Actual handheld blower experience please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. I do like Stihl equipment...but I'm not adverse to other brands. I have researched other brands such as Efco, Maruyama, and a Husky/Redmax blower have been considered. But for lots of reasons, the Echo and Stihl have come up on top...for me. The air intake thing has decided for me in my mind...unless someone who has used both blowers suggests difference.

Kevin

kevin if you lived closer by where im at i be glad to show the blowers i have that im planning on fixing up and selling next spring

I have the SH55.........the vacuum/shredder model of the BG55. Always starts, runs great, never had any issues with it. I did put a second muffler outlet on it though.

It is on the left, and I'm right handed...this might very well be the deciding factor.

Hi, Kevin!

I've found it a bit annoying now and then to have my pants suddenly glued to my blower, but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't call this the most important factor. You'll switch sides now and then anyway.

I have the Stihl BG86, and am very happy with it. I got it used for 90 bucks, and it gets the job done. I have to blow about half an acre with a lot of trees (oak, sycomore, and an ash), and I really should have a backpack, but money is tight. But between the boys, some rakes, and the blower, we manage. The boys fight over who gets to use the blower. :)

I also use it on the gutters. My roof has a fairly shallow pitch, so I just go up the ladder and walk around with the blower and clean off the roof and blow out the gutters. Works very well.

It's got plenty of power. I'm sure the back pack jobs would be better, but until I can afford that, the handheld is doing the job.

yeah,keep believing that.

Most Husky stuff is cheaper than Stihl. Sometimes less expensive too.

Germans loved suckers.what do you think keeps Volkswagen in business.i got one of your great Stihls here with a bad crank.had a few that didn't oil to well.

i got a shelf full of Huskies with no problems.they work almost every day,even in Obama's economy.

i have some pro experience

In all the years I worked lawn crew I have used echo. There backpack and handhelds have never failed me. Also husky makes an ultralite backpack blower for lighter work. I have one, it was only 200 bucks on sale and I love it.

Hi, Kevin!

I've found it a bit annoying now and then to have my pants suddenly glued to my blower, but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't call this the most important factor. You'll switch sides now and then anyway.

I have the Stihl BG86, and am very happy with it. I got it used for 90 bucks, and it gets the job done. I have to blow about half an acre with a lot of trees (oak, sycomore, and an ash), and I really should have a backpack, but money is tight. But between the boys, some rakes, and the blower, we manage. The boys fight over who gets to use the blower. :)

I also use it on the gutters. My roof has a fairly shallow pitch, so I just go up the ladder and walk around with the blower and clean off the roof and blow out the gutters. Works very well.

It's got plenty of power. I'm sure the back pack jobs would be better, but until I can afford that, the handheld is doing the job.

Good info Mark, thanks!

Haven't got a blower yet. Anybody have any experience with the Echo PB-403 or the Echo PB-413? They're not available new from Echo anymore, but a used one might show itself. I'm also interested in used Stihl BR 320's, 340's and 380's. One of these used Stihl's or Echo's should fit in my budget.

Kevin

Haven't got a blower yet. Anybody have any experience with the Echo PB-403 or the Echo PB-413? They're not available new from Echo anymore, but a used one might show itself. I'm also interested in used Stihl BR 320's, 340's and 380's. One of these used Stihl's or Echo's should fit in my budget.

Kevin

I have no experience with the back packs mentioned above. I bought a Stihl BG-86 hand held 2 weeks ago and have been using it more recently. It is a very,very nice well balanced unit with decent power. It takes 3 pulls with my "Easy2start" optional feature that I paid an extra $20.00 for when the blower is cold. From a 1-10 scale........I would rate it a 9 for a hand held ;) (I am a tough grader) for blower power. BP's have alot more power. If you can afford one of the above used BP's in good shape.......I think you may be happier down the road in my honest opinion. Buy one locally if you possibly can so you can try it out before buying. I would avoid Ebay unless you like to gamble. Good luck on whatever you decide. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

I sell redmax Dolmar maryuama jonsered tanaka and now echo! The PB251 I cannot keep them in stock and so far no problems! The echo will fool you because it sounds like it is doing very little till you use it it has a large amount of cfm about it and it starts so easy!

back pack

get a used back pack.you will go nuts with a hand held blower they suck.i have 7 different kinds of blowers.inc. one hand held.kenny

Lowes recently lowered the price on the husky by $10 so now its $139. I bought one using a $10 off card that came in the mail so I paid 129 plus tax. Its a great blower. Sucks air in on the right so good for right handed person. Comes with both flat and round nozzles and has 170 mph and 430 cfm.

Best one for the money.

"The Leaf Blower: is there anything more futile?" -- William Shatner, I Can't Get Behind That
At what point did you contribute to helping this man with his question?
wrifde.gif
####### ........
icon_ak47a.gif

An update. I must recant. I had mentioned that I would not buy a blower from ebay…but I did. I did a lot of praying and bidding and ended up with this one. The pictures are as it came to me:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Opened the box yesterday afternoon, looked it over, put in some mix, throttle to about half on, 2 pulls on choke until it coughed, 1 pull with no choke and it started. The seller said it was a 2006 model. He also said it was ‘like brand new’, and aside from some surface dirt smudges, it looks like new. This is my first blower, and I was impressed by the little bit of blowing I did. I’m gonna like this thing! My wife tried it and she is also hooked. As far as tuning goes, I think idle is supposed to be at 3100. Not sure about max rpm. If anybody has the right numbers, post away please.

Now I’ll have to go over to the ‘manual’ thread and see if I can get a IPL. I believe there are optional curved and flat nozzle tips (and the proper tube for the tips) available. I have downloaded an operator’s manual from the Stihl site (and have ordered a paper copy). Aside from what I read in the manual, is there anything else I should know about this blower?

I know others talk about the BR600 and other big blowers, but for my needs and my wallet, this one will do nicely.

Kevin

A few more pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even had the tools with it...

attachment.php

Kevin

Last edited:
Wow kevin, That dude looks clean. You'll be glad ya got it after a while of use. Congrats and have a blast with it. wear ear protection as the motor is close to you're head.

Thanks. The motor doesn't sound that loud, but after an hour or more, I'm sure it will affect my hearing for the worse.

Kevin

Back