Alternate methods of winterizing the OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just because theyre designed to run 24/7 doesnt mean they dont die... or he could lose power.
i know if i had a system like that with no antifreeze i wouldnt be relying on the pump to keep the system from freezing...
With a lot of those Taco and Grundfos pumps if you get through the first year then they will run and run and run for years.

just because theyre designed to run 24/7 doesnt mean they dont die... or he could lose power.
i know if i had a system like that with no antifreeze i wouldnt be relying on the pump to keep the system from freezing...
I wouldn't depend on the pump alone to keep things from freezing either. However my dealer told me to never change the water. Fill it and keep the additive in there to prevent rust and corrosion. I know a week wouldnt cause much rust but it also has to do with water chemistry. I can't believe $2000 for antifreeze is right...that seems ridiculous but my additive is $125 gallon.(sigh)

I wouldn't depend on the pump alone to keep things from freezing either. However my dealer told me to never change the water. Fill it and keep the additive in there to prevent rust and corrosion. I know a week wouldnt cause much rust but it also has to do with water chemistry. I can't believe $2000 for antifreeze is right...that seems ridiculous but my additive is $125 gallon.(sigh)
Propylene glycol is an anti freeze and rust inhibitor. I can buy glycol for $15 a gallon.

Used automotive anti-freeze is toxic waste, so if nobody will buy it and the owner can't get away with just dumping it on the ground, it's expensive to get rid of. I looked at a tractor for sale at an auto repair shop a few years ago, and the owner was getting rid of his used anti-freeze by filling tractor tires with it. It's denser than water and won't corrode the rims like the usual brine. There should be someone near you who has to get rid of anti-freeze and doesn't have tires to put it in.

Plumbing anti-freeze is cheaper than automotive and non-toxic (ie less toxic). It's sold as rv antifreeze, but it's also used in seasonal homes and other buildings that are left vacant in the winter.

i havent tried this but when i need to i am going to get a 110 volt water tank heater used in the livestock industry and plug it in and throw it down in the water jacket. i have a hardy so my opening on my water jacket is like 4". anybody tried it?????

i havent tried this but when i need to i am going to get a 110 volt water tank heater used in the livestock industry and plug it in and throw it down in the water jacket. i have a hardy so my opening on my water jacket is like 4". anybody tried it?????
WOW kinda defeats the purpose don't ya think. The pump running will keep it from freezing up, and what good will the heater do for your lines.

Used automotive anti-freeze is toxic waste, so if nobody will buy it and the owner can't get away with just dumping it on the ground, it's expensive to get rid of. I looked at a tractor for sale at an auto repair shop a few years ago, and the owner was getting rid of his used anti-freeze by filling tractor tires with it. It's denser than water and won't corrode the rims like the usual brine. There should be someone near you who has to get rid of anti-freeze and doesn't have tires to put it in.

Plumbing anti-freeze is cheaper than automotive and non-toxic (ie less toxic). It's sold as rv antifreeze, but it's also used in seasonal homes and other buildings that are left vacant in the winter.
AKA propylene glycol. Not toxic at all.

Latest posts

Back