All dirt bikes and quads designed for children under 12 are BANNED.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, you're talking straight out your ass. Go on any "REAL" bike companies' website and find a bike under 85cc.......good luck.

Here is an example from Yamaha:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/40/0/home.aspx

Fair enough-I thought that the Japanese bikes weren't made with cheap plastics. I guess even they outsource to Red China now. That just sucks. I still stand by my comments about the Red Chinese made stuff falling apart in a year and the company having gone out of business by then. The stuff (like everything made in Red China) is disposable.

Fair enough-I thought that the Japanese bikes weren't made with cheap plastics. I guess even they outsource to Red China now. That just sucks. I still stand by my comments about the Red Chinese made stuff falling apart in a year and the company having gone out of business by then. The stuff (like everything made in Red China) is disposable.

You are dead on about the cause being the junky chinese bikes. They got the real bikes sucked in, which is too bad. Definitely rough times at the dealers....

Will be interesting to see what comes of this:

In defiance of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 which prohibits the sale of youth motorcycles and ATVs deemed unhealthy for children under 12 due to suspected high-levels of lead content, motorcycle dealer Malcolm Smith will sell these banned vehicles as a sign of protest. As a sign of support, a group of small business people and high-profile motorcycle industry celebrities, including racers Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath, Glen Helen Raceway owner Bud Feldkamp, and motorsport design guru Troy Lee have all agreed to be on hand to purchase banned units for use by their own children and grandchildren.

Malcolm Smith Motorsports

7599 Indiana Avenue, Riverside, CA 92504

http://www.malcolmsmith.com

Link to protest page:

http://www.kidslove2ride.com/

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what comes of this:

In defiance of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 which prohibits the sale of youth motorcycles and ATVs deemed unhealthy for children under 12 due to suspected high-levels of lead content, motorcycle dealer Malcolm Smith will sell these banned vehicles as a sign of protest. As a sign of support, a group of small business people and high-profile motorcycle industry celebrities, including racers Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath, Glen Helen Raceway owner Bud Feldkamp, and motorsport design guru Troy Lee have all agreed to be on hand to purchase banned units for use by their own children and grandchildren.

Malcolm Smith Motorsports

7599 Indiana Avenue, Riverside, CA 92504

http://www.malcolmsmith.com

Link to protest page:

http://www.kidslove2ride.com/

Ya, my dad told me about this a few days ago. That is a really cool thing to do and they got some big names to contribute.

Ya know what the problem is Epick, the gov't has seen how we act now as adults and they figure that since we've been riding stuff since we was little guys, that all the lead we tasted as kids has to be the source of these strange behavior.

all seriousness I signed a petition a few weeks back about this as I am shopping for a CRF50 or TTR50 for my boys this summer. I told my youngest (3 1/2) if he quit crapping and pissing in his pants I'd buy him a dirt bike.... The little guy took me serious and reminds everytime he uses the potty. I was going to do it over Christmas but figured I'd wait to spring. So it looks like I start looking for a some used bikes and pray to god I don't need major parts anytime soon before they get their heads out of their stupid asses.

Ya know what the problem is Epick, the gov't has seen how we act now as adults and they figure that since we've been riding stuff since we was little guys, that all the lead we tasted as kids has to be the source of these strange behavior.

all seriousness I signed a petition a few weeks back about this as I am shopping for a CRF50 or TTR50 for my boys this summer. I told my youngest (3 1/2) if he quit crapping and pissing in his pants I'd buy him a dirt bike.... The little guy took me serious and reminds everytime he uses the potty. I was going to do it over Christmas but figured I'd wait to spring. So it looks like I start looking for a some used bikes and pray to god I don't need major parts anytime soon before they get their heads out of their stupid asses.

Ha, I bet the Govt. would freak out seeing your dad do body work with lead.:laugh:

Good luck finding a bike. All you need to find is a dealer that doesn't give a crap what the govt. thinks. Should be plenty in the bike industry. An extra hundred dollars or so tip wouldn't hurt either.

Ha, I bet the Govt. would freak out seeing your dad do body work with lead.:laugh:

Good luck finding a bike. All you need to find is a dealer that doesn't give a crap what the govt. thinks. Should be plenty in the bike industry. An extra hundred dollars or so tip wouldn't hurt either.

