Amsoil Saber Expiration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've still got about a gallon of Mobil1 Racing 2T synthetic that's 15 years old, still works fine (and smells great!) :chainsaw: YMMV

By the time I get to the gallon of Motul 800 that I mistakenly bought about 5 years ago, that'll probably be 15 years old.
Been running Motul 800 for over a decade, never any issues, burns clean and smells even better,

I had a customer give me a pile of vintage oil, all unopened. 25-35 year old. Ran it in all my 4-stroke equipment without issue.

I'm running the last of 4 gallons of Dominator in my '74 RD350 (that has at least 60 HP) that I bought when I finished the bike in '11. Some of the Saber I run in my paramotor is at least 5 years old. I'm all about stockpiling stuff, so most of what I run is old. To each his own, but I wouldn't put to much thought into a 5 year old 2-stroke oil.

IMG_0646.jpeg

You would think the maker would color the 2 stroke oil, wouldn't you?
It's sold for sleds and boats with oil injection, it doesnt need to be colored for that use.
Amsoil interceptor has been used in a lot of dirt bikes without issue other than the color.
If you ask amsoil about it, they'll tell you to use dominator or saber if you're mixing it even tho the interceptor works fine.

It's sold for sleds and boats with oil injection, it doesnt need to be colored for that use.
Amsoil interceptor has been used in a lot of dirt bikes without issue other than the color.
If you ask amsoil about it, they'll tell you to use dominator or saber if you're mixing it even tho the interceptor works fine.
Ah that makes sense…

I had a customer give me a pile of vintage oil, all unopened. 25-35 year old. Ran it in all my 4-stroke equipment without issue.

I'm running the last of 4 gallons of Dominator in my '74 RD350 (that has at least 60 HP) that I bought when I finished the bike in '11. Some of the Saber I run in my paramotor is at least 5 years old. I'm all about stockpiling stuff, so most of what I run is old. To each his own, but I wouldn't put to much thought into a 5 year old 2-stroke oil.

View attachment 1075165
The old can oil was worth some coin . Guys with old cars and trucks like to display it in the trunk or bed. I have several cans

I have been using AmsOil since 1980, and find the idea of a use by date to be a joke. Because Sabre Two Cycle is so thick, I always thoroughly shake the container, and have been mixing it 100:1 for the last 43 years without any issues (even when I was using my saws on my Alaska Mill).
Your mileage may vary, but my experience is, that the expiry date means squat.

So is it an oil for water-cooled engines, like TCW-3 ... or is it for air-cooled engines? (Or I guess it's supposedly OK for both?)

I always heard that you shouldn't use TCW-3 in air-cooled 2T motors because they run a lot hotter than water-cooled engines, and the oil can carbon up rings, cause scuffing, etc...

I never paid much attention to due dates. Drank old milk brunt old gas. Old oil should not be a problem. No one knows how old oil is to start with. Could be like fine wine or a selling point.
Best before with foods does not mean kill you immediately post this date. :lol:
People get hung up on labelling sometimes.

gh
So is it an oil for water-cooled engines, like TCW-3 ... or is it for air-cooled engines? (Or I guess it's supposedly OK for both?)

I always heard that you shouldn't use TCW-3 in air-cooled 2T motors because they run a lot hotter than water-cooled engines, and the oil can carbon up rings, cause scuffing, etc...
https://www.amsoil.com/p/interceptor-synthetic-2-stroke-oil-ait/Protects advanced two-stroke technology. Use in all two-stroke snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, PWCs and where API TC or JASO FD oils are specified, including Polaris;* BRP/Ski-Doo* (Rotax* E-TEC* engines); Arctic Cat* (C-TEC2* engines); Honda;* Yamaha;* Kawasaki;* Suzuki;* direct-fuel-injected (DFI), electronic-fuel-injected (EFI) & carbureted engines. Use as injection oil or 50:1 premix (2.6 oz. per U.S. gallon of gas).

View attachment 1075165
I would use it too. You should ask all of these clowns that are worried about an oil with a expired shelf life to just ship all of it to you.

I have actually bought some of this off of Amazon, and use it to add some extra color to some of my mix, so I can see it through the plastic gas container. I also bought some pipettes to use to add it in there by the drop. It's super concentrated and only takes one to three drops per container, depending on your desired color.

In my opinion, well worth the price.

It's a low ash oil, not a TCW3 oil.

I love oil treads, everyone has a different opinion and no one ever has oil related issues lol.
Saws are very forgiving when it comes to premix oils. Just about any premix oil or straight wt 30 oil works fine as long as you're not running the saw lean and working it hard.

My saws get left over dirt bike premix oil without a second thought or issue. I'd never run husky or stihl chainsaw premix in a dirt bike tho, those oils are not good enough for bikes, they're designed not smoke or stink not to protect the motor.

We are all dragged into a throw away world that makes us believe we need new all the time. How much food is wasted these days! Our grand parents never wasted food, young families these days are trapped and want the "best" they just dont realise how wasteful and unnecessary it is. If food goes off you can tell and dont need a date stamped on it just use common sense. I have oil 20+ years old and as good as the day it was made, I'm not falling for it I'm too old. Dont fall for marketing cr##

Back