Alaskan Chainsaw Mill on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncurtis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for the heads up. That is something I would have overlooked. What type of mill do you run or is yours home made? I am in the researching process and there is a lot of good information and pictures on here. I have a lot more reading to do in order to get a good feeling/idea of what will work the best.

I dont like it, gotta take the saw off to change chains....I change chains a lot.

It's not essential to use the inboard /side log rollers.

Aside from these rollers it's a bolt to the bar unit and dead easy to change the chains.

It would also be easy to adapt and mount the side rollers upside down so they would not be in the way of chain changing.

The reason I don't like that particular design is that it is for a fixed length bar.

I have read that another downside to that design is that the rollers ride up on any sawdust on the guide board.The square tube on the Alaskan will push it aside.

I have read that another downside to that design is that the rollers ride up on any sawdust on the guide board.The square tube on the Alaskan will push it aside.

Also very good information! I was wondering why the newer Alaskan CSM's were made with square tubing compared to this older style like this one with the round. It makes more sense now.

Thats a neat article about the chainsaw mills! Also the gasoline from alcohol article! I guess it finally became economical enough for them to do it.

You're right about the square tubes on the Alaskan Chainsaw Mill. Looks like they haven't changed it much since 1978. But the price is about $100 more.

Thanks for the article

It's not essential to use the inboard /side log rollers.

Aside from these rollers it's a bolt to the bar unit and dead easy to change the chains.

It would also be easy to adapt and mount the side rollers upside down so they would not be in the way of chain changing.

The reason I don't like that particular design is that it is for a fixed length bar.

Do you think it would be a worthwhile mill at the right price? Or better off saving up for a Alaskan MK III mill? Or trying to make one?

I haven't fabricated much before but I know a couple people that could help me along the way.

the rollers ride up on any sawdust

this is what kills this design for me. after your initial guided cut, you'd have to brush all the sawdust off to make any subsequent cuts.

i wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for it, considering that if you have a friend with a welder you can make your own for cheap (you don't even need a welder for that matter, look at the mini mini mill thread). search around here, loads of good ideas for the taking.

making your own is very satisfying.
good luck!

this is what kills this design for me. after your initial guided cut, you'd have to brush all the sawdust off to make any subsequent cuts.

i wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for it, considering that if you have a friend with a welder you can make your own for cheap (you don't even need a welder for that matter, look at the mini mini mill thread). search around here, loads of good ideas for the taking.

making your own is very satisfying.
good luck!

Thanks for everybody's input. I think I will hold off on putting a bid on the mill. I will do some more research on here and probably will try my hand at making one. My brother is a machinist and a good welder as well. Only thing is he is about a 1000 miles away in northern MN. I will get some ideas together, as well as a parts list and maybe next November when I go back home for deer hunting we can work on it together.

Check this out.Found this article when looking for info on my 185CD.
Chain Saw Mill

That guy doesn't waste any time. Thats a cool mill he built. Also a nice old saw minus the questionable mods. The mill doesn't look overly complicated. I need to learn how to weld so I can get to it! But first I will check out the mini mini mini mill thread. Maybe I won't have to do much welding.

What do you think of the sandwiching of the bar design? Seems to get the job done but I imagine securing the bar by drilling it would be better?

That guy doesn't waste any time. Thats a cool mill he built. Also a nice old saw minus the questionable mods. The mill doesn't look overly complicated. I need to learn how to weld so I can get to it! But first I will check out the mini mini mini mill thread. Maybe I won't have to do much welding.

What do you think of the sandwiching of the bar design? Seems to get the job done but I imagine securing the bar by drilling it would be better?

That's a very ordinary design. Once again designed for a fixed bar length and the bar sandwiching method slows down chain changes - there are much better designs - just look around on this forum.
Start by reading the Sticky thread at the top of the foru,
- check out post # 25 which shows the different ways that can be used to attach to the bar.
- post #60 on general design principles.

Click this link on his website to see where the shop is.
The New Workshop
That is one fun to read site.Also just saw solution to my tank vent problem in first photos of 185cd.Someone has installed a vent from a 357 on a short tube.

Back