LOLOL, Yeah my old man should be the "poster child" of the no lead push. I suppose I should contact the guy that we did all the tin work for on that chopper and tell him not to let his kids ride it. Because it is full of lead:laugh:

Caution: This bike contains lead, user beware may cause harmfull affects especially(hopefully) if you are a member of the gov't.

bike020.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

The ban doesn't affect any REAL bikes or quads like those made by Honda, Yamaha, etc...just the cheap Red Chinese junk that has taken over Pep Boys. I have to order brake rotors for my F-350 and wait a week for them, but I can take home my choice of the worst that Communist engineering has to offer that day. :bang: Everyone is bellyaching about ordering parts-do you honestly think that the fly-by-night factory that built the rattletrap piece of garbage your kid is riding will actually be in business a year or two down the road when the thing inevitably takes a dump? They'll either have shut down because of their former workers are dead or too maimed to work because the complete lack of any safety regulations whatsoever, or will have shifted production to something completely different that has a higher profit margin. Buy your kid a quality ORV from an established company or build them a go-kart yourself.
WRONG!!!!
It affects ALL maunfactures, including Cobra and Polaris, both are American made models and I own both for my kids. Polaris told the dealers to stop all youth quads and parts sales. Its because of led contents in the parts, not just plastic but even the frame metals and everything else on the bikes.

As far as the cheap Chinese stuff goes, none of it was ever sold as "youth" bikes. They call everything "pit" bikes.

Most affected companys:
Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Polina USA, Cobra, KTM, Polaris.

Least affected companys:
China, since they don't sell "youth" bikes and parts.

Last edited:
But like they said at my brothers shop, they will refuse to sell anything to a kid under twelve, no matter how much money he has.:laugh:
Heres some shots of my kids chewing on their lead filled kid bikes.
#1 son, unchallenged
DSC01268.jpg

#3 son, yes, he rides it without chewing on it
HPIM0165.jpg

#2 son, passing on the right
DSC01250.jpg

nephew finishing up
DSC01143.jpg

But like they said at my brothers shop, they will refuse to sell anything to a kid under twelve, no matter how much money he has.:laugh:
Heres some shots of my kids chewing on their lead filled kid bikes.
#1 son, unchallenged
DSC01268.jpg

#3 son, yes, he rides it without chewing on it
HPIM0165.jpg

#2 son, passing on the right
DSC01250.jpg

nephew finishing up
DSC01143.jpg

I think it's cool that you spend hard earned dough on your kids to have nice bikes, and take them to races. Right on.

If you feed your kids and don't do meth around them, they should be fine as far as chewing on stuff that "burns my mouth Daddy!"

I miss racing, good times and great friends. A couple shots from my younger days:

Out front and leading
attachment.php

Off to a good start
attachment.php

I think it's cool that you spend hard earned dough on your kids to have nice bikes, and take them to races. Right on.

If you feed your kids and don't do meth around them, they should be fine as far as chewing on stuff that "burns my mouth Daddy!"

RIGHT!!! If you want to ban all sales of something to kids under twelve that is bad for them,,,,, THEN BAN ALL METH SALES TO KIDS UNDER TWELVE.
I feel much safer when my kids are doing crazy dangerous things on a lead filled bike, rather than doing crazy dangerous things with a glass ##### full of meth.

If it wasn't for the dirt bikes, my kids wouldn't even keep their grades up, threaten to lose the bike mid race season and they all of a sudden become honer students.:clap:

Romeo, Are those bikes Cobra's. They make them right across the border from me in Michigan. In Hillsdale where my sister lives. I was surprised on how well those quads are built and run but they are $$$$. I'm wanting to get at least one of my boys into racing, the one isn't as interested in that stuff yet.

RIGHT!!! If you want to ban all sales of something to kids under twelve that is bad for them,,,,, THEN BAN ALL METH SALES TO KIDS UNDER TWELVE.
I feel much safer when my kids are doing crazy dangerous things on a lead filled bike, rather than doing crazy dangerous things with a glass ##### full of meth.

If it wasn't for the dirt bikes, my kids wouldn't even keep their grades up, threaten to lose the bike mid race season and they all of a sudden become honer students.:clap:

:agree2: Not much time for drugs or much other trouble when all they want to do is ride!

:agree2: Not much time for drugs or much other trouble when all they want to do is ride!

Exactely, give them stuff to do that is productive and fun to them. You have more leverage with a kid that has something to lose rather than one that does not.

Romeo, Are those bikes Cobra's. They make them right across the border from me in Michigan. In Hillsdale where my sister lives. I was surprised on how well those quads are built and run but they are $$$$. I'm wanting to get at least one of my boys into racing, the one isn't as interested in that stuff yet.
The first pic (Ricky) is a cobra king. That little bike is a fireball for a 50cc and I never had anything that cool when I was 9. My middle son (Gavin) is racing a yamaha PW50, he is waiting for next year to inherit the cobra when Ricky moves to a 65.

Damn man are you cool with a kid that age on the public roads?

Just doesn't seem right.

Staged photo?

LOL, I just parked it there to drop the gate on the trailer and load it up. He of course jumped right on it when I got off. The key was still in my hand.

None of my kids ride without full gear, EVER.

Last edited:
Back