Another Chain Saw Recommendation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dropdown3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First and foremost, I've been lurking on this site for several weeks, several hours a night, reading and learning more than I ever thought I would know about chain saws. Great site with a knowledgeable and friendly community. Now that my knowledge has increased, I'm just as confused as ever.

Background: Homeowner needs a chainsaw for cleaning up fallen trees and occasionally help cut firewood for family members (about 2 cords/year). I also have a nice sized pine tree down in my backyard and will be cutting some hardwoods (oak, maple, and locust). I have an Echo dealer 20 miles from home, but a Stihl dealer in town who's helpful, knowledgeable, and trusted. Yes, I'm leaning towards Stihl.

I have a couple chain saws in mind, but would appreciate your unbiased, if possible, opinions for a decent saw around $400, no more than $430. That is my absolute cut-off.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Chuck

You can get a 290 or a 310 around here for that money..

I myself would look for a used pro saw like a 044 046. Even a 038 super or magnum used will be a lot cheaper then $400 .....

Use the rest of the cash for PPE like chaps and a helmet....

Good luck.....

:agree2: Sounds like this will be your first saw. Make sure it's not your last. Get the PPE as southbound suggests as your first priority and buy a second hand saw. See if you can find someone with experience to show you good safe technique. Saws are not toys, they're tools and probably the most dangerous ones you will ever use.

Be safe

I bought a MS290 as it was a mid-level homeowner saw that although heavy appeared to have a good size engine and a reputation of being fairly well built for longevity. There are 3 Stihl and 2 Husky/Echo dealers within a 20 minute drive of me (1 Dolmar too). I went with one of the Stihl dealers that one of my friends had used for service and past sales.

I have since been checking Craigslist now to see what comes up - I have seen some older & used saws that looked fairly well cared for (029's, Husky 440) for around $200. If you can be patient you might find a good deal in your area.

I might have considered a Cub Cadet badged Efco saw for $299 shipped on amazon.com if I did not already buy that Stihl saw.

Just my $0.02 as a fellow newbie. Welcome to the site and good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
I have spoken with the local dealer who recommended the MS 270 or MS 290. For what I use it for, I'm sure a 290 will suffice, however, I've always been a quality driven consumer and if this saw ever needs any work, I will be the one doing the work and the 290 is not friendly in this regard.

Here's my list of considerations, feel free to recommend any I've missed:

-Stihl MS 270 - $429 w/16" bar
-Echo CS-450 - $379
-Echo CS 530 - $469
-Husqvarna 346XP - $489
-Husqvarna 353G - $499

I know I said $430 max, but I can easily be swayed into a Husky 346 or 353 if the dealer would throw in a case for $500 out the door. Second, how easy are these saws to work on and if I remember correctly, Husky parts are a bit cheaper, correct?

I appreciate the responses as I know how a lot of the "regulars" are tired of seeing such threads. I value the feedback of enthusiasts in the industry more so than a local dealer with vested interests.

Chuck

I have spoken with the local dealer who recommended the MS 270 or MS 290. For what I use it for, I'm sure a 290 will suffice, however, I've always been a quality driven consumer and if this saw ever needs any work, I will be the one doing the work and the 290 is not friendly in this regard.

Here's my list of considerations, feel free to recommend any I've missed:

-Stihl MS 270 - $429 w/16" bar
-Echo CS-450 - $379
-Echo CS 530 - $469
-Husqvarna 346XP - $489
-Husqvarna 353G - $499

I know I said $430 max, but I can easily be swayed into a Husky 346 or 353 if the dealer would throw in a case for $500 out the door. Second, how easy are these saws to work on and if I remember correctly, Husky parts are a bit cheaper, correct?

I appreciate the responses as I know how a lot of the "regulars" are tired of seeing such threads. I value the feedback of enthusiasts in the industry more so than a local dealer with vested interests.

Chuck
I would take the 346 over any of the saws you have listed.

I don't think I saw the Husky 350 on your list but it is a great saw if you switch it over to a 3/8 pitch and run full skip round chisel chain

Pony up the extra dough and get the NE346xp, you'll be glad you did in the long run. It's a small powerhouse that'll be durable and do everything you want to do...Good luck and be safe!

I will agree with the little Husky as a choice. Along with that PPE, if you don't have much expirience, find someone to show you the basics, and I don't mean watchin' Youtube.

I have the 353, after running the 353 other brand name saws feel like a concret block with a bar and chain.

The 353 is the same saw saw case as the 346xp. The 346 has .5hp more:)

I would have bought the 346xp but they were sold out and they had the 353for $350. Woodsmans field days is a good place to buy a saw.

Jonsered 2153C

I just got back from a local dealer who sells Husqvarna and Jonsered. They were out of the 346 XP's and recommended the Jonsered 2153 which seems to be very similar, but a couple dollars cheaper. The dealer said Jonsered is made by Husqvarna and made it a point to show me the Husky stamped parts on the Jonsered saws.

I told him I was going to do some research and would be back in next week. Any thoughts on Jonsered's construction and longevity?

Chuck

First and foremost, I've been lurking on this site for several weeks, several hours a night, reading and learning more than I ever thought I would know about chain saws. Great site with a knowledgeable and friendly community. Now that my knowledge has increased, I'm just as confused as ever.

Background: Homeowner needs a chainsaw for cleaning up fallen trees and occasionally help cut firewood for family members (about 2 cords/year). I also have a nice sized pine tree down in my backyard and will be cutting some hardwoods (oak, maple, and locust). I have an Echo dealer 20 miles from home, but a Stihl dealer in town who's helpful, knowledgeable, and trusted. Yes, I'm leaning towards Stihl.

I have a couple chain saws in mind, but would appreciate your unbiased, if possible, opinions for a decent saw around $400, no more than $430. That is my absolute cut-off.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Chuck

Dolmar PS 510 $ 325

Great Saw for the Money

Welcome

:greenchainsaw:

At the last PNW GTG I ran Booker's 'Slinger ported 346, all I could think about was finding something big to fall with it. I thinking of having one built, just for fun.

346 XP NE (New Edition) New Owner

Thanks for all the helpful feedback to those who took the time to reply. It came down between the ergonomics of the Husky 346 XP NE and the Jonsered 2153C. I chose the Husky 346 w/ 18" bar:

DSCN1914.jpg

DSCN1920.jpg

This saw should serve me well for many years to come and I appreciate the facts and opinions contributed by the AS members.

Regards,

Chuck

Nice looking saw

Even if it isn't a stihl. Did you save any money for some PPE. My neighbor learned a lesson about chaps a couple of months back. Tiny nick - 12 stitches. He was lucky!

Latest posts

Back