Adventures in chainsaw collecting - week ending 20 November, 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good hunting

Mark--I don't know how you find all these fantastic prizes! In your travels have you run across many diaphrams for 99s or 47s?

Ray

In a word, no.

But, I did get 6 unidentified metering diaphragms/gaskets that look like they should go in a two man saw somewhere but the IPL's don't show anything that looks like those. Look at the photo of the parts spread out on the bench, right above the loop handle to the left, they are stacked one on top of another, three across.

I did get a few gaskets and diaphragms for the 33/35 Series saws. I need to go through the envelopes with the 19xxx numbers on them to see if there are any 3-25 or 47 diaphragms in there. The guy had enough 47 saws you'd think there were some parts somewhere.

There are more gaskets and such to be had yet, I need to find some time and $$$ in order to make another trip to sort through more of the treasures.

Mark

A really great haul Mark. It is always interesting and rewarding when you come across a load of old spares and bits and pieces. You just never know what you may come across amongst the parts, and I would say that in this case - you have definitely hit the Mcjackpot.

Great stuff - looking forward to those updates on the BP-1.

Regards,

Chris.

Mark the 6-diaphragms do not go in a 7-55. I can tell you that much :)

The more I examine the picture, the more I am in awe. A great haul for sure. Just noticed those old rims too.

In a word, no.

But, I did get 6 unidentified metering diaphragms/gaskets that look like they should go in a two man saw somewhere but the IPL's don't show anything that looks like those. Look at the photo of the parts spread out on the bench, right above the loop handle to the left, they are stacked one on top of another, three across.

I did get a few gaskets and diaphragms for the 33/35 Series saws. I need to go through the envelopes with the 19xxx numbers on them to see if there are any 3-25 or 47 diaphragms in there. The guy had enough 47 saws you'd think there were some parts somewhere.

There are more gaskets and such to be had yet, I need to find some time and $$$ in order to make another trip to sort through more of the treasures.

Mark

In your pics, the diaphragms that are amoungst those long/complicated grey gaskets (2-man saw carb gaskets?) look similar to the McCulloch 77 metering diaphragm. Looks to have the same type of tab in the center, and is the same approximate size. The magic part number is 28696A. 47516 is the Pump diaphragm #.......but yours looks to be in fine shape (unlike the metering diaphragm).

Do I spy a Super 250 rubber grip (and a 700/800 series grip) there? I'm coveting a buncha stuff there, including those grips (and the NOS 795 jug, and those handlebars, and that big-Mac bar, and those bar plates, and...). Off topic, but do you happen to have a spare ProMac 10-10 (or PM55) chainbrake handle, spring, and mounting screw/washer that you'd sell? Score any of the 700/800-series oiler/primer/choke rod rubber boots? If you did, I doubt you'd wanna part with 'em...

Last edited:
Ecc - Actually the diaphragms and gaskets are all one piece, I will try to take a better photo of one tonight so others can see them as well.

As far as the other items, yes there are two rubber grips like Super 250 style. I love to give you one but the last spare I had went in a box on it's way to California as of today.

I might come up with a spare PM55 clutch cover and brake but it will have to wait until the PM55 project comes to the top of the heap, and it does not appear that that will be happening soon with the other projects in line.

JJ - I have a 1-70 project saw all boxed up, just waiting for the shipping address. All I can find here is a P.O. box and Fed Ex want a street address and phone number. Would you be interested in the Titan, looks to be a Junior or 40 or 60.

LP- I looked through a bunch of IPL's and can't find anything that looks like those parts. Maybe with a better picture someone would have an idea.

Mark

Ecc - Actually the diaphragms and gaskets are all one piece, I will try to take a better photo of one tonight so others can see them as well.

As far as the other items, yes there are two rubber grips like Super 250 style. I love to give you one but the last spare I had went in a box on it's way to California as of today.

I might come up with a spare PM55 clutch cover and brake but it will have to wait until the PM55 project comes to the top of the heap, and it does not appear that that will be happening soon with the other projects in line.

Mark

Once piece eh? Interesting. I'd like to see some more closeup pics of those as well. Are they diaphragm/gasket assemblies for a 5-49 or some other 2-man saw? The diaphragm portion of that assembly does look similar to the 77 metering diaphragm. That makes sense, as they're from the same time period.

Wasn't expecting you to give away any of the treasures you'd just scored (including another grip). Just said I was coveting them. If any Mac bits that I 'coveted' in your score was surplus/spare (and you were of a mind to part with it), then I'd expect to pay for it of course. Your time and money spent gathering all that 'booty' is certainly valuable..:cheers:

Thanks for shipping that 550 and bars (along with the grip) out here to the left coast. I'll keep my eyes open for FedEx trucks. So Fed-Ex works better for you than UPS or the USPS when shipping saws?

No big rush on the PM 10-10 chainbrake stuff. I'm sure I can scare up the pieces somewhere. These saws appear to be pretty common. May just put a non-brake clutch cover on that saw for a while until I get the brake bits. If I still need them once you get into the PM55 then I'll contact you. I'm sure you'll post pics or a new thread when that project comes around.:yourock:

Last edited:
I may have a small advantage in shipping charges with our "group plan" at work. I have learned that it is much less expensive than USPS has been lately.

I just drop it off with our shipping guy at work, he does the paper work and gives me a slip with the charges that I take to our payroll department and settle up.

As our friend GASoline Gary would say, easy peasy.

Mark

So I just looked on acres site about the BP-1. That sounds interesting. I was quite suprised to see the 10K operating rpm and 12k max.

Tell me and the others to shy to ask just how they work.

Whats the principal behind these little guys. I thought you scored the biggest inch weirdest looking saw ever till I looked it up.

I did read that it was only made for a year due to worries of grenading if the govenor failed.

Is this one of the holy grail saws like the kms-4? If it is and by the responces so far it seems to be CONGRATS!!!:clap:

Bill

Mark, major congrats on the BP-1, I know how long you have been looking for one. Hope to see you sometime soon and get a look at it. Have a great holiday and don't eat to much turkey. JR

Mark - I do have a NOS 3-25 diaphragm here for you. Just haven't got around to mailing it... October was crazy busy and now November is almost gone... I'll get it out to you soon, though. - OMG

billmartin - For real McCulloch guys, the BP-1 is very special like the KMS-4 would be to a Dolmar fan (I'd love to have one of those as well some day). The idea of tbe BP-1 is the balanced piston that works as a sliding intake valve and almost like a supercharger increasing the charge moving through the crankcase. I hope one day soon to see for myself how it runs.

Thanks, Ken. I picked up a couple more 47's as well so looks like my winter will be very busy. Maybe I'll get lucky along the way and get snowed in for a week...

Mark

Latest posts

Back