Actual handheld blower experience please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a BG55. Buy a exhaust screen for a BG85. Watch the plug and adjust carb as needed.

Echo made really good handheld units. Not sure about current models because our newest one is 15 years old now.

We switched to Stihl for small equipment when we switched dealers. The small Stihl blowers with the non-adjustable EPA carbs are hardly worth messing with. Out of seven they all quit running within about a year. We started buying the shredder vacuum models because they have adjustable carbs. Cut the tabs and they run for years.

Mostly I say get a backpack unit. So much easier for all but the smallest jobs.

Mr. HE:cool:

I haven't checked, but I don't know how much backpack blower I would get for my price cap of $250 incl. tax (was $200 but I think I'll not regret spending the extra $50 for a purchase that should last me a very long time). I know used is an option, but there's not much on the local CL or other local papers. And I don't trust ebay for this kind of purchase.

Now if I had your money...:)

Kevin

I'm gonna agree with what everyone else here has said: The best overall handheld blower for the money is a used backpack.

Glad to see i'm not the only one the hand held blower wears out. Figured i was just a panty waist.lol Kevin seriously if you plan on running it for long periods of time you're gonna wish for the backpack. Something about the gyro effect of the blower fan makes them hard to hold steady for a long time. If you could find a decent used backpack that's the way i would go. The bg-85 has plenty of blowing power if you can hang on to it long enough. For blowing sidewalks and short jobs it will be fine just don't plan on blowing a whole yard with it unless you have a very small yard. I'm pretty sure you're yard is big from the pics that you have posted. If you do blow a few hours with one , please come back and tell us how many cramps you got.lol

Glad to see i'm not the only one the hand held blower wears out. Figured i was just a panty waist.lol Kevin seriously if you plan on running it for long periods of time you're gonna wish for the backpack. Something about the gyro effect of the blower fan makes them hard to hold steady for a long time. If you could find a decent used backpack that's the way i would go. The bg-85 has plenty of blowing power if you can hang on to it long enough. For blowing sidewalks and short jobs it will be fine just don't plan on blowing a whole yard with it unless you have a very small yard. I'm pretty sure you're yard is big from the pics that you have posted. If you do blow a few hours with one , please come back and tell us how many cramps you got.lol

Y'all are making this tough on me.:)

SS (and everyone else who has recommended a used backpack), I believe what you're saying, but finding one locally won't be easy. And I'm picky...so that'll make it that much harder. I'll have to do some more research and see which backpack blower I would want in a used condition (air volume specs.) and that I could realistically afford ($250...same as what I would pay for the BG 86, taxes incl.).

Kevin

Y'all are making this tough on me.:)

SS (and everyone else who has recommended a used backpack), I believe what you're saying, but finding one locally won't be easy. And I'm picky...so that'll make it that much harder. I'll have to do some more research and see which backpack blower I would want in a used condition (air volume specs.) and that I could realistically afford ($250...same as what I would pay for the BG 86, taxes incl.).

Kevin
I wish the gtg was soon and i would bring the 85 and let you use it for a while, it won't take long before you will say ok i see what you guys mean. Not steering you away from it if the jobs you do are small ones. it will work like a champ on small blowing jobs. It will work good on long ones too, it's just the tiring of the wrist and hands. Go to a dealer and see if they will let you run one for a short period of time. you will feel the gyro effect. I realize their not gonna let you run it long but you can get an idea of how it's gonna feel. Now you may have extremely strong wrist and hands and it won't bother you.

