Another Stihl dealer issue....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coveredinsap said:
Well, 10% off of a 20% overpriced item means that you're still paying 10% too much.

Really? Is this SAP math?

A simple example if I may?

If we have an item that retails for $100 and it is 20% overpriced, then it is $120, right?

Subtract 10% and we have:
$120 - $12 = $108

So where do you get the 10% ??? :confused:

Stick to newspaper training your saws.

edit:
Meebe ya got confused that 10% is how much throttle ya gots to give the King of Saws to keep up with a 455 Rancher at WOT?

Last edited:
chowdozer said:
Really? Is this SAP math?

A simple example if I may?

If we have an item that retails for $100 and it is 20% overpriced, then it is $120, right?

Subtract 10% and we have:
$120 - $12 = $108

So where do you get the 10% ??? :confused:

Stick to newspaper training your saws.

LOL:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: chowdozer your math looks better then the other guys..

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
I gavem 15% off

So, how much mark-up is there? The rest of us want to know how much we are being taken for!

I know Bailey's prices on Husky saws is about 20% less than my dealer sells them for...but at least the dealer throws in a bar and chain.

coveredinsap said:
Well, 10% off of a 20% overpriced item means that you're still paying 10% too much.

How do you know its 20% overpriced? And overpriced compared to what? Production costs? Shipping costs? Tooling set-up? Casts and molds? Or how about wages and benefits for the guy making it?

I am sure I am paying a premium for the "Stihl" name, but I like to buy the best. My point was, and you obviously have an agenda, that he gave me a discount without even a second thought. I didnt have to ask for it either.

Sap, its getting old. I, too, think you should stick to arguing politics. You seem to have a way of bringing just about every thread you post your insight, into trash.

I love my Stihl Dealer. They are a bunch of amish guys and they service a ton of loggers in the area. When my 044 got stolen and I went to "price" a new one, he said that he felt bad and to keep my business he would sell me a new 440 with 20" bar and two chains for $550 out the door. I think regular retail is about $669 if I remember correctly. This is the same dealer that sells one chain for msrp and the 2nd chain is 4.00 more. Doesn't matter on the size.

I've bought a ton of **** from my local amish Husky dealer and never gotten any kind of "discount" on new parts or saw prices. Kinda says something right there.....

-Steve

Four Paws said:
So, how much mark-up is there? The rest of us want to know how much we are being taken for!

I know Bailey's prices on Husky saws is about 20% less than my dealer sells them for...but at least the dealer throws in a bar and chain.

Four Paws you didn't read my post very close. If you look again I said I gave the fire company 15% off BUT some of that comes back from Stihl. Meaning Stihl is going to give me back some of that 15%. As far as mark up in general goes the mark up on Stihl is no higher than Husky, in fact it may well be less. Baileys offers good prices, no doubt about that but ask Baileys if they pay the same price for their stock as a small time Husky dealer,hmmmm. Baileys is a huge outfit and no doubt they get good prices because of how much they buy. They can afford to pass on those savings, a small time dealer cannot. As for price in general we have a small wooden sign that hangs in the building. It says this: We Know Others Sell For Less And Thats Ok, They Know And We Know What Their Stuff Is Worth.
Note as well you and that Shindiawa sign there. Go price trimmers cc for cc verses Stihl and tell me who is higher. Talk about overprice, theres a prime example. A 25cc 4 stroke Shindiawa cost as much as a 31cc 4 stroke Stihl and theres no comparsion in power, the Stihl kills it. So much for overprice, your a glutting for your own punishment..........

coveredinsap said:

That coming from a man who pays $45.00 for a chain that his Husky dealer pays 10.00 for, hmmmmmmm. I guess its ok to get drove DEEP in the rear end by those you like verses getting a fair price by those you don't like,hmmmmm, sorta makes you a sucker doesn't it,:hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
That coming from a man who pays $45.00 for a chain that his Husky dealer pays 10.00 for, hmmmmmmm. I guess its ok to get drove DEEP in the rear end by those you like verses getting a fair price by those you don't like,hmmmmm, sorta makes you a sucker doesn't it,:hmm3grin2orange:

lol......... Thall, maybe is aint the chain she goes there for ?? :laugh:

Four Paws said:

Notice how Thall not-so-cleverly avoids answering the direct question of just how much of a "mark-up" there is on those overpriced Stihl saws where he works?

Let's face it...he gives the local Fire Company 15% off the 20% inflated 'retail' price, Stihl kicks him back some...I'm guessing around 5% or so...so he's still making a good 10% inflated 'retail' after all is said and done on those overpriced dealer saws....plus the Fire Company thinks they got a great 'deal'....just like Casey thinks.

coveredinsap said:
Notice how Thall not-so-cleverly avoids answering the direct question of just how much of a "mark-up" there is on those overpriced Stihl saws where he works?

