Another ebayer soon to be snuffed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, but they aren't a dealer. They are a broker, and we all will se a bunch more of them in the next few months with the rise in business bankruptcies.

The business looks like a damage dealer, possibly selling off items from turned over UPS trucks and the like. I think he has a 390/170 package as well? Who knows, but he isn't calling himself a dealer.

Yeah, I saw this listing earlier today, along with his VERY nice knife sets. It will surely get noticed, you are right about that. I wonder though if Stihl and Husqvarna will be able to keep up with the brokers that are going to be filling up with these items. There are going to be quite a few bankruptcies this year, and that isn't me being Mr. Doomsday, it will however be survival of the fittest. His prices weren't that great anyway, especially if they are "fire-sale" items.

A stihl dealer (ace hardware) around me went out of business, but stihl bought all of the saws back. This ebay auction is a little fishy, but it is not my money. If someone wants to pay list for a 880 on ebay and lose his warranty, let them.:dizzy:

Well, with a 140 sales feedback rating, this one at least is more legit (as opposed to a zero feedback seller in Budapest). But at the prices listed, they are obviously targeting overseas markets, and not local (US) ones. Why buy on there for list, when I can buy here with no shipping and no sales tax, and have a valid warantee???

*shrug*

A broker here means that they have a product or products that they did not get from a distributor or factory. Generally that means they get them from a shipper as damaged or lost goods, or from a store that had a dealership that went under, or wanted to get rid of stock. In other words, I am a broker if I go buy a saw at a dealer and sell it to someone else, say overseas, or in some other location. I see a lot of saws listed on Ebay targeted to overseas markets, particularly the UK. In the UK they go for a lot more money, so even with high shipping costs, they are a deal for teh broker and the buyer.

Last edited:
The rep will take back unsold merchandise, and hold it until another dealer needs it. I'm not sure what they do if it is not current. I've noticed alot brokers on ebay selling brand new with hang tags still attached saws. I think it's dealers not too cleverly trying to get around selling not being able to sell on ebay. I wouldn't buy anything that they didn't take an actual picture of.

The rep will take back unsold merchandise, and hold it until another dealer needs it. I'm not sure what they do if it is not current. I've noticed alot brokers on ebay selling brand new with hang tags still attached saws. I think it's dealers not too cleverly trying to get around selling not being able to sell on ebay. I wouldn't buy anything that they didn't take an actual picture of.

That's nice of the reps and Stihl. Also quite smart. But when the product is not Stihl or the dealers anymore, then it gets sticky.

Let's say I am John Smith, professional timber faller, and tree service owner. I go out and buy my new fleet for the year to finish out my fical cycle for the end of 2007. I also have a storage unit that I keep all of my new equipment in while I await the need for its use. My business fails. The contents of my storage unit and all of its assets are sold at an auction. At that auction there is a broker ONLY buying brand new merchandise. He buys ONLY brand new Stihls. He resells them on Ebay as new, since they are new, and still in a box. Unfortunately it happens, but as was said earlier, they aren't usually aimed at people here in the US anyway.

So Windthrown... what is the story on your home country. You know, your profile.

My home country is here... I list that there to confuse would-be internet information harvestors and the like. I never put any valid information about yourself on a public site like this (otherwise you are begging to have your ID stolen and used).

Not unlike Wakonda (fictional town in Kesey's book), Umpqua Co. (actual county name here once, now defunct after a merger with another county) and Jefferson, a state that north CA and south OR counties tried to create before WWII. More or less location accurate, but useless for any information harvestors.

My home country is here... I list that there to confuse would-be internet information harvestors and the like. I never put any valid information about yourself on a public site like this (otherwise you are begging to have your ID stolen and used).

Not unlike Wakonda (fictional town in Kesey's book), Umpqua Co. (actual county name here once, now defunct after a merger with another county) and Jefferson, a state that north CA and south OR counties tried to create before WWII. More or less location accurate, but useless for any information harvestors.

Thanks. I've read a bit about Jefferson, seems like a good idea to resurect.

Latest posts

Back