Another Barber Chair question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a spin off from another recent thread.

Has anyone encountered a tree, stump or story of where a hollow tree barber chaired? I haven't.

My thought process is that if the hinge continuity is broken up, (a faller who I still think highly of taught me this), the tree is less likely to split and barber chair.

So if the hollow and the face connect, or a face center bore is utilized to accomplish a similar effect, barber chair avoidance is enhanced.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is that I've noticed a few posts here on arborsite where cutters have had chairs even with boring the back.

Thanks for any help or thoughts

smokechase II said:
This is a spin off from another recent thread.

Has anyone encountered a tree, stump or story of where a hollow tree barber chaired? I haven't.

My thought process is that if the hinge continuity is broken up, (a faller who I still think highly of taught me this), the tree is less likely to split and barber chair.

So if the hollow and the face connect, or a face center bore is utilized to accomplish a similar effect, barber chair avoidance is enhanced.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is that I've noticed a few posts here on arborsite where cutters have had chairs even with boring the back.

Thanks for any help or thoughts

there one guy i used to work with that he had 25 + yrs experience tree felling, i learned from him alot but i won't do it some thing he does myself. there thing i can tell you what i learned from him, when approched the tree where is leaned toward to and then decided where he wanted to face cut, his method is face undercut. secondly he would bore 3'' or 6 " (depend on size of the tree) in the wood to see sign of rotten or hollow below his back cut.regardless if rotten or hollow his back cut is even level with his face cut but he alway have 3 or 5 big wedges ready put one middle back and 2 on side and one wedges for tipping since he used for to see if it going forward or going backwards. one thing i hated the most that is popping sound and he work those wedges fast as he goes and cutting he keep going with cutting and by the time tree is falling he used his chain bar wipe off the wedges and full troddle power cutting until it hit to ground there no hinges left, he walk away from it. i have see his work been barber chair. if he drank too much whiskey nite before:dizzy:
Treeman67

I believe you are right Smokechase II, if the hinge isn't in one solid strip it seems much less likely to barberchair. Even if too much meat is left on each side for posts or hingewood, as long as the guts are cut out before releasing the tree, it should not b. chair. But, leaving too thick of posts will make an ugly stump:laugh:

Back