All right pros, how would YOU handle this tree problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This just a brain tickler for the pro arborists and treefessionals on here.
Stopped by a friends house today and was standing in the yard, talking. I looked at this redbud they have a wonder why I didn't remember their other maple tree hugging it so close. (I had previously noticed the redbud being crowded by this huge maple.) Then I realized there was a HUGE fallen branch in the redbud, almost as big as this whole redbud that is at least 20 feet high. So the outer branches of the limb are resting in the redbud from about 6 feet off the ground to a few feet below the top. And all the way from one side to another. The butt end of the branch is still stuck up in the maple about 40 feet off the ground but the branch it is sitting against is less than 1/2 the diameter. The butt isn't laying across a branch, it is laying parallel. There is a tiny, compared to the broken branch, limb kinda holding it but I really don't see how the butt hasn't come loose unless the weight is mostly on that redbud. I should be able to bend or break anything holding it in the air and that makes me think most of the weight is on that redbud. I know pictures are worth a thousand words but I didn't have my camera with me. Sorry! I like to think about things like this and how I would deal with it. But make no mistake this is a job for a pro with lots of equipment but how would the pros go about doing it safely? I thought and thought about it. This just seems like such a dangerous situation that I don't see a very good way to go about it short of a crane. How the heck do you deal with something so mobile and dangerous as a branch resting between two trees?

I have a number of 150+ ft tall DF around my own house.
I often have 4" dia or so branches hung up in the lower branches. Once or twice 8" dia cottonwood limbs father out in the yard.
Mostly I let them be, we just make sure no one is outside under any when there are windstorms.

In a few cases, the branches are too hazardous looking, so I shoot a weighted arrow over the branch with a monofilament fishing line attached. Use the fishing line to (and successively larger cords as needed) to pull a correctly sized rope (as large as 5/8" wire rope) over the branch, tie a slipknot or hook on a shackle, pull tight, attach to backhoe, and pull the branch down.

This branch looks to be 10 or so inches at least in diameter.
Course it is 40 ish feet in the air making hard to tell. I looked at it for a lomg time and I just don't see any way to cut on it where it is without extreme danger. It will have to be moved from a distance.

If the butt is still attached to the large tree, would climb and secure it with a rope and friction device. Cut the bottom in small pieces, relieving the pressure until the branch is hanging only by the rope. then cut the butt and lower slowly, taking off chunks at a time if necessary.

Climb the tree, tie a rope to the butt of the branch. Install a pulley in the tree and run the rope through the pulley to the ground, where I have installed a port-a-wrap friction device. Then using pole saw, climbing and limb walking or whatever else is required, dismantle the branch until it is free and can be lowered to the ground. We don't have a GRCS (Good Rigging Control System).

Of course, this assumes you can climb the maple safely.

This will take a climber with skill and training, neither of which I have. Definitely need a pro climber for this one.
I do appreciate the input, though.

The only way I could see this being done DIY is by the rope around the butt and pull it down with something. But they don't have any heavy equipment so they are going to hire their usual "tree service". Hope they guy knows what he is doing.

don't have any heavy equipment

hmm.. good excuse for a tool purchase? For $200, one can buy a 10,000# winch at HF, if the HO has something to anchor it to (large tree).

as a branch resting between two trees?

easy,,, years ago i had much the same,,, so i just climbed up stepped out and jumped up and down on limb till,,,,,it broke i fell about 10 foot before my loose rope got me and i swung 20 foot back to trunk,, it all crashed down nil harm and i only had to change my jocks,,,,, and i was working in a center for hearing impaired they did not hear me scream or swear #$@#^&

easy,,, years ago i had much the same,,, so i just climbed up stepped out and jumped up and down on limb till,,,,,it broke i fell about 10 foot before my loose rope got me and i swung 20 foot back to trunk,, it all crashed down nil harm and i only had to change my jocks,,,,, and i was working in a center for hearing impaired they did not hear me scream or swear #$@#^&

I want a video of that!!! :clap::rock:

Had a monsoon come through this afternoon. It took out two trees in my neighborhood. One very giant leaner and a smaller lodgepoleish tree. But that branch is still up there. Homeowers are still waiting for a call back from the tree service. I will admit to playing with the idea of doing it myself but I don't feel like getting killed trying to prove that I can do it.

Near zero risk if you pull it down with a rope - just be sure to pull from the side and not from directly underneath :dizzy:

What is wrong with underneath?! :dizzy:

Seriously, I would still have to get the rope over the butt end of the branch. Nobody I know has a bow or cross bow. It would be a thing of trial and error with a weighted rope.

True. I might look at it in depth, with the HO permission, on my next day off. But that is over a week away... I could get so much more done if I didn't have to work. Sigh.

I am a really cautious person by nature. I like to take my sweet time on a project. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Latest posts

Back