Another 394 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now ive had a couple of days of work my mind is all cloudy.
I am wondering about cutting down the cylinder and messing up the port timing. I'm not sure if 20 thou will really do that much. But I'm not sure. But then it made me think what about cutting down the piston and that would counter the port timing and I could have tight squish, increased compression without messing up my port timing too much.
Not sure if I'm overthinking it.
I measured the exhaust port on the cylinder and measured the outlet port on the muffler and it is about 76% of the exhaust port size so I'm not gonna dual port it.

Well now ive had a couple of days of work my mind is all cloudy.
I am wondering about cutting down the cylinder and messing up the port timing. I'm not sure if 20 thou will really do that much. But I'm not sure. But then it made me think what about cutting down the piston and that would counter the port timing and I could have tight squish, increased compression without messing up my port timing too much.
Not sure if I'm overthinking it.
I measured the exhaust port on the cylinder and measured the outlet port on the muffler and it is about 76% of the exhaust port size so I'm not gonna dual port it.

Cutting the piston would restore the port timing and the large squish distance.

Dropping the cylinder lowers the exhaust and transfer timing duration and increases the intake. If I remember correctly about .010" of port height is 1 deg of duration.

I guess regardless of what gasket i use the .015 i cut off the bottom has to go. But is that going to affect my port timing enough where I should worry about it or just let it be?

Hmm. We'll see that sounds like a great idea. Once I get the saw running I'll see how she runs and maybe I'll send her out. Any good recommendations?

Ok. Got the cylinder on. Squish band set. I picked up a 36" bar cheap and can't figure out what kind if chain to run. Full comp, semi or full skip. Also it might be a silly question but what about semi chisel vs full chisel on a longer bar?
Gotta wait on one more part from bailey' sand she'll be alive. Just waiting on the HD filter elbow. Thought about running it with the old filter but I don't wanna just piss money away by being impatient.
Also my last post was not very clear, any recommendations on who to send it to for porting?

Back