Ams-Oil 100:1 ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a big difference between 32:1 and 40:1. All the high end oils will lubricate fine, the only real thing will be cleanliness, smoke, smell, price and so on. Amsoil makes great oils, but some of their claims are far fetched, especially with today's pump fuel.

I know a guy who has used saber for the past year in his 260 Stihl at 100:1 with no problems.
That said,I believe it may be sufficient for the piston but any 2t is supposed to have a puddle of oil left in the base and 100:1 won't give you the proper volume for crank lubrication imo.I use Amsoil interceptor and Motul 800 in everything at 40:1.My 17 yr old lawn boy is on it's second spark plug and original everything else and my pos poulan weedwacker is 8 yrs old and hasn't gotten anything yet.I keep expecting it to crap out every mowing season but it's still going strong.

Buncha rich guys...just spend dat money

"two stroke" oil like their saws can count! Man, all ya got to do is hork your cuzzins lawnmower gas can when he's drunk and ain't lookin', add one beer can full of farm diesel, shake 'er up, good to go.

Then you sneak what is leftover in the can back to your cuzzins garage. When he sobers up and gets to mowing, after his old lady rags on him for a week, it'll smoke like da dikkenz, then you say "dang vern, your rings are shot, valves too, tell ya whut, give ya five bucks for it, need the parts"

32:1 does not cause excessive smoke. Why cheap out and risk expensive equipment trying to save a couple bucks per year?

+1 blsnelling, when tuned right verylittle smoke, and no damage or fouled plugs ,why run 100:1 in a 16:1 saw? and I would NEVER tell anyone to run a mix ratio in their saw other then what the maker has stated for the fuel mix, use the best oil and gas , mix it exactly .

The piston in my last post came out of a saw that was still running fine, but as you can see the piston was getting too hot and lacked proper lubrication, everything was dry. Amsoil uses a lot of anti seize polymers in Saber, this keeps things moving, but not necessarily properly lubricated at 100:1. If I were going to run Amsoi 2 cycle oil it would be Dominator @ 32:1 or 40:1 or Saber @ 50:1 Interceptor was designed for engines with power valves, so it has a high solvent/dispersant content and very low burn point to keep the valves clean. I would not personally run Interceptor in OPE.http://www.amsoil.com/images/2cycle_chart.gif

I'm not going to try it! Maybe 'Mikey' will try it?! :jester:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vYEXzx-TINc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some folks come on these oil threads and complain. If it was so painful to keep rehashing this stuff, why not just ignore them?

My opinion on Amsoil @ 100:1 (or opti II, et al): Ok in cheap dept store string trimmers and saws, marginal in dept store blowers, and not for me in quality equipment , especially when used hard. Here's why I believe this:

As engine speeds and air movement through the engine increases, less and less oil will stay puddled up in the crankcase. That green weedeater with ports the size of a pencil just cant possibly move enough air through to keep all of the oil in motion, while your average 50cc saw running at 13,000 rpm, Wide open throttle, is not only whipping up all the oil laying in the crankcase, but is making 2 or 3 times as much heat.

Amzoil amd the rest are banking on the fact that only a few saws and only a few users will use their stuff that hard, and even so, their equipment will hang together (but not thrive) long enough that they can usually deny culpability when the tools meet early failure. As, for example, Andy's Stihl photo.

For the record, I think Amzoil is a great product, but it isn't magic. Works spectacularly at 50:1 in chain saws. But so do a lot of others. Most of Amzoil's business model is servicing fleet users, farms, factories, etc., with a smaller slice servicing the rest of us. If you know someone that has an Amzoil account, Amzoil is a great deal, but for the rest of us, its a little like Rainbow or Kirby vacuum cleaners: tons of hype and markup.

an amsoil dealer told me their oil was tested up to 300:1 and it still held its own. IM NOT RUNNING FRICKIN 100:1 LET ALONE 300:1
talk about burning a couple grand just for a way to save a few bucks. Id rather spend the extra money and run it at 50:1 instead of regreting it. IMHO

I had an amsoil broker come up to me at a home show yesterday and ask me if I wanted to save $. And then he went into this big speel about how I should use amsoil and mix it at 100:1 for all my saws and 2 stroke equipment ??¿?? Any good or bad stories on this?

Check my sig.

I run 43:1... give or take (3oz dixie cup per gallon) Simple.

I do have a friend that ran Amsoil at 100:1 for years. He has a friend that ran 100:1 Amsoil for over 20 years.

I don't know what to say except... I ain't running 100:1. I like my Stihl oil at 40:1 ish.

I run 43:1... give or take (3oz dixie cup per gallon) Simple.

I do have a friend that ran Amsoil at 100:1 for years. He has a friend that ran 100:1 Amsoil for over 20 years.

I don't know what to say except... I ain't running 100:1. I like my Stihl oil at 40:1 ish.

I'd sure like to get a look inside those engines!

Mike

Johnson made a Outboard that called for 100:1 I heard They had nothing but problems mixing 50:1 fix the problem, No way I not not mixing 100:1 in my saws.

Johnson made a Outboard that called for 100:1 I heard They had nothing but problems mixing 50:1 fix the problem, No way I not not mixing 100:1 in my saws.

I have one, Johnson 15HP short shaft. Label on the motor says 100:1! I run it at 50:1 with no problems. I was told there's not many of them around any more! Go figure...

100:1

I'll admit when I started using amsoil saber at 100:1 I was really nervous about it. After 2 years of running 100:1 I am happy to report absolutely no problems. I run it in stihl, redmax, and dolmar saws from 32cc up to 79cc. I have torn apart both my ms200 and a dolmar 420 and the piston and cylinder showed no scoring. I run my saws hard as a carver,full throttle buried in the wood and lots of high rpm with very little load like when doing fur, or doing detail likes eyes. As far as abusing a saw I think carvers do it best. I use a redmax 5000, and a dolmar 5105 both with a 16" quarter tip bar and quarter pitch chain its not like I'm using slow saws either.

Latest posts

Back