This thread interest me as I just bought a Stihl BG-86 yesterday.......I bought the blower to blow leaves out of residential home gutters and driveways......I do alot of gutter cleanings in the fall. I also have a hand held Redmax EBZ2600 that is 3 years old and is used for the same. The Stihl 86 has been much improved over the 85 that has been out for a few years. The BG 85 was the standard pretty much for hand helds over the last few years from my research. The BG 86 is extremely smooth to hold in your hands as the improved "Anti-vibe" is improved over the BG 85. I went with the "Easy2start" feature for only $20.00 more. List is $249.00 with the "Easy2start"......Is this blower worth it? The EPA has been kicking our asses with these emissions and catalytic BS. Ask me again in about 30 days as I am newer to this model if I love the BG 86 or not?. I am impressed with the first look quality and feel of the unit along with limited usage so far. :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
If you even burn brush piles a good backpack blower can really get then blazing. A handheld can too but the backpack will sit upright on its own and at just above idle really crams the oxygen to a fire.

I have one of each

I have an Echo PB-46 backpack that I bought 10 years ago when we moved to a lot with hardwood trees. I have nerve entrapment issues in both elbows, and cannot tolerate a lot of weight in my hands for any length of time. Mine's a great backpack blower, but there may be better ones out there. My only gripes are that sometimes it bogs down a bit when you hit the throttle, and it's a pain to get that thing on my back just to blow a little grass off the sidewalk and driveway. I just adjusted the carb on it so I think I have cured the carb problem. It's never given me a minute of trouble otherwise. I tell people it's strong enough to knock young squirrels right out of the tree.

Soooooooo, last year I caught a sale on the Stihl BG-55 at the local Ace hardware store, and brought it home. It is fantastic for walkways and driveways, but I would not want to run it for an hour. I bought it because it was the lightest model they made, and I can easily grab it and go. My only gripe is it can be hard to start, but there's a trick to it. The choke only has two positions, full choke and no choke. You have to cheat a bit. Pump the primer bulb 9-10 times to make sure it's got fuel, lock the throttle open, full choke, and give it a pull. It will attempt to fire. When it does this, move the choke off a little, just a little, and then pull again. Mine starts right up.

There's a hidden benefit with one of each that I only realized later. The BG-55 is so light my wife can handle it. And with me on the Echo, the two of us can clean up the leaves like you wouldn't believe. Much easier to herd them in the right direction with two blowers!

Good luck with the decision, but if I were you, I'd buy which ever one popped up first at a good price, and get the other style later. That way you can move some leaves now, and even easier later.

I disagree with this post......... There's a hidden benefit with one of each that I only realized later. The BG-55 is so light my wife can handle it. And with me on the Echo, the two of us can clean up the leaves like you wouldn't believe. Much easier to herd them in the right direction with two blowers!

Good luck with the decision, but if I were you, I'd buy which ever one popped up first at a good price, and get the other style later. That way you can move some leaves now, and even easier later.

I have an Echo PB-46 backpack that I bought 10 years ago when we moved to a lot with hardwood trees. I have nerve entrapment issues in both elbows, and cannot tolerate a lot of weight in my hands for any length of time. Mine's a great backpack blower, but there may be better ones out there. My only gripes are that sometimes it bogs down a bit when you hit the throttle, and it's a pain to get that thing on my back just to blow a little grass off the sidewalk and driveway. I just adjusted the carb on it so I think I have cured the carb problem. It's never given me a minute of trouble otherwise. I tell people it's strong enough to knock young squirrels right out of the tree.

Soooooooo, last year I caught a sale on the Stihl BG-55 at the local Ace hardware store, and brought it home. It is fantastic for walkways and driveways, but I would not want to run it for an hour. I bought it because it was the lightest model they made, and I can easily grab it and go. My only gripe is it can be hard to start, but there's a trick to it. The choke only has two positions, full choke and no choke. You have to cheat a bit. Pump the primer bulb 9-10 times to make sure it's got fuel, lock the throttle open, full choke, and give it a pull. It will attempt to fire. When it does this, move the choke off a little, just a little, and then pull again. Mine starts right up.

There's a hidden benefit with one of each that I only realized later. The BG-55 is so light my wife can handle it. And with me on the Echo, the two of us can clean up the leaves like you wouldn't believe. Much easier to herd them in the right direction with two blowers!

