Any ideas about what to say...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umm... i dont know lol. i dont sell or buy firewood. i burn about 20 cord a year for the house and garage. most people around here can drive 5 minutes in any direction and stop at a landing and pick up some tops for free. or get a fuelwood permit for $15 and cut all the wood they want. i pay $1.27 a liter for gas and still save money cutting my own wood(i think thats around $5.80 a gallon? not to sure). at $195 a cord i would be paying just under $4000 a winter for heat. oil, propane or even electric heat would be cheaper. well maybe not electric heat. not sure about natural gas cant get it here.

i was just surprised when i saw how much firewood was going for there. i'm not saying it's too much, he obviously has no problem getting rid off it.

supply and demand right

Try it next year & let us know how that works out!!!Kinda like the guy that lives by my BIL, says he heats the WHOLE winter on 275gal oil...yea :msp_glare:right!!:msp_glare:eek:r the ad I seen @ local TSC, $50 for truckload of SEASONED hardwood cut to length requested,yea right... seasoned for the amount of time it takes to get to customers dump site:msp_laugh:..I heat the whole winter on 2 popsickle sticks & 1 stickmatch:msp_flapper:

OP, I forgot to address your question.Here is what I tell folks.

Phone rings and some clown wants some firewood.Its late, you just ate dinner,and Law and Order is just fixing to come on.And you dont want to go back out.

"Well sir,I would be glad to add you to my list,but tonight/today is out of the question.I only sell high quality,seasoned for a year firewood,so I have a waiting list.If you can wait until tomorrow for a superior product,then I can be there tomorrow after XXXXXX.It has been my experience that anyone sitting around waiting for a phone call to deliver wood in weather like this is probably sitting on wood that he cut last week,but if you would like to take a chance on that, here is the number of a couple of guys that might run out to you tonight."
Have a few numbers on hand from guys in the local paper that you know sell trash wood.Dont know who they are?Easy.I visit several wood sellers every year that pop up in the paper.I call the number,tell em I want to check out their wood,and make a visit.I keep a running list of sellers in my area.Some are highlighted as they sell a high quality product,and I send business their way when I cant handle the volume.Some are listed as trash wood sellers.

Now,if you feel like heading out in zero below temps, tell em "Give me your address,and I will be there as soon as I thaw out my boots,dig the truck out, and get a load on the truck."

The choice is yours!

I've bought good seasoned split hardwood for 120.00 a cord from the local Amish.
Also have seen it that price with others. When I buy wood I can get it around 60.00 a cord in log form. I agree though if I sold it, I would never be that cheap. It's alot of work.

Who you getting logs from for $60/cord? Is that delivered, are they real logs or just tops? I don't understand how I'm selling 400-500 cords/year at $200/cord if so many others are selling the "same thing" for half that.:confused2:

The only real way to make money in firewood is to go big; which means about $100K in equipment (processor, loader, dump truck, support equip.) plus having the logs delivered. There's not enough time in a day for a small crew to do everything.

Who you getting logs from for $60/cord? Is that delivered, are they real logs or just tops? I don't understand how I'm selling 400-500 cords/year at $200/cord if so many others are selling the "same thing" for half that.

Ohiowood guy how much u pay per cord? I pay 45 delivered and I run through 200+ a season. Just wondering what other firewood guys are paying per cord delivered. What Are your sources loggers of tree guys? I go through a tree service but I think he is going to have trouble keeping the price that low (**** oil tycoons)
Or am I paying to much already? I saw the 60 cord so that kinda makes me feel good, maybe???

Craigslist last year. I'm going to check again this year. It's not a firewood dealer but someone who was earning some money on the side. I bought it last year because it was cheap and if I get the same deal this year I will buy. They were logs and not tops. My sisters boyfriend owns a tree service so I will be checking with him.

Try it next year & let us know how that works out!!!Kinda like the guy that lives by my BIL, says he heats the WHOLE winter on 275gal oil...yea :msp_glare:right!!:msp_glare:eek:r the ad I seen @ local TSC, $50 for truckload of SEASONED hardwood cut to length requested,yea right... seasoned for the amount of time it takes to get to customers dump site:msp_laugh:..I heat the whole winter on 2 popsickle sticks & 1 stickmatch:msp_flapper:

try what next year?

Charge the "expedite rate".
Cash Only-before dumping stacking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regular, good customers get regular rate.
It is your business after all :)

Just remember this saying: 'Piss poor planning on your part, does not necessitate an emergency on mine.'

I've had a few of those calls, they're definitely no fun. Delivering in horrible weather/road conditions - been there done that.

I don't understand how charging extra for a non regular customer that didn't plan ahead is "ripping them off".

#1: Their problem is not your problem #2: Have them call their propane company at 6pm on Friday with only a few hours of gas left. It's a business. The propane truck isn't going to rush out for free.

Just remember this saying: 'Piss poor planning on your part, does not necessitate an emergency on mine.'

I've had a few of those calls, they're definitely no fun. Delivering in horrible weather/road conditions - been there done that.

I thought all the nasty stuff missed you guys in Fowlerville and dumped on Byron...:hmm3grin2orange:

I once saw a sign in an office which said...

"Lack of planning on your part does not justify an emergency on my part."

I have considered charging more for "emergency" deliveries, but it seems too much like price gouging; and I'm trying to screw the oil companies- not imitate them!

I have considered charging more for "emergency" deliveries, but it seems too much like price gouging; and I'm trying to screw the oil companies- not imitate them!

LOL... Now if only I could run my truck on wood, we have em' by the throat!:msp_laugh:

I thought all the nasty stuff missed you guys in Fowlerville and dumped on Byron...:hmm3grin2orange:

Well, not so much this year :). BTW, how do you know of Byron? Half the people within 30 miles of it don't even know it exists, let alone someone from MO.

I just tell people what I can or can't do, no sorry about it. I quit selling seasoned wood for now, I'm worried I'll run out of my heating supply. Well, I guess I was sorry when I had to tell Nicky the stripper I was out, she was my favorite customer.

I just tell people what I can or can't do, no sorry about it. I quit selling seasoned wood for now, I'm worried I'll run out of my heating supply. Well, I guess I was sorry when I had to tell Nicky the stripper I was out, she was my favorite customer.

Whats her address, I can get her some wood:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back