And this, boys and girls, is why we should ALWAYS wear our PPE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workin'Rabbit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So this happened today because, well, I was stupid
7740dd4e632d4be7b50b227895ddab86.jpg
e30e553bb6dbaff74329e5c963924f47.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Oh it could have been MUCH worse. I got lucky and I know it! I was cleaning out a fence row of some small brush and what not, killed the saw to pull it free from a tangle but didn't let the chain completely stop before I pulled and the saw came free much easier than I expected.

Mine was only a double hit. Yours was 5 or 6. It happens so fast I have always wondered if the pants material repeatedly drags the bar back into the meat. Yes you were lucky. Looks like it will heal up fine. Now purchase some chaps and above all, wear them. LOL. They are hot and sometimes a bit bulky but....... Best wishes.

Just be careful and look closely for signs of infection! Signs would be beginning and progressing redding of the skin close to the stiches.

Glad they were able to get it all put back together. Doesnt look like any function was damaged.

This could have been avoided with a proper triple humped semi-chisel safety chain and a narrow tip bar.

That's why you use triple antibiotic and bandage it!
That is not the way to do it! Local anaesthesia and a thorough cleaning is far more important. Antibiotics only when really needed! Bacteria impregnated dirt will NEVER be clean even after tenfold antibiotic!

That is not the way to do it! Local anaesthesia and a thorough cleaning is far more important. Antibiotics only when really needed! Bacteria impregnated dirt will NEVER be clean even after tenfold antibiotic!

Its already been cleaned AND stitched. I'm fairly certain the medical staff did not sew him up without cleaning the wound first. Triple antibiotic is essentially neosporin and yes it is appropriate to use on that wound.

So you are recomending an antibiotic creme? What is that going to do besides making someone feel better?

Wound healing has already started after the cleaning and sewing. That means that thrombin has already activated fibrinogen so that fibrin essentially seals the surface against all other "attacks". So what is an ointment going to do? Further all well blood supplied tissue like skin has very little problem coping with minor bacterial, fungal other viral attacks, because every healthy human being has an intact immun system. This immunsystem traditionally takes easily care of any of these superficial infections, because they are going on every day, minute or second.
What would be more of a problem would be tissue that is not well blood supplied like fat, clearly presented in the picture above! In this region bacteria (aerob or anaerob), to a much lesser content fungal or viral infections can become a problem. If bacteria do gain some "ground" in the fat, the typical sign would be a local reaction in form of skin reding and pain. These are the signs to be aware of!
If it comes to such an infection, oral wide band antibiotics(like a penecillin) is usually totally sufficient. But only in such an indication permitted. No sense in giving antibiotics when the body can cope with the problem alone.

Latest posts

Back