year, and did okay on it. Woodworkers also like rounds for turning. Cut it into rounds 8 to 12 inches thick, paint the ends with wax and put it up for sale on ebay.

do yourself a favor and cut the tree up for fire wood.

trying to hassle around just to make a couple of bucks isn't worth it.

if some one tells you that tree is "worth thousands" offer to sell it to them for a thousand bucks and they can make "thousands" off of it.

I cringe at the thought of a 40" walnut being cut into firewood unless its lightning struck, hollow, or rotten. At that size it could be quarter sawn for gunstock blanks, veneered, or sawn into lumber. Check around....

do yourself a favor and cut the tree up for fire wood.

trying to hassle around just to make a couple of bucks isn't worth it.

if some one tells you that tree is "worth thousands" offer to sell it to them for a thousand bucks and they can make "thousands" off of it.

LOL! There's gold in them there logs.:)

There's a guy up in Amish country up here in north east Ohio who advertises in the local paper. "Will remove large straight walnut trees at no cost" It's a legitimate add and he keeps running it so he must be getting some takers. I imagine it shocks some people when they read it. Like the lady who thought the limbs I pruned off her walnut tree might be worth some money (as in How much are you going to pay me for pruning my tree)?
Phil

CUT IT UP FOR FIREWOOD!!!! ARE YOU NUTS????

All kinding aside. Mill it into boards for yourself. Find someone with a woodmizer to mill it up. If you haven't done this before it is interesting to watch and kind of fun to do. Spend maybe a few hundred on the milling. Have you priced out rough walnut lumber at the local sawmill/reseller. Your probably pushing $3.50-$4 a bf for kiln dried. The mills might not be paying alot but the wood to the average woodworker is still expensive

Looking at my bf spreadsheet a 36" x 8' log will produce 330bf. Do the math.

I am a woodworker and I cringe at the idea of wasting this wood. Saw it and let it dry for a few years. If you don't use it sell it for a few bucks a bf

Chris

CUT IT UP FOR FIREWOOD!!!! ARE YOU NUTS????

All kinding aside. Mill it into boards for yourself. Find someone with a woodmizer to mill it up. If you haven't done this before it is interesting to watch and kind of fun to do. Spend maybe a few hundred on the milling. Have you priced out rough walnut lumber at the local sawmill/reseller. Your probably pushing $3.50-$4 a bf for kiln dried. The mills might not be paying alot but the wood to the average woodworker is still expensive

Looking at my bf spreadsheet a 36" x 8' log will produce 330bf. Do the math.

I am a woodworker and I cringe at the idea of wasting this wood. Saw it and let it dry for a few years. If you don't use it sell it for a few bucks a bf

Chris

make an offer to buy it from them.......

I cringe at the thought of a 40" walnut being cut into firewood unless its lightning struck, hollow, or rotten. At that size it could be quarter sawn for gunstock blanks, veneered, or sawn into lumber. Check around....

+1 I have too agree.
As far as a mill or whatever buying it, that would be quite a long shot for a single log. Veneer has too meet several grading specs also but an individual with a band mill or even someone with an alaskan setup might certainly be interested for the furniture lumber. Wish we had black walnut up this way! Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back