anybody around here still chop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to split by hand some very large Tamaracks the other day. Way to heavy to stack on the buck log pile, until quartered. Even then quite heavy. A splitting wedge and a 10lb sledge hammer, took about 10 to 15 whacks to get in to halves.

I replaced straight handle on one of my axes, used small axe and knife to carve this handle, then bit of angle grinder to smooth upper part of the handle, I know, I'm lazy. Handle is Birch wood, it will polish in use, so no need to put any kind of finish on it.
big_billnas_new_handle.jpg

It works, seems to have more power even handle length is same as the old one.

I don't use much of that knob at the end, but I like it being that kind of hook as it allows me to kind of pull when striking if I need that little bit extra power for hit.

Still need to make more handles until I can say that I can make a handle, but practice seems to help.

5 hours and 30 minutes of active chopping today, that new handle works really well, chopped almost a cord of firewood today.

From this:
splitting_start_0sec.jpg

To this, it took 40 seconds when I did check it from film, splits pine really effortlessly.
splitting_ready_40sec.jpg

I'm not sure about the weight of that axe head, something around 4.5 to 5 pounds, little more from handle, not tiring at all really, I can keep chopping whole day with that.

Sometimes I have rounds that are bit harder to split with axe, but this method works well, a lot easier than hammering wedge in.
birch_y_haara_alku.jpg

birch_y_haara_hitting.jpg

birch_y_haara_splitting.jpg

Splitting wood by hand after a bad day at work is a great stress reliever as well.
Yes sir it sure is! My Dad passed away recently, my daughter just got married, and my son (best friend) has a girl friend now- been spending lots of time at the wood pile.

Oh yeah, I split every bit of wood that I cut by hand as long as it will bust open with a maul. Right now I have around 10-12 cord on hand and probably 75-80% of it was split by hand over the past couple years. I have a friend of a friend with a splitter that I can borrow when the pile of gnarly stuff gets big enough to make a day of it. But otherwise I'm out there swinging!

This is some of this winter's haul...about 3-4 cord of red oak, black locust, black walnut and silver maple. Everything in the piles was split by hand...the big chunks have been noodled and will need hydro.

20160309_122655.jpg

Latest posts

Back