Advice needed: Should i buy these saws.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Came across these 2 Dolmar's in good condition and the owner says that they have not been used much. They were purchased several years ago when he lived on a farm but they were not used much and he has since moved back to the city due to his work. He said that they were drained and stored and have not been run for probably the last 2 years.

I have been looking out for another original 7900 as they are hard to find here in excellent low hours condition. Plenty of the newer 7910 versions but they are heavier and lower power due to the emissions thing...:rolleyes:

Plus a nice looking PS-5000. I already own 2 5105's but i use that size of saw so much for my work i figure getting another is not such a bad thing. Plus i imagine there would be some common parts between the 5000 and 5105? Also according to the specs i could find, the main differences are the 5000 has a decomp, but no outside falling spike and is a touch lighter than the 5105. But rated the same power as my 5105. Is this simply a previous version to the 5100?

If someone has knowledge about this saw or has run the 5000 could let me know what they are like i would appreciate it.
Just want to know if they are the same build quality as the 5105 and don't have any known issues with them.

Anyway he wants $1000 but is negotiable. I was going to offer him $800 cash and pickup in person so i can run both saws and look them over.

upload_2014-1-14_0-48-15.png

upload_2014-1-14_0-48-38.png

I say whenever you can spend a bunch of money to get some stuff that you already have plenty of, it's go time!

Yeah, yeah i hear ya. :)

There is logic behind the spending madness. (this time)

If i had another 7900 i could run 2 saws with 2 bars when i'm out working and not have to stop and swap bar lengths on the one saw. Also down the track when they are getting older i could part one out to keep the other running.
Same idea with the PS-5000. I use these size saws all the time with my work, so why not buy something i like now, instead of being forced to buy a model i don't like in the future?
Plus i'm hoping that there are some common parts to my 5105 so i can again part out the worst saw to keep another running in the future. See makes perfect sense...o_O

Yeah, yeah i hear ya. :)

There is logic behind the spending madness. (this time)

If i had another 7900 i could run 2 saws with 2 bars when i'm out working and not have to stop and swap bar lengths on the one saw. Also down the track when they are getting older i could part one out to keep the other running.
Same idea with the PS-5000. I use these size saws all the time with my work, so why not buy something i like now, instead of being forced to buy a model i don't like in the future?
Plus i'm hoping that there are some common parts to my 5105 so i can again part out the worst saw to keep another running in the future. See makes perfect sense...o_O
Do you need them or want them? What is that price like in American dollars or better what percentage of the new price are they going to cost you there?

Do you need them or want them? What is that price like in American dollars or better what percentage of the new price are they going to cost you there?
It's probably around 2/3 new value. Roughly.

I don't think if we are all honest anyone could NEED more than a few saws, but if i had these (especially the 7900) it would be used every week. I would find it easier and time saving to not have to swap between a 20" and 28" or 32" all day while i am working.

As far as prices, our dollars are fairly similar. $1AUD is .90c US. Seeing as the 7900 is not made anymore it would have to be a used one anyway either from the US or here. I don't want the new model of the 7900 the 7910 as it's less Hp and heavier to satisfy the emissions people. When i got my 7900 it was $1199 with a $24". My 5105 18" was $799. So i figure less than half of the new price is not so bad for low hours saws.

Our dollars maybe be similar in value, but our Aussie brothers get raked over the coals on saw prices.

Wolf, what are you guys paying for Dolmars?

I don't think if we are all honest anyone could NEED more than a few saws, but if i had these (especially the 7900) it would be used every week. I would find it easier and time saving to not have to swap between a 20" and 28" or 32" all day while i am working.

As far as prices, our dollars are fairly similar. $1AUD is .90c US. Seeing as the 7900 is not made anymore it would have to be a used one anyway either from the US or here. I don't want the new model of the 7900 the 7910 as it's less Hp and heavier to satisfy the emissions people. When i got my 7900 it was $1199 with a $24". My 5105 18" was $799. So i figure less than half of the new price is not so bad for low hours saws.
Less than half is about right if they are not in beat up condition I would do a compression test then pull the muffler to look at the piston and rings before giving the money over. And the 7900 would be the one I would be more interested in.But there was some talk about bad crank bearings on some 7900 saws look into that.

90 percent of guys on AS only need one saw. There are a few that from what I have gleaned- don't need any..... they just cut cookies- dont even burn wood. Some need one saw in each class. Some need a climbing saw bc of their profession. That said it is safe to say that 98% of the guys on AS that hang out in the Chainsaw forums have CAD so reason and rational thinking are null and void.

Less than half is about right if they are not in beat up condition I would do a compression test then pull the muffler to look at the piston and rings before giving the money over. And the 7900 would be the one I would be more interested in. But there was some talk about bad crank bearings on some 7900 saws look into that.

Yeah i saw that thread when it started but it slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.
My 7900 is fairly new (3 years) so it should have the improved cases. I forgot to ask the build dates of the saws when i spoke to the seller last. I have a feeling both saws are around 5 years old from his story. I am buying them mainly for the 7900. I will be checking the compression and looking at the piston/rings as you suggest.

How would i check for bad bearings?

90 percent of guys on AS only need one saw. There are a few that from what I have gleaned- don't need any..... they just cut cookies- dont even burn wood. Some need one saw in each class. Some need a climbing saw bc of their profession. That said it is safe to say that 98% of the guys on AS that hang out in the Chainsaw forums have CAD so reason and rational thinking are null and void.

I hear you. I have been around here enough now to get the hang the CAD addiction and have seen various peoples "symptoms". :rolleyes: Lucky for me i actually need a climb saw, limbing saws, plus logging saws and pole saws and hedgers for my work. So for the most part i can blend in here and be called a CAD sufferer without raising too much suspicion. :laugh:

I hear you. I have been around here enough now to get the hang the CAD addiction and have seen various peoples "symptoms". :rolleyes: Lucky for me i actually need a climb saw, limbing saws, plus logging saws and pole saws and hedgers for my work. So for the most part i can blend in here and be called a CAD sufferer without raising too much suspicion. :laugh:

Corrrection- No one suffers from CAD. It is an enlightened state of mind where individuals accept that they need multiple saws to be complete and happy.

Bad bearings, the easy way is to pull the pullstart cover and see if the flywheel has any up and down play it should be zero. The sprocket side is a little harder to tell without strippping it down.

Thanks, I thought it would just be the play. I am used to cars, apart from fuel lines, replacing filters and basic stuff working on saws is new to me so id rather ask than stumble in the dark.

Back