Air Filter on a Stihl 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you replace the air filter on a Stihl 029 periodically, or do you just clean it?

If you just keep it clean...what makes you decided to replace it?

How are the aftermarket air filters compared to the Stihl air filters?

Thanks.

After a lot of cleaning, you start to get tiny holes and tears in the
material, that lets in fine dust. In general, the aftermarket ones are junk.

You can fine original Stihl stuff on e-bay though.........

As long as it's solid and no holes you should be set. Most people blow them off with compressed air, don't use any solvents to clean them. A new one goes for about 25$ if it's a 290 Farm Boss, or about 12$ for a MS250.

Last edited:
I was repairing an 029 for a guy a while back and he had wrapped panty hose around the filter. I removed it and found out he had poked holes through the flocking on the mesh to try to "let more air in"... once he found out that more air also meant more crud... he put the panty on it. He had been runnin' it this way for years... just changin' the panty once in awhile... :laugh:

I got him a new flocked filter.

Gary

Just be real careful taking it off, I broke the clips off on mine being a little overzelous. Stihl dealer got me for $14.95 for a new one. I really don't like the clip design, real PITA to pull off. Been playing with an extra mount to see if I can get a K&N on it.

I was repairing an 029 for a guy a while back and he had wrapped panty hose around the filter. I removed it and found out he had poked holes through the flocking on the mesh to try to "let more air in"... once he found out that more air also meant more crud... he put the panty on it. He had been runnin' it this way for years... just changin' the panty once in awhile...

That's hilarious AND not a bad idea considering how much a new one costs. I tried doing that with mine, but instead of hose I tried a paper coffee filter (unsnapped both halves and put it inbetween). Saw ran too rich tho, so off to the dealer I went. Think I try that one next time, tho. Thanks!

I was repairing an 029 for a guy a while back and he had wrapped panty hose around the filter. I removed it and found out he had poked holes through the flocking on the mesh to try to "let more air in"... once he found out that more air also meant more crud... he put the panty on it. He had been runnin' it this way for years... just changin' the panty once in awhile... :laugh:

I got him a new flocked filter.

Gary

At work we have a couple of mowers with paper elements with foam prefilters. That kind of sounds like that setup. Maybe he is on to something,not poking holes though. :confused:

Two kinds (at least) out there. One is with the hole for compensating carb. One is without the hole. Make sure you get the right one.

On my PM605, which I'm pretty sure has the same filter, I used the type of foam used as a pre-filter for some regular paper filters, don't remember where I got it, I was a very young man at the time. I did not like the flocked screen filter, it looked good for flow, but bad for dust. I would remove the foam filter I had fabricated and clean with dish soap, then oil with penetrating oil and squeeze out with paper towel and re-install. Man I loved that saw.

After the wind storm here I got bombarded by saws that either wouldnt start or run right. The 610 is my cousins. It needed a fuel line and clean carb. I blew out air filter but it still looked oily/dirty. I dont want to mess with it and ruin it plus didnt have time to mess with. :)

Latest posts

Back