Anchor height for SRT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a general recommendation on the height your (canopy) anchor should be for SRT? What I mean is, does having it positioned X amount of feet above you, afford the arborist more freedom for limb walking?

Is there a general recommendation on the height your (canopy) anchor should be for SRT? What I mean is, does having it positioned X amount of feet above you, afford the arborist more freedom for limb walking?

Higher is always better, but I usually just used srt for canopy access and then transitioned over to Ddrt if I was doing much limb walking.

Your canopy anchor should be no less than a 45 degree angle from your limb walk. The more acute your angle the less stability you will have. the greater the height the better your stability will be. Just be aware of your tie in point.

Your canopy anchor should be no less than a 45 degree angle from your limb walk. The more acute your angle the less stability you will have. the greater the height the better your stability will be. Just be aware of your tie in point.

Actually the more obtuse your angle the less stable,

Acute or obtuse is a simple difference of perspective for the climber from their (TIP). Either example is fine with me. I was only trying to say that between 45° and 90° as an acute angle is good for limb walks and that smaller than 45° is less stable. The same example can be given for obtuse angles, 90° to 135°, as an desirable obtuse angle and you don't want to go greater than 135°. Some visual examples of angles for Saddle so they may reference.
1674993448217.png

Actually the more obtuse your angle the less stable,

If you don't explain what two legs of the climber triangle you are considering, every angle except perpendicular is both obtuse and acute at the same time.

Pretty much all angles of the rope to the tie-in will be acute, as viewed from the TIP to the tree below and the climbing line. It will be obtuse as viewed from the tree above the TIP and the descending climbing line.

Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back