Anybody have some closeup pics of a band roller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean these?
p19075a.jpg

Yup

Yep, just flip it.
You'll also need to fab up some kind of guide to keep the bead on the roller in the same place on the body around the band. Just a table with a little adjustable back fence would work.

Andy

Yep, just flip it.
You'll also need to fab up some kind of guide to keep the bead on the roller in the same place on the body around the band. Just a table with a little adjustable back fence would work.

Andy

So, if you took one of the pictured mandrels and milled a shoulder into one like I modified, would that be close to a working model?
attachment.php

heres a thought--and i dont have a sawmill--buttttt--hvac guys have a roller--that rolls the ends, on chimney pipe--single wall--would one of those--be strong enough to do what your wanting to do?? i would think you could get those for much less---and i know--there are diff rollers made for them--

heres a thought--and i dont have a sawmill--buttttt--hvac guys have a roller--that rolls the ends, on chimney pipe--single wall--would one of those--be strong enough to do what your wanting to do?? i would think you could get those for much less---and i know--there are diff rollers made for them--
It might, I don't know to be honest. HVAC guys roll galvanized flashing, don't they?

Bandsaw blades are made of spring steel, so it need to be able to roll the crown out of it, I think that is why the Cook's Band Roller has a flat and a bead/round, I think the large bead/round wheel pushes the crown down as it rolls it. At least if I understand how Andy described it.

I beleive the hardest thing here is going to be holding the blade centered on the crown your tring to remove!

Oh... then just modify one of the flat ones to the left side then, right?
That's what I was thinking, use the beaded mandrel with one of the flatter ones on the left, or just turn new ones on a lathe.

I am still unclear as to how much pressure is on the 2 mandrels and/or if there are only 2 ? Is the fit tight so when you turn the handle you can feel the beaded mandrel pushing down on the blade? Would be best to be able to use one I 'spose.

That's what I was thinking, use the beaded mandrel with one of the flatter ones on the left, or just turn new ones on a lathe.

I am still unclear as to how much pressure is on the 2 mandrels and/or if there are only 2 ? Is the fit tight so when you turn the handle you can feel the beaded mandrel pushing down on the blade? Would be best to be able to use one I 'spose.

I guess you could take a blade and cut it into 1 or 2 foot sections to be able to "read" the profile and experiment with the spacing of the mandrels...?

PS: I found one cheaper than $150:
How about $125.95
http://www.summitracing.com

Last edited:
So I have a question for Andy How much preasure does one have to put on the tention screw to acheive the desired effect on the blade!

So I have a question for Andy How much preasure does one have to put on the tention screw to acheive the desired effect on the blade!
The beading tools seem to have adjustable pressure as you need to tighten them as you continue to form the bead.

Summit bender!

Thanx for posting the Summit bender Ted j!
Being in canada I have a half chance of being able to order one!
I tried setting up an acount this morning but it won't accept my postal code!
I have an email into them to see if they can sort this out!I beleive this machine is the ticket for making the band roller we are all thinking about!

Thanx
again!

Thanx for posting the Summit bender Ted j!
Being in canada I have a half chance of being able to order one!
I tried setting up an acount this morning but it won't accept my postal code!
I have an email into them to see if they can sort this out!I beleive this machine is the ticket for making the band roller we are all thinking about!

Thanx
again!
I still like the looks of the ring bender as a base, from harbor freight. There are one or two in north Washington, if that works you could take a road trip. I don't know if the stores will ship to B.C., and think Harbor Freight is only in the U.S., but the base unit looks close to what is needed, sans the mandrels.

Al I like the harbour freight unit to nice and compact!But I'm thinking out of the box here Plan B if this don't work out for my blades I still will have a sheet metal bender for other projects!

Spent a whole 4 hours

Finally came up with this on this side of the border!
http://www.kmstools.com/magnum-bead-roller-2935
235 bucks gets it on my door step!
Looked absolutly everywhere. EBAY yada yada all would have been in the 300 range by the time the dust settled!So I may order this puppy and if it dont work out at least I got it for playing with body work on the old ford!

Al I like the harbour freight unit to nice and compact!But I'm thinking out of the box here Plan B if this don't work out for my blades I still will have a sheet metal bender for other projects!
Yeah, that's one way to look at it. Could even serve as dual purpose if designed right.

The Harbor Freight ring bender is about the most reasonably priced for what you get. I would need to look at it closer, there's a Harbor Freight not too far, about 45 minutes away, just need to get over there and see what it looks like.

Still need the mandrels, but I think I could turn them on my lathe, and then get them tempered.

Latest posts

Back