Any proven "step by step" porting threads for a specific saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'd like to modify a work saw beyond just opening the muffler. I've read that Husky 359 is a good candidate.

Are there any "step by step" porting threads that describe the process from start to finish for a specific saw like the 359 or possibly a 026 or 361? I'm looking for a "cook book" like formula to realize some modest proven gains beyond just muffler work but not to the extent of major changes in timing - just to make everything flow optimally. (doing a search all I could find were muffler modding threads).

I'm open to almost any medium saw (doesn't have to be 359) but would like it to be something that yields good proven benefits and isn't too difficult for a newbie.

I'd like to do this as a one time project just for the fun of it.

Any suggestions??

TIA

Last edited:
Likewise!

I've been working on saws full time for coming close to 16 years now, and after finding this website, along with getting a few logging jobs to do at the weekend... I've been bitten by the tuning bug.

Got my hands on a few huskys to mess with, 357xp, 42, 61 and 254xp

I'd like to get the 357xp pulling a 24" chain and decent power levels :)

:chainsawguy:

From what I have read in search of the exact same thing I have come to realize that it is like a great barbeque sauce recipe.

The ones who have it guard it very well.

There are some step by step porting accounts on 359's, you just may need to expand your search criteria some.

359 is an excelent saw to port, it can really wake up from porting, would not surprise me to achieve a saw that cuts close to twice as fast as stock. A well ported 359 will run with or beat a stock 395 in anything you can get a 16 inch bar into. My experience is that the Doing away with the Cat muffler can gain over 35% and porting can gain that much again or more and still allow the saw to be a reliable well mannered work saw.

Lower transfer ports need a lot of work, the casting in that area is really poor to start with. Be careful if you gut the CAT muffler, it's full of cancer causing crap, safer to get a non EPA 357 muffler from Baileys and open that up.

Brad Snelling did a relly great thread on modding saw with great pics his thread gave me enough confidence to port my saw. It gets a little off on camera stuff but when you try to take of your work you will understand all that stuff.

Latest posts

Back