Another Stihl saw question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV wood chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My dealer and I were talking about the MS 461, which won't be available till winter here:(, and he was telling me that in 6 months ALL Stihl saws will be fuel injected!! Has anyone else heard this? I am trying to wait till the 461 is released here, but MAN I want a new saw now!:msp_w00t:

My understanding from the Stihl rep yesterday is that the MS461 will be the next saw to get the M-Tronic system. There is also pictures of a new MS661 that should be out late next year. Have not heard when they are going to go from M-Tronic to fuel injection on chainsaws.

so when im wAy up in the woods cutting firewood i better bring my stihl diagnostic computer that costs 800 plus the adapters too plug it in to the saw

i like carbs!!!!!

STIHL fuel injection

I was speaking with my local STIHL Tech rep and he told me that the pro series of chainsaws will be upgraded to the M-tronic system over the course of the next 18mos. fuel injuction at this point in time is only available on the TS 500i & the TS 480i (coming this spring) the MS661 is due to be released this spring as well (it will feature the strat scavenging engine, updated ignition component & M-tronic. The MS461 is a good runner but I was surprised that STIHL did not incorporate the spring mounts (like the 441) it does however have much better vibration levels than the 460 & the fuel economy is unbelievable, power output is better than the 460 & weight is about the same.
My dealer and I were talking about the MS 461, which won't be available till winter here:(, and he was telling me that in 6 months ALL Stihl saws will be fuel injected!! Has anyone else heard this? I am trying to wait till the 461 is released here, but MAN I want a new saw now!:msp_w00t:

i like carbs

I like carbs too, but what happens when your "way up in the woods" an the welch plug falls out of the carburettor? (ethanol content) or the intake manifold fails? or you lose a crank seal? I get your point that a carburettor gives you some options as far as tinkering or adjusting, but in my experience, whenever my saws have acted up in the bush, it is rarely a carburettor problem. and as my local tech rep from stihl tells me; for power, performance, and overall efficiency, a naturally aspirated engine will never come close to fuel injection. The M-tronic system removes any & all user error when it comes to adjusting air fuel mixture as it is constantly meassuring and adjusting, so a change in elevation, drop in temperature or change in atmospheric pressure & partially plugged air filter will be compensated for without having to adjust the hspeed or L speed screws (lets face it every carb on todays chainsaws are 80% fixed jet and only allow give you 20% adjustment, not much that you can do with that
so when im wAy up in the woods cutting firewood i better bring my stihl diagnostic computer that costs 800 plus the adapters too plug it in to the saw

i like carbs!!!!!

I like carbs as much as the guy. But I have to say, I'm really enjoying this 441C I just aqquired. It's running really good. It's so smooth to run and it sounds like it's tuned to perfection at all times. I know thats because it is tuned to perfection at all times. :D

It's balanced perfect with a 28' Sugihara bar. It feels really good in the hands and it comes close to running with my ported 372xpw. It's a heck of a saw and is really growing on me after working with it a few days. Funny thing is, as heavy as everyone here claims it to be, I can pick it up next to my xpw and can't tell the difference in weight.

If fuel injection does to chainsaws what it did to automobiles, motorcycles, snowmobiles and atv's it will be a good thing!

I do not own an M-Tronic or AT saw. But nobody can tell me how well they run at high altitude. They are not popular here and I'm not sure why. Still selling the h#ll out of the old technology! Fuel injection will be the way to go in the future, and Stihl is leading in that technology!

How does this system work?Exhaust gas temperature readings?Sort of like an 02 sensor in a car?Outside temperature, throttle position sensor?Barometric pressure have any effect? I understand the mixture setting but what tells this thing when and how much of a change? Does it change the timing?What is the power source? I am most skeptical, Ken

I like carbs too, but what happens when your "way up in the woods" an the welch plug falls out of the carburettor? (ethanol content) or the intake manifold fails? or you lose a crank seal? I get your point that a carburettor gives you some options as far as tinkering or adjusting, but in my experience, whenever my saws have acted up in the bush, it is rarely a carburettor problem. and as my local tech rep from stihl tells me; for power, performance, and overall efficiency, a naturally aspirated engine will never come close to fuel injection. The M-tronic system removes any & all user error when it comes to adjusting air fuel mixture as it is constantly meassuring and adjusting, so a change in elevation, drop in temperature or change in atmospheric pressure & partially plugged air filter will be compensated for without having to adjust the hspeed or L speed screws (lets face it every carb on todays chainsaws are 80% fixed jet and only allow give you 20% adjustment, not much that you can do with that

yea but also you know that they're gonna set the fuel injection to make it run way lean to meet emissions an there aint gonna be nothin anyone can do the saws wont last as long and theyll be twice as expensive

Last edited:
yea but also you know that they're gonna set the fuel injection to make it run way lean to meet emissions an there aint gonna be nothin anyone can do the saws wont last as long

Thanks for bringing me back to reality. I was thinking all of these great things about future saws and performance and then your post pops up and reminds me of what is really going to happen.

Fuel injection is the future, at first no one thought a strato or m-tronic or Autotune performance could be enhanced, someone will have it figured out how to make gains fairly quickly, even if it is aftermarket modules.

Not sure why anyone would say that fuel injected saws won't last as long. It may take a few years but it will happen. Look at vehicles today, as much as I love the 70's model trucks, they just don't hold up to the mileage that todays trucks will(engine). Most of those gains were because of fuel injection.

All of this wizmo/gizmo talk could start to get me a little concerned.

I've got a few saws on the shelf that are all carbage garbage. What to do with them?
Should I toss them now or just part them out on the bay?

Actually, I'm hoping there will continue to be a market for the old mechanical fuel metering device saws.

Not sure why anyone would say that fuel injected saws won't last as long. It may take a few years but it will happen. Look at vehicles today, as much as I love the 70's model trucks, they just don't hold up to the mileage that todays trucks will(engine). Most of those gains were because of fuel injection.

You will with ignition moduals and aftermarket crap. I Owned 4 harleys in my time the worst was the fuel injected, because in order to mod the you either bought a program or needed a dyno. trucks today are tin cans, and compared to yesteryear TBD.

Back