Another Oil Thread 🙄

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same opinion of most engines. Outside of a design flaw or a massive amount of time in use, as long as it has the correct amount of oil, changed somewhere close to proper time/ freshish mixed, and somewhere near the correct spec you will never have an oil related issue before something else breaks or you get tired of looking at the thing.

I doubt many guys are sending clapped out saws to a guy to get worked on at $50-75/hr. They quit being worth that long before they get parked
You might be surprised. Most of what I do goes out for $10. We used to do flooded and stopped up muffler screens for nothing. But, decided we needed to charge something.

It is really the cost of the parts that is prohibitive. I'll put a new top end on for an hour. But, add $300 for an OEM top end and I wouldn't do it either.

Well, I'm still of the opinion I have never seen a worn out saw. And, I have seen a crap load of them.

They either get dropped, run over, straight gassed, just become obsolete, whatever.

But, worn out from cutting wood properly ? Nahh.
My logging buddy has a whole shed full of worn out saws. Some were from accidents, but most are low on compression. He gets about 2 years out of one, provided it doesn't fall off the skidder or something else doesn't get it. One year he had 3 stolen between 2 different jobs. They live a hard life.

My logging buddy has a whole shed full of worn out saws. Some were from accidents, but most are low on compression. He gets about 2 years out of one, provided it doesn't fall off the skidder or something else doesn't get it. One year he had 3 stolen between 2 different jobs. They live a hard life.
Most loggers are like that and tend to stick to one saw model as long it's available so they can cannibalize the worn out ones.

I have the same opinion of most engines. Outside of a design flaw or a massive amount of time in use, as long as it has the correct amount of oil, changed somewhere close to proper time/ freshish mixed, and somewhere near the correct spec you will never have an oil related issue before something else breaks or you get tired of looking at the thing.
As it pertains to four cycle oils this is nondoubt true. If only because oils are so highly refined now. This assumes a quality engine like Toyota or Honda.
As for two cycles. I have seen boat oil wear out saws prematurely. I've also seen some beat the odds and last on boat oil. I've seen outboards ran at 100:1 commercialy start to lose power prematurely when those run on 50:1 didn't.
Alot of guys are under the assumption that failures in two cycles are acute in nature, but in most all cases they are chronic. On top of that most don't put enough hours on their saws to know.

Warren is the primary manufacturer of Wal-Mart's Techtron oils , although Exxonmobile & Pennzoil also contribute in some States apparently .
Thank you for these tidbits. In the 80s we got oil and antifreeze from warren oil on the Iowa side of the river from Omaha (Bellvue) Lou Isenstat was the middle man for us. Warren oil was a busy place then and I bet even busier now. I assume they are ome and the same company.

Have a straight gassed MS460 right now that the owner wants a new OEM top end put on. What he wants to do. $400 at least depending. Saw looks rough. Still waiting on one that needs freshened up from use.
I don't work on feller bunchers .
Any feller buncher engine would out last a saw doing the same work 20-30x over.

Most loggers are like that and tend to stick to one saw model as long it's available so they can cannibalize the worn out ones.
It's like a time capsul looking around in his shed. Went ftom old stihl 070, few 056's in there then he switched to husqy at some point. 272, then 372's, there one 576xp and a few years ago he switched to 572xp and I think that's what he settled on for now. He's just as much a collector of saws as the next guy, so there's a bunch of other makes and models, but but by long and far he has more 372's then I've ever seen in one place, all picked over to some degree.

I don't doubt any of that. But, those who use a saw to that extent are maybe 1 in 100 , at the most.

I go through maybe 10 saws a week, depending on time of year, and another 20 or 30 blowers, weed eaters, cut off saws, and I never see one worn out. Never. Well, maybe cut off saw with no water. Concrete dust is rough.

Plenty straight gas, diesel fuel, run over , dropped,...

Even the tree service guys whose saws are shot, it is wear and tear other than the engine. I can make them run fine if they want.
I had an MS440C that was running OK until I changed the spark plug and got a bit of sawdust in it. It scored the cylinder walls and lost compression. I got an estimate of over $1000 to fix it. So I bought a new MS500i for $1180. No telling how long the 440 would have run if I hadn't screwed it up. Everything is repairable if you throw money at it, but sometimes it does not make sense to do so.
As another data point, my local timber buyer/sawmill gets about 5 years out of their saws. They use Jonsereds.

It's like a time capsul looking around in his shed. Went ftom old stihl 070, few 056's in there then he switched to husqy at some point. 272, then 372's, there one 576xp and a few years ago he switched to 572xp and I think that's what he settled on for now. He's just as much a collector of saws as the next guy, so there's a bunch of other makes and models, but but by long and far he has more 372's then I've ever seen in one place, all picked over to some degree.
A ported 372 was my saw of choice when logging. Tried others, but never found anything better for my use.

This is an excellent two-stroke oil. Burns squeeky clean, lubes great. I run it in a 462 every day and no issues or downtime. Their bar oil is also top notch. I run it at 40:1.
Check out their greases and auto engine oils, great products, been around since the 1800's.

Well then would a saw with a leaking air filter cause more wear, I think so.
Maybe. But it is also possible that even a leaking air filter keeps the particle size really small, so maybe there is less damage. Removing a spark plug can let big particles get in. You can be sure I won't make that mistake again, and I will be looking carefully at the filter area of my MS500i, though I heard they fixed that problem. In any case, my 440 ran very badly and the cylinder wall scoring was quite visible.

and I will be looking carefully at the filter area of my MS500i, though I heard they fixed that problem
No. It’s the same as the first one ever made. The filter fills up relatively quickly and the cover gets a bit sloppy and lets fines in by the knob. Just keep it clean

Back