advice needed on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

origionalrebel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm looking to upgrade to a bigger saw for cutting firewood. right now i'm using an 032 with a 20" bar for most of my cutting. i have a ms 250 that i never know if it's going to run or not when i need it so i usually end up with ole faithful (the 032). the 250 just don't have the omph i need. last year i cut a large live oak that my daughter had taken down and that lil 250 was completely usless even when it was running right. what i'm looking at is the 261 range saw or the husky equivilent. i won't own another homeowner, farm, or ranch saw. i have access to stihl, husky, jred, echo dealers here. i plan to run a 24-25 " bar mostly because i'm tall and it makes it a little easier to cut stuff on the ground when i don't have to bend as much. i'm gettin old. i can always go with a shorter bar if need be but i want a saw capable of pulling a 24" chain. i don't believe i need a 70cc saw for the extra weight not to mention the extra money. i'm not going to be bogging this chain into a 30" chunk and running it for 8 hrs srtaight. i do cut some very big wood but i don't do it professionally. i'd also like to hear some of you experts opinions on these new computerized saws. they kinda scare me.

562 as mentioned above. If it for some reason falls short, send it to Tlandrum. He turned mine into a nasty piece for 60cc.

1. Above has said already a lot. 25" are 60cc+ teritory.
2. Something doesn't sound right with your 250. If running correctly (I asume after a carb rebuild and correct setting incl a muffler modification) it won't be that much slower than a 261, but still 20" max.
3. The Echo 600p can be found on eby rather cheaply(if you are lucky), but those who have it speak highly of it.
4. Any of the major brands Dolmar=Makita, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Echo, Emak=Efco=Oleo Mac, Solo, Stihl will make you happy in their 60cc+ field.
5. Top player at the moment are the Husqvarna "computer"/Auto Tune line. Not sure about Stihl already having it implemented in the larger cc models.
6. Modification of the Husqvarna AT models is very easy. Make a larger hole into the muffler and finished. The AT will compensate for the increased "flow rate" through the engine.

What ever you buy we need proof! So aquiring something and not comming back with pictures of proof will result in severe consequences. It has been rumored that a bunch of AS guys have jumped on some poor new fellow and run off with their new saw...... A video will generally be accepted as a sufficient compensation. ;) :D

Good luck,

1. Above has said already a lot. 25" are 60cc+ teritory.
2. Something doesn't sound right with your 250. If running correctly (I asume after a carb rebuild and correct setting incl a muffler modification) it won't be that much slower than a 261, but still 20" max.
3. The Echo 600p can be found on eby rather cheaply(if you are lucky), but those who have it speak highly of it.
4. Any of the major brands Dolmar=Makita, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Echo, Emak=Efco=Oleo Mac, Solo, Stihl will make you happy in their 60cc+ field.
5. Top player at the moment are the Husqvarna "computer"/Auto Tune line. Not sure about Stihl already having it implemented in the larger cc models.
6. Modification of the Husqvarna AT models is very easy. Make a larger hole into the muffler and finished. The AT will compensate for the increased "flow rate" through the engine.

What ever you buy we need proof! So aquiring something and not comming back with pictures of proof will result in severe consequences. It has been rumored that a bunch of AS guys have jumped on some poor new fellow and run off with their new saw...... A video will generally be accepted as a sufficient compensation. ;) :D

Good luck,

thanks for the feedback. dolmar is pretty much a non option in these parts, no dealer. one dealer is jred,husky,echo. one strictly stihl. i'm gonna finish my splitter build before i buy another saw but when i do buy i will post a pic.

I personally wouldn't run anything over an 18" maybe 20" bar on a stock 60cc pro saw . Just not enough nut for my likes . Professionally ported 60cc might do the trick though .

thanks for the feedback. dolmar is pretty much a non option in these parts, no dealer. one dealer is jred,husky,echo. one strictly stihl. i'm gonna finish my splitter build before i buy another saw but when i do buy i will post a pic.

Your welcome! Glad to give a direction.

In the mean time it would be really easy to check out your 250, put in a new carb kit and do a muffler mod if it warrents(the rest of the saw worth it) the effort.

A ported husky 562 should do it. 25" bars are IMO 70cc territory when talking stock saws. If you just want it for the added reach then go ahead tho. Its a nice thing in certain situations but longer bar = heavier, probably gonna mess up the balance and more teeth to sharpen. Good for some situations but you'll probably get tired of it fast in others. I guess everybody has their own way, as long as it gets the job done. :msp_thumbsup:

I say MS290 with 25" blade. H2H will be along shortly with a pic...
The MS261 is too light, and the MS441RC-M is too heavy.

Your welcome! Glad to give a direction.

In the mean time it would be really easy to check out your 250, put in a new carb kit and do a muffler mod if it warrents(the rest of the saw worth it) the effort.

yep i'm pretty sure the diaphram in the carb is messed up again. first time it messed up was from ethanol. the lil saw is in great shape. i bought it new and it hasn't been used a hell of a lot. it's so low on power i usually use my old 032. what would you reccomend on the muffler?

Get a Husky 562

Compromise a bit on the 24" bar and run a 20" on a 562xp AT. Local Husky shop has sold a bunch of these saws and none of 'em have come back for service. Just make sure your dealer has been trained for the AT. As you probably know, a 24"+ bar means a lot of cutters to sharpen.

Last edited:
me and that 250 have had a rough time ever since i bought it. i bought it on advice from an old saw hand that still believes it will cut with a bigger saw with a bigger chain. all i can say about that is this one won't. i went out to cut wood this past weekend. was going to cut up some blowdowns. i had taken the 250 and the 032 and got new chains for both and had both tuned this past fall. have been cutting big stuff since so i haven't used the 250. it still had my name tag on it from the shop. gassed it and oiled it and started right up. cut 30 seconds and started to bog out. typical. i never know if i'm gonna cut with it or just cuss it.

Not sure you said what size bar you have on the 250, but 16" is about right. Rule of thumb for bar length is no more than 1/3 of the displacement. So that 24" bar calls for a motor 3 times that size, which puts you in the 70cc class for a stock saw.

Just go for any ole 70 and be done with it. Weight diff just aint that much. Any 70 you get will be a pro saw, plenty of parts and expertise out there to keep it running. Want to save coin, get like a husky 365. Pro saw, just doesnt have an xp sticker on it.

yep i'm pretty sure the diaphram in the carb is messed up again. first time it messed up was from ethanol. the lil saw is in great shape. i bought it new and it hasn't been used a hell of a lot. it's so low on power i usually use my old 032. what would you reccomend on the muffler?

There are a lot of threads about muffler mod.

Generally, as nmurph has educated me, muffler mod is cylinder hole size = maximum muffler hole size and then add a spark screen. => f.e. cylinder hole size = 1 square inch => then muffler hole size = max. 1 square inch and then you put a spark screen on to eliminate fire hazard. After that a retune of the carb is neccesary!!! or else the engine could burn up on you because it is running to lean on mix or to rich on air.

It will run better and shouldn't be too far from competing with your 032.

new to me saw on the way

i bought the saw in the trading post sticky (362) if you still want to see pics, lol

Congrats! A MS362 is a really nice saw, they balance nicely with a 20" rolomatic E bar and double dawg with roller chain catcher kit!

Latest posts

Back