Am I nutz?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mike Maas paints the use of a Bigshot as harder than it is, but then again, some things are only as hard as you make them.

I often use the 'braking' of the line as mentioned by Out On a Limb. I fire off a reel set at my feet. To brake the line I simply touch the reel with my left foot (I don't know why my left foot..... mebbe cuz I fire with my right hand). Since you know the reel is a half step in front of you, your eyes can stay fixed on the shotbag, and braking the line gets done without looking down.

Maas reloads the cube if there's a miss. I make sure there's no twigs on the ground, and flake it there in front of me toes. Make sure you're not stepping on it, fire again.

This is an example of just how big an inovation the BS really is. I think most BS users wouldn't think of climbing a tree to set a line, that just isn't how you set a line with a BS in the tool box, you shoot the line. Go back 5-7 years, and you wouldn't consider anything but climbing to set the line. I'm also with the high tie in crude. These days I "typically" don't climb a pine without first setting a top rope. The high tie in allows me to spike up the tree much faster and without a lanyard in many cases (yes a removal). I feel much more at home with a rope overhead.
Greg

Haha. The BS can be a PITA, but it can also be a lifesaver. Kinda like a razor sharp axe or a hair trigger pistol. You just gotta know when to whup it out, and how to handle it.

big_bat.gif

Why anyone would climb a tree for the sole purpose of setting a line is beyond me. BS is Great!!! Even though I dont own one. I can set a line by hand faster than it would take to put on my saddle and gaffs.

Kenn

OutOnaLimb said:
I can set a line by hand faster than it would take to put on my saddle and gaffs.

Kenn

MB Wears His 24/7 Just in case! :)

In case you were still wundering your still Nutz. :blob5:

Thats kinda gotta get in the way of of certian things dont ya think? I mean like takin a shower and evacuating ones bowels. Now thats really nutz!!!

Kenn

OutOnaLimb said:
Thats kinda gotta get in the way of of certian things dont ya think? I mean like takin a shower and evacuating ones bowels. Now thats really nutz!!!

Kenn

Hmmmmm With hooks on you wouldnt have to worry about slipping in the shower
and You could really dig into the floor after a mexican meal... :)

OutOnaLimb said:
Why anyone would climb a tree for the sole purpose of setting a line is beyond me. BS is Great!!! Even though I dont own one. I can set a line by hand faster than it would take to put on my saddle and gaffs.

Kenn

Do ya think so? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. I set lines in six pines yesterday sans BS. It was easier that way. :Eye:

Latest posts

Back