It's going to be a one time buy, and only one blower. The ability for my wife to use it is a possibility, although it's not the determining factor.

Stihl's smallest backpack blower (BR 380D) would work for me...but it's $100 more than the BG86. Echo has a new backpack blower (PB-500T) that has similar specs to the BR 380D and the same price. As far as backpack blowers, it's definitely going to have be used to get within my budget, and locally bought or if I buy from a trusted AS member. No ebay. I will wait and see how Talon likes his BG 86 and the new anti-vibe.

Kevin

I wish the gtg was soon and i would bring the 85 and let you use it for a while, it won't take long before you will say ok i see what you guys mean. Not steering you away from it if the jobs you do are small ones. it will work like a champ on small blowing jobs. It will work good on long ones too, it's just the tiring of the wrist and hands. Go to a dealer and see if they will let you run one for a short period of time. you will feel the gyro effect. I realize their not gonna let you run it long but you can get an idea of how it's gonna feel. Now you may have extremely strong wrist and hands and it won't bother you.

I have a few dealers (Stihl) I can deal with, so I'll be calling them to see if they have the BG 86 in stock and if they'll let me run it for a few minutes.

I just thought of a place to advertise what I'm looking for in a used blower. We have a local radio station that has a show in the morning where people can call in to advertise what they have for sale or to call and tell folks what they are looking to buy. Come to think of it, I can advertise what I want in 2 local 'selling' papers. Who knows? I guess I've always just looked to see what folks have to sell instead of asking. I'll catch on...:).

Kevin

It's going to be a one time buy, and only one blower. The ability for my wife to use it is a possibility, although it's not the determining factor.

Stihl's smallest backpack blower (BR 380D) would work for me...but it's $100 more than the BG86. Echo has a new backpack blower (PB-500T) that has similar specs to the BR 380D and the same price. As far as backpack blowers, it's definitely going to have be used to get within my budget, and locally bought or if I buy from a trusted AS member. No ebay. I will wait and see how Talon likes his BG 86 and the new anti-vibe.

Kevin

Don't wait for "my decision"......If this is a one time purchase like you posted above and you are ####ing around deciding........Go with a Stihl backpack......they offer a ton more power for the extra money. More power in life is always better buddy :clap: I personally would always buy a new item >>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

I purchased the Stihl SH-86 earlier this year. A Spring Demo Days sale gave me a 15% discount. It is a BG-86 with a shredder/vac attachment. It is lightweight and handy to use. I am very happy with it. i looked at the Echo and Husky handheld shredder/vac blowers, but I like the Stihl better.

Last edited:
The Echo hand helds are excellent. I have two of them here, got screamin deal on them a few years ago. They are light, powerful, and start easily. They also have adjustable carburetors on them, being a few years old. I have one on loan to my dad, the other is used here almost every day, from cleaning out the lift bay side of the shop to drying off my Road King after I wash it.....Cliff

Most folks in my area run Redmax blowers. I have a HB2300 hand held that has been a great little machine. Handhelds excel in tight areas, delicate plantings, gutters, driveways and sidewalks. You can use them on small lawns but you do get tired running it for longer than about 30 min and it will always flop over when you put it down.

I also have an EBZ8001 backpack. The Kahuna is like having a 372xp strapped to your back. It is great for large areas but it is very cumbersome to use near buildings or in delicate plantings. It is also a pain to transport, store and just drinks fuel. If your needs are not too great, stick with the small handheld and a good rake. Good luck with your choice.

i went to get the BG85 this spring.

my buddy has one and i liked it.

dealer only had the BG86 and they didn't like it.they let me run one in the parking lot.i i didn't like it either.

i ordered the Husky 125BXv and it's awesome.used it all summer no problems.the kill switch and the adjustable tube are great.

it's cheaper than the Stihl too.

Latest posts

Back