After the rain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 6'6" grandson by the growing pulp pile - he cut everything today

8702-1389576441-d0fd964479ef84d7037c12f109340d51.jpg

Water over the road

8705-1389576477-a37505c7115dc6c76c44379321630c46.jpg

Cut for about 6 hours today and got abot 1500bf of logs and 8 cords of pulp, not too profitable

Spent 4 hours with the forester today marking some better pine, still a lot of pulp but he did mark quite a few nice pine averaging 1000bf to a tree. We also marked a bunch of hardwood, mostly pulp for firewood, the soil isn't really suited for nice hard maple but we left enough that it is a good sugarbush, southeast facing hillside, that's about all they will ever be. Should have a nice load of ash logs and a couple loads of aspen pulp. Need some of that to make this job pay, it will be interesting to see what the timber will look like in 10 years after all the improvement work.

Grandson cut'em down, son skidded and I cut'em up and stacked it. 4 tanks of gas thru the 272 and didn't have to sharpen, the wood was clean and the dirt and rocks on the header were covered in ice. Not a bad day but not a big payday. Pine pulp pays squat.

how much do you usually cut a day at full tilt,by the way you have some nice looking wood

It all really varies with the wood we happen to be in. This day it was mostly large pine with multiple crooked prongs, generally all pulp so it added up fast. My grandson doesn't always cut down for us but when he does the wear me out on the header. If my son is cutting and skidding himself we usually get 3500bf of logs in a 6 hour day plus pulp from the tops (8" and under). We have learned to work at a pretty even pace. To quote my grandfather," The hurrier I go the behinder I get."

This was a pretty good weekend's work, yesterday my son cut and skidded about 6 cords of hardwood and we got 3 sawlogs . Could have been better but the shift linkage on the 240 broke so he went to weld it while I flagged a new skid trail from the newly marked wood.

Today was better, grandson cutting down, Jr. skidding and the old man cutting on the landing. 7000bf pine logs and about 4 cord pulp.

SAM_0221.JPG SAM_0222.JPG

This is heartbreaking, beautiful looking logs with red rot, the mill would reject them, $200 tree now worth maybe $10.00

SAM_0218.JPG SAM_0219.JPG

Maybe a video of the water on the landing? Turn down the volume, it's a 353 in the loader.

The water is running all over the job, freezing on the trails and in the woods where there is no frost it is mud.

Latest posts

Back