Accidentally bought another 346XP NE yesterday...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 359 vs 357xp????

I'm in between these two saws and I want to purchase soon! I have a Promac 700 with plently of power but not the easiest to change chain and with manual oiler is not as user friendly as my small husky 51. I'm looking for a in-between those saw and see quite a difference in price of the 59 and the 357xp. Any advise??? I'm worried the 59 doesn't have the power I'm looking for but I like the price. Thanks in advance!!:dizzy:

Mcculloch ProMac 700
Husqvarna 51
1974 Homemade Woodsplitter

splain this statement to me. is the 357 heavier than list and less powerful or is the 372 lighter and more powerful than specked or is the 357 heavier and the 372 more powerful than it specs out??

The 357xp is about .8 pound heavier than advertised.

You do know that Jonsered makes a Red version of the 346NE in the 2153 don't you? Just make sure to lose the cat muffler and prepare to GRIN!

Well after 35 years of breathing in saw exhaust, I like the idea of the cat muffler. What makes me grin is how I file my chain.:)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Avoid the cat equipped saws at all cost. First thing everybody does is replace the muffler on the cat models, or split the existing and gut them. They produce more heat and restrict power, two bad things, and I highly doubt they save the environment enough to warrant a green gas cap. Look around until you find a non cat 346XP, my dealer just got a shipment of 6 346XP no cat saws from Husqvarna so they ae still available.

Scott

Its funny because I remember years ago when Stihl tried to introduce the European designed cat muffler in North America. But was kicked out of the woods because the forest service said it was a fire hazard. Of course EPA wasn't looming over our heads then but alot of loggers liked the idea of working in a easier to breath enviroment.
Like the new strato saws coming out they may have a little less power, but the fuel you save and the time you save refueling makes up for any power loss. And again work on that chain filing.

Last edited:
I guess you will have to schedule another trip to the dealer to get the z-turn! Bummer! I hate when that happens!

Or, how are you going to use the saw to cut grass? :monkey: LOL

Dan

I thought thats what the 1/2 wrap handle bar was for?

ak4195

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Avoid the cat equipped saws at all cost. First thing everybody does is replace the muffler on the cat models, or split the existing and gut them. They produce more heat and restrict power, two bad things, and I highly doubt they save the environment enough to warrant a green gas cap. Look around until you find a non cat 346XP, my dealer just got a shipment of 6 346XP no cat saws from Husqvarna so they ae still available.

Scott

Well, I would plop down $420 for a non-cat one, but I am too far away from Indiana!

Sounds Like It`s time to Accidentally spend money and buy the larger zero turn mower. :~) :greenchainsaw:

Technically it was an accident. I went in there looking at a larger zero-turn mower for the property we just bought. I picked up the 346XP NE as I walked by it (course of habit) and the guy mentioned he had a 3/8 rim to fit it. I had traded in my brand new 346XP because I really "needed" a 372XP and I wasn't a fan of the 18" bar/.325 safety chain combo that came with it. After a little haggling we arrived a nice guy price for just the powerhead and out the door I went. Much cheaper than buying the larger zero-turn that I went in to look at.

Scott
It's sad.... If'n you'd just bought a 361 instead of that heavy 372xp, you wouldn't need two saws..... And you'd be protected from get'n Cancer as long as you owned it...
What a shame..:greenchainsaw:

It's sad.... If'n you'd just bought a 361 instead of that heavy 372xp, you wouldn't need two saws..... And you'd be protected from get'n Cancer as long as you owned it...

True, but think of all the time I will save not having to mess with the inferior air filtration on that Stihl. Heck, I'll have everything fell, limbed, and bucked by the time you have cleaned out that dirt catcher of a saw. The cancer thing would be nice though...

P.S. Unlike most people around here that are brand slaves I have ran both and chose to buy Husqvarna over Stihl, both great, just like the air filter and high revs of the Husky's. My brother cuts timber for aliving and is a dyed in the wool Stihl guy. He said there is nothing wrong with Husqvarna saws, he just has had great luck with Stihl since day one, plus a good dealer nearby. To each his own.

Scott

Last edited:
:laugh: Dirt catcher... Don't know bout that...

Only way you'd beat me is if you ran both those saw at the same time, one in each hand.... :laugh:

But in all seriousness though, the cancer thing is a big plus......

Congrats on the new saw! :cheers:

Thanks man! It's alot of fun to run, very light weight, even more so than the specs would indicate.

Scott

You welcome!
Have fun tear'n that wood up!

P.S.
I bought a X-Mark Laser Z zero turn last year. The cut quality is awesome and it's cut my mowing time down to a 1/3 of what it was on the Deere lawn tractor. From my research, if cut quality is you main priority, the X-Marks are best. If durability is the priority then Scag is best, but both are close in those areas.

My father-in-law has a Lazer Z XS, 72 in" beast and it cuts great. He had a Tiger Cub 48" previously, also very nice but rode rough as a cob. Both great brands. I have a Ferris IS1500Z 48" and love it, just a little too small for my new place, looking at a Snapper Pro S200X, made by Ferris, very similar to the biggest Simplicity that they make. I'll miss the suspension of the IS but I really need the 61" deck.

Scott

Back