Anybody buy truckloads of logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been getting tri-axle loads since about 2005. Started out around $400, is now up to $700. It's all hardwoods; mainly red and white oak with some hard maple thrown in for good measure. Had an occasional locust, hickory or sweet gum over the years. A solid load could be close to 7 cords once its been split and stacked. Some loads barely were 5 cords because the logs were too gnarly to pack tightly on the truck.

One "trick" I found in my region (Northeast USA) is to buy logs from landclearing companies. Don't buy from tree services because they're removing residential wood and it can have a lot of metal and don't buy from logging companies because they sell their shittiest logs for firewood. The land clearing outfits seem to have the best wood at the cheapest prices...at least around here.
If I help tree service companies remove big stuff that I can split, I don't pay for it. I'm actually saving them over $100 per job most of the time because that is what they pay to drop it at a recycling center.

I lucked out last year. Very few logs had and metal in them. However, tree service companies tend to cut logs at every possible angle and every possible length. I collected at least 25% more waste lengths and scrap. Even so, it all went up the chimney.

I like getting wood from excavating companies. They pull up at a house site and cut enought trees to build a house and theres not enough wood there to make hauling worth their time. Get there with a trailer while they are clearing and they will load the logs for you. Bestest, cheapest, easiest firewood you can get.

Latest posts

Back