All dirt bikes and quads designed for children under 12 are BANNED.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a royal example of our govt. playing too big of a role in our lives. All dirtbikes and quads designed for children under 12 are now banned because of small amounts lead in the parts. Bush signed the bill last August and it went in effect on Feb. 10th. I urge all of you to please take a few minutes to write your representative asking for this ban to be lifted.

Here is an article describing some of it:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/238...Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

Last edited:
I am sure the dealers have found the loophole, like they are being sold as pitbikes or something of the liking...

It is about time!

My 2 year old son has had learning problems due to him sucking on the frame of my XR 80.... I don't know what I would have done until the gov. stepped in to ban this terrible little bike!

:dizzy:

I've heard about this but don't understand how it came about. Obviously kids aren't out there chewing on dirt bikes (if they are little lead paint should be the least of your worries) which makes me think this wasn't the intent of the law. If that's the case who brought attention to it? If they had kept their traps would bikes be included in enforcement of this ban or would they have gone unnoticed?

Also why does the ban include children up to 12? Are 10 yr olds still putting toys in their mouths?

I've heard about this but don't understand how it came about. Obviously kids aren't out there chewing on dirt bikes (if they are little lead paint should be the least of your worries) which makes me think this wasn't the intent of the law. If that's the case who brought attention to it? If they had kept their traps would bikes be included in enforcement of this ban or would they have gone unnoticed?

Also why does the ban include children up to 12? Are 10 yr olds still putting toys in their mouths?

Well, with the lead scare on toys last year, it started an investigation of all toys of young children. The govt. dept. that oversees this kind of stuff some how got small/mini dirtbikes included and decided that the small amounts of lead in the bikes were unacceptable. Hence the banning. Way too extreme for my taste and will cripple this industry even more. First the EPA and now the lead BS. The amounts of lead are ridiculously low and like others have said, nobody is eating their bikes. :chainsaw::censored:

It is about time!

My 2 year old son has had learning problems due to him sucking on the frame of my XR 80.... I don't know what I would have done until the gov. stepped in to ban this terrible little bike!

:dizzy:

Should I put on diapers now!!.....Government is getting out of control. I will admit to having brain damage FROM falling of a cycle:cheers: BUT, who lets the kids suckle on the frame and fenders??? Come ON!!!
Give it a few years and we will have to have helmets just to walk down the street!!
GUBERMENT WARNING.........Keep all kids in a safe enviroment..........Wrap them all in bubble wrap:dizzy:

Look at all the second hand type stores that had to pitch stuff because it may have lead in it. But hey we are looking out for the little guy, fix it so we cant by used stuff to save a little money.

Lead isn't just in the paint. It's in the alloys of a bunch of the metal on bikes, quads and snowmobiles. My best friend is an Arctic Cat dealer and he's stuck with a bunch of kid's sleds and quads. He can't sell them and Cat isn't helping him a bit :(

Just look at all the cheap Knock off Chinese crap bikes and quads that are being sold at auto parts stores and such... I think those are the real targets...

Gary

Yes they are main concern, but all bikes have lead in them. Shops had 6 months to sell off all their stock of bikes and parts. Now everything is frozen. You want clutch lever for a kx50, can't even order it at a shop.:dizzy:

There was a story where a guy went in for a pretty generic part for his kawi thumper, dealer couldn't sell it to him because the part was shared with a banned bike.:dizzy:

Thats ok , all we have to do is what my dad did , slap his eight yr. on a cr125 for his first bike because he didn't want to buy me another until i was 15. I'm fine just a few broken bones and some missing parts but thats ok because god gave everyone doubles.:dizzy:

The ban doesn't affect any REAL bikes or quads like those made by Honda, Yamaha, etc...just the cheap Red Chinese junk that has taken over Pep Boys. I have to order brake rotors for my F-350 and wait a week for them, but I can take home my choice of the worst that Communist engineering has to offer that day. :bang: Everyone is bellyaching about ordering parts-do you honestly think that the fly-by-night factory that built the rattletrap piece of garbage your kid is riding will actually be in business a year or two down the road when the thing inevitably takes a dump? They'll either have shut down because of their former workers are dead or too maimed to work because the complete lack of any safety regulations whatsoever, or will have shifted production to something completely different that has a higher profit margin. Buy your kid a quality ORV from an established company or build them a go-kart yourself.

The ban doesn't affect any REAL bikes or quads like those made by Honda, Yamaha, etc...just the cheap Red Chinese junk that has taken over Pep Boys. I have to order brake rotors for my F-350 and wait a week for them, but I can take home my choice of the worst that Communist engineering has to offer that day. :bang: Everyone is bellyaching about ordering parts-do you honestly think that the fly-by-night factory that built the rattletrap piece of garbage your kid is riding will actually be in business a year or two down the road when the thing inevitably takes a dump? They'll either have shut down because of their former workers are dead or too maimed to work because the complete lack of any safety regulations whatsoever, or will have shifted production to something completely different that has a higher profit margin. Buy your kid a quality ORV from an established company or build them a go-kart yourself.

Ha, you're talking straight out your ass. Go on any "REAL" bike companies' website and find a bike under 85cc.......good luck.

Here is an example from Yamaha:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/40/0/home.aspx

Latest posts

Back