America's Toughest Jobs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's toughest job was swarping out Bubba 1 and getting Bubba 2 ready to roll next week. Amongst a 3 year accumulation for me, and 2 years prior with somebody else, I found 2 arrow shafts, many metal thingies, the missing bungee cords, the missing water bottle that doesn't leak, a whole bunch of left hand gloves, but not the right hand ones, and many many aluminum cans.
I'll have to shovel all the fir needles out next week. They make a good duff layer under the box, next to the cab and little trees, grass, etc. sprouts there.
There's also a layer of moss to deal with. I'll miss Bubba 1.

A soldier is prolly the toughest in war time it would be hard to squeeze
the trigger on another man. There are lots of tough jobs imo some tough
for different reasons Bull rider tough because it's hard on the body but
my sis is a youth counselor substance abuse and development problems.
I would rather pull my teeth with a fork:laugh:

yeah it was the same old stuff they show

i coulda spent another hour and a half cuttin' firewood

A soldier is prolly the toughest in war time it would be hard to squeeze
the trigger on another man. There are lots of tough jobs imo some tough
for different reasons Bull rider tough because it's hard on the body but
my sis is a youth counselor substance abuse and development problems.
I would rather pull my teeth with a fork:laugh:

Jeeeeeeze....now there's a phrase that brings rich mental imagry..."pull my teeth with a fork". Man, that made my teeth hurt.

Hats off to your sis, too. She has a tough job and people that do that kind of work must really be dedicated. I couldn't do it.

go watch that video and notice that they are falling a doug fir. then when he starts pounding the wedge in you will notice that it's a cedar tree.

it's in the first couple of minutes

great editing job!

Last edited:
go watch that video and notice that they are falling a doug fir. then when he starts pounding the wedge in you will notice that it's a cedar tree.

it's in the first couple of minutes

great editing job!

good to know i ain't crazy for seeing the bark change

I dont understand why they give the biggest saws on site to the people with the least experience with them when a saw half the size would be more than enough for the tree they're dropping:dizzy:

you won't find anything smaller than 70cc in the logging world... it just don't cut it

Not having television in my home, the video on that website is my introduction to that series. Wow, what a ridiculous premise!

never heard of the show until this morning. not what i expected. would not do business with again.

negative feedback ;)

.aspx said:
negative feedback

Totally agreed. You can't take people off the street who've never worked in the woods and expect anything. Shows like this only to serve to further the ignorance of the masses to dangerous work like this, and it makes loggers look like prima-donna meatheads.

OT side note re: Rygaard Logging. I was on my way to Whidbey Island one day for work and it was pissing rain. I'm heading uphill and I see a logging truck behind me. I'm in the fast lane going 60mph in a 50mph speed zone.

The logging truck honks and then passes me on the right. I notice on the door it says "Rygaard Logging". The a's were coniferous trees just as the guys in that show had on their vests.

I remember thinking to myself, "the nerve of this m :censored: er"

He was probably doing at least 70mph in a torrential rain, uphill, in a 50mph speed zone.

100% true story

I have no idea why he was on this side of the ferry.

turns out this rygaard logging is hiring... so i called
and the lady who answered said ax men is doing the hiring...?

what does that mean? i get a job setting chokers just for the show
and when filming is done in december i don't have a job? :dizzy:

i could care less about being on tv

i want steady employment

Axmen wanted to put a different guy on the crew here. That's why you won't be seeing them on the show. My world is turned asunder. Reality tv is not real. What is the world coming to! :jawdrop: Finding a logging job here is not too realistic right now. The mills are now cutting off most log deliveries. The mills here are full up with logs from last winter's blowdown.

Finding a logging job here is not too realistic right now. The mills are now cutting off most log deliveries. The mills here are full up with logs from last winter's blowdown.

Same thing here. Two of our mills are on 2 week shutdown and it may last longer. Lumber isn't moving out of the mills and the log decks are almost full. When we finish the burn salvage from this year we're done logging. Start-up next spring is looking iffy, too.

I think I'll go out and talk to my calves..."Grow you little SOBs, grow!" :)

thats absolutely ridiculous, they turn people loose with little or no safety training and tell them to cut down trees. its a wonder that soo many people get killed now adays, they see it on tv so it must be easy. its also ridiculous to make people hurry through tasks to earn more money, another easy way to get hurt, people dont pay attention for a moment and its over.

Same thing here. Two of our mills are on 2 week shutdown and it may last longer. Lumber isn't moving out of the mills and the log decks are almost full. When we finish the burn salvage from this year we're done logging. Start-up next spring is looking iffy, too.

I think I'll go out and talk to my calves..."Grow you little SOBs, grow!" :)

Maybe I should have a Yukon. I thought you were talking to your legs!
The helicopter guys are out of here at the end of the month. The other guy is on standby, and the third is losing mills to deliver to. I spent a couple hours knocking down little alders, cuz I thought maybe I better start getting ready to run Twinkle again. Then went up and stumbled through the jack strawed helicopter felling. Yup, they did put a few across the old road like the guy told me. So many that I detoured down through the jungle to get back easier. The new truck was declared the "Ugliest :censored: pickup I ever saw." by one of the operators. He also pointed out that I better get a good shovel cuz I was sure gonna get stuck in the snow a lot this winter with that "Box." Came in and cut short a phone call with somebody looking for something to do so they thought they'd call and cause more work for me. Yup, a good day overall! I think I will open a little yukon.:chainsaw: Maybe the world's most aggravating job today.

Latest posts

Back