Advice dealing with a shop/dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought my second new saw last October - a Stihl 460 Mag. I was apprehensive dropping nearly $1000 on a small piece of hardware but a couple of factors led me to it. The main one was I was tired of wrestling with a used 460 that I was depending on to get my winter wood cut, but was constantly breaking down. The local hardware store became a Stihl dealer within the last year and I thought I'd give them a shot. I know the owner and he's a class act and fellow officer in the local Lions club.

Cutting season was bearing down on me so I bought in October and got right to business, cutting about 20 cord. The saw is awesome, but I noticed that for some reason after every tank I'd have to re-tension the chain. I finally got around to taking it in to the shop to have them check it today. Yes - I know I waited longer than I should have. I explained to the shop guy (not the owner) what the deal was. He called me a few hours later saying he checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong. He asked me about new chain vs old (stretching could cause loosening). Also cold vs warm, not pulling up the bar nose when tightening, etc. I know all of those things but was pleasant to him.

When I picked the saw up he had a $15 shop charge on it for labor. I prickled a bit at that. It's not the cost, to me it's the fact that I dropped a large chunk of cash on the saw and it's never held tension, so why is that my cost? Plus the shop guy is just not nice - sour attitude, unpleasant to talk to, and made me sound like a moron for asking why there was a shop charge on what I assumed was a warranty item.

I held my tongue, paid the charge, and figured I should cool off and ask the forum. So, am I out of line by being miffed at the shop charge? How many of you deal with crappy service at your local shop? I must say I'm not too keen on going back for service after warranty just based on the personality of the shop guy.

You said in your post that you know the owner of the store, use that to your advantage and go talk to him. I could see them saying it was use and care and not warranty right off the bat. Sometimes, it's not what you say, but how you say it. Be polite, respectful, speak in a way as not to make a scene (at first) and inquire. If you go in acting like an ass, expect to be treated like an ass, and put out on your ass. I personally would have scoffed at the charge.

$15 sounds cheap to me. If it *was* a warranty item, then I'd scoff at the charge. But as he said, there was nothing wrong with it.

In the shop guys defense, he is following shop policy on what is charged.

If the owner or Boss is there and wishes to waive it under customer support that is his option, and woe bu unto the employee who assumes to hand out a freebie without permission.

15 bones is a bit much for a quick eyeball and no resolution for what should be customer support on a new saw, but at the same time the door is open on that ticket if you take it back for the same issue. If you do take it back in, make sure to mention it to the owner/Boss and see what his response is.

Possibly it's a chain issue? They all stretch a little to a lot when new, and some more than others.
Oiler turned all the way up?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For me i dont go anywhere near a Stihl dealer unless i have no other choose.
Put it this way
rim sprocket $20
Stihl chain 55 cents / drive link
Decomp valve for a 261 $42.30
20 lts bar oil $140
get my drift.

Unless you saw suspect damage to the bar clamping area, the bar, sprocket or chain why would you suspect a warranty claim?

What part of the saw do you think failed?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the saw. Re-tensioning every tank is simple maintenance.

Bill

Couple thoughts

$15 to diagnose an issue even if there isn't one is reasonable, at least around here. Most shops have a clearly displayed sign stating their minimum labor charge. It varies from $25 to $35 depending on the shop.

You did not mention what length bar and chain you're running. Long chains will constantly stretch over their life especially if you're cutting large diameter wood. Noodling is notorious for stretching chains. If I run my PS7900 with 28 inch b&c hard as in stumping or noodling 24 inch long big rounds retensioning the chain every tank is a must, By the same token, my 441CM with 20 inch b&c seems to only need tensioning every couple of tanks.

Take Care`

I don't want to say you're doing it wrong, but how does everything else look? Bar/drive rim, chain tie straps.... If it's too tight then this could accelerate wear on all those components - and when they wear it appears to be losing tension on the chain when in actuality the circumference of chain travel is just getting shorter.

It could just very well be chain stretch under long periods of hard heavy use....

Stihl dealers arent perfecct by NO means. Its like John Deere you pay alot for the green paint

You basically violated Rule 1..that being.."Don't Screw Yourself "..!!

By that..I mean you cut 20 cords..before contacting the dealer about your problem.
That's a lot of tank refills ("need to re-tension chain after every tank") before submitting to the dealer.

I just think you would have fared better if you had brought the saw in after the first several re-tensions.

It could possibly be that you just got a bad chain that stretches way more than it should..??

I would definitely take a look at your drive sprocket for wear if this was possibly the case..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Back