All u Loggers Post your Pics here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of my new skidder. Good thing I put two new tires on the rear the other week or we wouldn't be logging right now as much rain as we've had :Eye:

Oops, forgot the pic...... Hey John, my saw is bigger than yours!LOL :Monkey:

Nice pic Ryan , looks like a decent skidder with new diggers :) chains dont look too old either , always a good thing . Well IM back to work running a 2003 548GIII grapple skidder and cutting oversize stems for a very good company .. I'll try and snap some pics next week at work

hey yall, first post here, i always wondered if there was a logging forum on the internet. looks like i found a new place to goof off! maybe when i get my scanner hooked up i can post some real pictures.

Rob, my new 540 has a recon motor and tranny and the winch has been gone through as well. All it really needs is a good pressure washing which is on the calander.

i think that skidder is real nice !!
here in Sweden they seems very rare, i have only seen one used in an add !!

Plz more pictures of it in work !!!

/ Kristoffer

Whew, I'm tired we (I have a three man crew, me and two others; I cut all the timber although the skidder driver is capalbe of cutting and has cut) logged 5 tandum loads of logs today from the mountian side/top. I'm ready to cut a some what flat tract for a while now (thats realitvly flat as I am in the mountains, this tract has been rough as a cob, no good way to work it!). :dizzy:

how many feet a day you averaging?

Id so love to get back into this but where i am at ive got retirement and good benefits. Don't work nearly as hard here, sit in the cab all day. :)

sure made a hell of alot more $ cuttin timber

Excuse my ignorance but don't you guys use mechanized harvesters in the states ?? They are used here in the uk for all but the smallest jobs but from you guys posts it sounds like you cut it all by hand ??

Buzzlightyear said:
Excuse my ignorance but don't you guys use mechanized harvesters in the states ?? They are used here in the uk for all but the smallest jobs but from you guys posts it sounds like you cut it all by hand ??

In central/western Pennsylvania it's mostly 2 man crews. One man felling and the other on the skidder. Sometimes a third guy is used on the landing. I worked by myself cutting and skidding but the jobs were rarely over 100,000 board ft.

Mike

Buzzlightyear said:

Some do, but they are constantly chasing big jobs far and wide to make payments on a million dollars worth of equipment.

Some do, but they are constantly chasing big jobs far and wide to make payments on a million dollars worth of equipment.
I dont pretend to know what its like in Mass, but here in Upper Michigan harvestors and mechanization are king. All pulp logging is done with mechanized equipment and alot of the saw log cutting as well. The only time logs are harvested by saw is when steep ground, oversize wood, or high value/low production cuts(IE high grading some veneer) are involved. Some small time land clearing crews will still use saws and some part timers, but thats about it.
FWIW A ten cord load of hardwood pulp is selling for just over $1000 delivered. The same load two years ago cost around $400. It seems the price has been driven up by a shortage of log trucks as many went down to Florida last year and now Texas, Louisianna to clean up storm damage.

Ben in this area (NE) you will find the ground much steeper than in MI and WI. That is reason so many in this area still cut by hand and using skidders.

Latest posts

Back