Let's face it...he gives the local Fire Company 15% off the 20% inflated 'retail' price, Stihl kicks him back some...I'm guessing around 5% or so...so he's still making a good 10% inflated 'retail' after all is said and done on those overpriced dealer saws....plus the Fire Company thinks they got a great 'deal'....just like Casey thinks.

Sap tell us how much mark up are on the Husky parts you buy??
How much do you mark up the tomahawks you sell??
How much is the price marked up on the food you buy??

So if Stihl is so over priced then Husky must be two..So are you telling us you own an over priced Husky???

The prices I've seen on Husky saws seems to run very close to Stihl.. But I compare 395xp to ms660 and model for model they are very close in price..

Now I can agree with when you compare your rancher with a ms460 there is a big price difference on the other hand you take a Stihl ms290 vs Husky 372 it seems to be the samething...

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:

If the markup on Stihl parts bothers you that much, don't buy any Stihl parts.

Oh, that's right, you don't.

So what's your beef? Parts that you don't need, can't use and don't buy are too expensive? :deadhorse:

coveredinslappy said:

He didn't avoid the question, he's a retailer , his customers receive quality products & excellent service @ a reasonable cost....period!

See if Bailey's (or Wall-mart) can help you when your equip. is down and you have a contract on the line...........a lot of good your few pennys saved did when ya can't finish the job, huh Slap?

Maybe if you were a profitable business owner who sold a reputable product (NOT), you'd understand (doubt it).

:deadhorse:

Hey Sappy take a look...

Husky 395xp list price is 1089.95 with 32in bar

VS

Stihl MS660mag list price of 1049.95 with 32in bar

looks close to me but looks like ...Ok you do the math

and I'm not picking on Husky just showing ol-sap for brains the prices

Four Paws said:

Which means nothing if the bar and chain that the dealer happens to throw in is not what you happen to want.

coveredinsap said:

I notice you not so cleverly admit your Husky dealer is screwing the hell out of you on chains Sap, why? As far as percentages if you think making 10% above cost is a huge profit you must be outta your mind. Since were facing it Sap whats the mark up on your tomahawks, a 1000 per cent maybe,hmmmmmmmm. Talk about highway robbery, that takes the case Sap. Course the thief is always the first one to complain about prices, hmmmmmmmm...

computeruser said:
Which means nothing if the bar and chain that the dealer happens to throw in is not what you happen to want.
Huh? You'd complain about free merchandise?

Went to my Stihl dealer thursday, trade my 4 year old MS290 for a new MS361. The owner traded me for $325 difference on a saw that was marked $589.95. To me that means I ran my 290 for 4 years and recieved about $35 less than what I payed for it. ( $300 new - $265 on trade) The next day I went back to get a couple of files for the bigger chain that came on it and he gave me the files for free and through in a new Stihl hat because, as he told the sales clerck, I purchased a new saw the day before. Now to me this is a no brainer that I'm going to go back to him if I need something else. Good business on his part.

Boiler

Oh Yah, just had a chance to run the 361:D :D :D :D :D

boilerhouse47 said:
Went to my Stihl dealer thursday, trade my 4 year old MS290 for a new MS361. The owner traded me for $325 difference on a saw that was marked $589.95. To me that means I ran my 290 for 4 years and recieved about $35 less than what I payed for it. ( $300 new - $265 on trade) The next day I went back to get a couple of files for the bigger chain that came on it and he gave me the files for free and through in a new Stihl hat because, as he told the sales clerck, I purchased a new saw the day before. Now to me this is a no brainer that I'm going to go back to him if I need something else. Good business on his part.

Boiler

Oh Yah, just had a chance to run the 361:D :D :D :D :D

Thats one issue no one will argu, no one. What saw holds its value better than any other, Stihl. Thats a fact everyone knows and some , like Sap, rather not talk about. That 455 saw he has used a few months may bring a 100.00-150.00 if he's lucky, they don't hold their value, not because there is anything wrong with it, its just a fact they don't hold their value......not even those 45.00 chains hold their value,lol..............

Hey Thall:

I remember something about a guy that recently purchased a 36" bar and thought that he got a heck of a deal. Heck, he even posted a bunch of pictures of it!

Paid something like $50 for it and pointed out how his preferred dealer had it marked for something like $95 or some crazy high price.

Was that bar way over-priced in the first place or did it lose a lot of value just hanging around on his dealer's wall? Or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back