Advice on a chainsaw for a newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faman23

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Husqvarna 137 or 142 for use around my property. Are these too small of chainsaws for even light work. I do not need anything massive. Just wondering if they are good, durable, dependable chainsaws. Thanks.

You'll probably get a better response if you post this in the "Chainsaw" forum. If I were looking for a saw that size I'd have to consider an Echo 346 off of Ebay.

I am looking at buying a Husqvarna 137 or 142 for use around my property. Are these too small of chainsaws for even light work. I do not need anything massive. Just wondering if they are good, durable, dependable chainsaws. Thanks.

I have a 136 Husky, 4 years old, no problems here. If yer just cuttin a few trees a year, I think it would work fine. Drain the fuel tank and run it till it quits for storage.

Welcome to the site!

A saw like that should be fine for occasional use. Do be aware that those two models are actually Poulans in orange clothes. The first true Husqvarna is the 340. That said, I am not aware of any consistent shortcomings or points of failure in those two models. Assuming that your goal is to buy new, they should work fine for you.

If you are willing to buy used your options at that pricepoint increase substantially.

Both the 137 and 142 are reliable home owner saws. I would go for the 142 due to the fact that it has got a bit more grunt than the 137. These saws are good for their intended use of property cleanup and maintenance.

The Poulan Pro 295 is around the same price and is built like the old 42 Husky..a much better all around saw than either the 136 or 142

Anyway, the Husky 137 and 142 have not engine made by Poulan. The saw's are build in USA, but engine parts are from SWEDEN.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The Husky 42 isn't comparable to the Poulan assambled Huskys (36, 41, 136, 141, 137 and 142) at all. It is a "simplified" version of the 242, and a much better saw...........:)

You right....got my numbers crossed....totally different animal the 41 evolved to the 141 then the 143.....my mistake I was confused in memory of the 36 136 137 progression.

OK, was the Husky 257 a rebadged Poulan, or bona-fide Husky? I wonder cuzz my boss has one, I have used and it worked well. Im curious now.:popcorn:

OK, was the Husky 257 a rebadged Poulan, or bona-fide Husky? I wonder cuzz my boss has one, I have used and it worked well. Im curious now.:popcorn:

The only Husky's assembled by Poulan are some of the small homeowner models, like the 136/137. 141/142 and some of their ancestors.

The 257 is a Swedish designed and built saw, coming from the Husky factory. It has no Poulan contact in its design or assembly.

Check out a Stihl MS210..I have had mine going on three years...I usually let "newbie"climbers run it.It has given no trouble at all.

Drain the fuel tank for storage, but don't run it till it quits. In a two stroke the fuel is your lubrication. Also as it runs out of gas the mixture will get really lean and the saw may overrev.

"Run" it out of fuel is the wrong term. He meant to say "idle" the saw til it quits, to remove all the fuel from the carb, as advised by Stihl and Husky for longer term storage. At idle, the load is very small, and it will not harm anything.

Latest posts

Back