Another new Alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Made my third one today, I think this one will be a keeper. Came across a scrap pile of the aluminum at a paper mill today, the bonus was that somebody was kind enough to put all the hardware from what was taken apart right with the stuff. Asked the maintenance guy on duty what they were doing with it and he said to go ahead and pick through, don't get that very often these days.View attachment 307402View attachment 307403

Made my third one today, I think this one will be a keeper. Came across a scrap pile of the aluminum at a paper mill today, the bonus was that somebody was kind enough to put all the hardware from what was taken apart right with the stuff. Asked the maintenance guy on duty what they were doing with it and he said to go ahead and pick through, don't get that very often these days.View attachment 307402View attachment 307403

Nice find and build Jim. Looks like you have something that will last you for years.

jerry-

Hey Jerry! Just checking the unread stuff and saw your post. I really like the new mill, very happy I did it.

Hey Jerry! Just checking the unread stuff and saw your post. I really like the new mill, very happy I did it.

Morning Jim,

When you have a nice mill, they sure are fun to run.

It's been way to hot/dry here to do any milling yet. I have three trees ready to go when the weather starts cooling off. I've been talking with a friend who's neighbor has been collecting local redwood trees that he has been sawing up on his Lucas mill for lumber. He has also been collecting black walnut stumps/trunks for quite a few years thinking he would get the chainsaw milling attachment for it, that didn't happen. Now he has been told he has to get the redwood logs and walnut off the property soon.

My friend lives across the road from him and has agreed to let me move some of the wood to his barn so I can mill it with my mill. Some of the redwood is in the 36-40" wide range with no knots which will make for nice table tops with live edges. The black walnut stumps/trunks will use every bit of my 50" milling bar. My friend wants some redwood benches for the winery so I'll mill some for him and then mill the walnut into slabs. I'll get pictures to post this coming Saturday as I will be up there cutting oak firewood.

Have fun with that new mill!

jerry-

Morning Jim,

When you have a nice mill, they sure are fun to run.

It's been way to hot/dry here to do any milling yet. I have three trees ready to go when the weather starts cooling off. I've been talking with a friend who's neighbor has been collecting local redwood trees that he has been sawing up on his Lucas mill for lumber. He has also been collecting black walnut stumps/trunks for quite a few years thinking he would get the chainsaw milling attachment for it, that didn't happen. Now he has been told he has to get the redwood logs and walnut off the property soon.

My friend lives across the road from him and has agreed to let me move some of the wood to his barn so I can mill it with my mill. Some of the redwood is in the 36-40" wide range with no knots which will make for nice table tops with live edges. The black walnut stumps/trunks will use every bit of my 50" milling bar. My friend wants some redwood benches for the winery so I'll mill some for him and then mill the walnut into slabs. I'll get pictures to post this coming Saturday as I will be up there cutting oak firewood.

Have fun with that new mill!

jerry-

Hey Jerry, that sounds like a great milling score. You'll get some great stuff out of those logs and stumps.

Back