Anybody run a ported saw for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me put it this way, for me, it all comes down to weight. When you're out cutting all day, even ounces start to add up. While I love running the 372's, anybody who runs one can tell you after awhile of felling and bucking with one, you feel it. So when I can grab a 359 or even a 350 to do what I'd usually ask of a stock 372, it makes the day that much easier.

I picked up a chewed up 044 Mag on Ebay last winter and dropped a big bore kit in it. Runs great and has tons of power. I would like to port that out after this years wood cutting is done. I don't even use my 029 anymore. I only take it up to deer camp!

Let me put it this way, for me, it all comes down to weight. When you're out cutting all day, even ounces start to add up. While I love running the 372's, anybody who runs one can tell you after awhile of felling and bucking with one, you feel it. So when I can grab a 359 or even a 350 to do what I'd usually ask of a stock 372, it makes the day that much easier.

That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about it in that way. :msp_thumbsup:

That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about it in that way. :msp_thumbsup:

A husky 350 is light... And can pull a 20" in white Oak like this...
Hell yes a ported saw has a place in a wood cutter's arsenal!!!
[video=youtube;-yGnkDLPDpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGnkDLPDpA[/video]

My 025 is box stock. "Most of the time" it cuts as fast as I need it to, so it'll stay that way. The old 60cc Craftsman/Roper is waiting for some attention. It'll probably get a simple muffler mod and that's about it. Not much point, for me, to drop cash on a souped-up saw when I really don't need one. I do have access to an old Poulan 4200 if I need more grunt.

The real question in my mind is "Why would anyone run a stock saw?"

Sure, I know there are plenty of reasons. Just I don't hardly own a stock anything, except my wife because she showed up just perfect.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

The real question in my mind is "Why would anyone run a stock saw?"

Sure, I know there are plenty of reasons. Just I don't hardly own a stock anything, except my wife because she showed up just perfect.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

As mentioned above...

My 025 is box stock. "Most of the time" it cuts as fast as I need it to, so it'll stay that way. The old 60cc Craftsman/Roper is waiting for some attention. It'll probably get a simple muffler mod and that's about it. Not much point, for me, to drop cash on a souped-up saw when I really don't need one. I do have access to an old Poulan 4200 if I need more grunt.

I've been ruined forever... I can't leave a saw stock for long... Just seems like I'm doing it an injustice...
That, and I like to run 3/8 on even on the small ones... So they gotta "pick up the pace" a bit...
:msp_sneaky:

Stock saws?...Blasphemy!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'll put it this way. I bought my 390xp, ran it stock was not impressed with it, sent it out to BSnelling, and 10days later i had a helluva screamer of a saw. I bypassed the buying and shipping aspect for my 346xp and 372xt/xpw...Paid BSnelling for the saws, had him port them and then send em' to me.:hmm3grin2orange::msp_smile:

I've been ruined forever... I can't leave a saw stock for long... Just seems like I'm doing it an injustice...
That, and I like to run 3/8 on even on the small ones... So they gotta "pick up the pace" a bit...
:msp_sneaky:

I got a few years on you. I don't work at that pace any longer. ;o)

Stock saws?...Blasphemy!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'll put it this way. I bought my 390xp, ran it stock was not impressed with it, sent it out to BSnelling, and 10days later i had a helluva screamer of a saw. I bypassed the buying and shipping aspect for my 346xp and 372xt/xpw...Paid BSnelling for the saws, had him port them and then send em' to me.:hmm3grin2orange::msp_smile:

I'm not much into screamers. I'd prefer the occasional moaner myself. I don't cut for profit. I cut for fun and firewood. I guess I should mention that my 2.0 Craftsman has been MM'd. Whoop-de-doo...

I'm not much into screamers. I'd prefer the occasional moaner myself. I don't cut for profit. I cut for fun and firewood. I guess I should mention that my 2.0 Craftsman has been MM'd. Whoop-de-doo...

Jerry reed wrote the song that suits my wood cutting life...
"Got a long way to go, and a short time to get there"
:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm kinda of like them in the middle between screamer and stock saw's :msp_smile:

Sure I like cleaning up the cylinders and doing a MM and messing with the carbs

Jerry reed wrote the song that suits my wood cutting life...
"Got a long way to go, and a short time to get there"
:hmm3grin2orange:

I never put much thought into "time left". It is what it is. Some days I work sun up to sun down. Some days I don't work at all. And everything in between. Because I can. :potstir:

I got a screamer, oh wait we are still talking about saws. :msp_confused:

i use an 036 pro that has been masterminded. last year i picked up a brand new 441cm-tronic and my 036 is now my go to saw. its lighter and id almost say more powerfull. modded saws rock

I've got a tired 044 that I picked up this past spring from a retired logger. Cut about 5-6 cords with it since I got it, and while I really like it, I keep feeling like it needs an overhaul and could stand a little more oomph. Really considering sending it out to one of the builders on this site to get it rebuilt/"woods" ported to be done with it....then, I'll have a strong, reliable saw for years to come.

Anybody else run a ported saw for firewood duty? If so, what is it? How do you like it? To what effect is it ported, and what do you think is too much for this type of use? Just looking for some feedback outside of the Chainsaw forum, which has tendency to drift farther and farther away from real life application at times...:D

Personally I try to use my saw a good bit at least one of two days every week. Doesn't always work out like that due to family, work, and weather, but when I want my saw to run, I want it to run strong.

Try to open the exhaust hole first, its free and you can take pride that you added a boatload of power to your saw.
Use a die grinder and open her up to the full extent that the shield/deflector will allow you. Bring that size opening up to the front, about 1/4" from the seam. Dont go too deep, you will have the spark arrestor under there, pay attention and your spark arrestor will keep out debris with the bigger hole.

RE-TUNE the carb !!!!

Now go gut some wood, you could probably push a 32" bar with RS chain no problem.

Now - remember this difference because when you port it and up the compression compression, you will see about the same jump in performance.

I never put much thought into "time left". It is what it is. Some days I work sun up to sun down. Some days I don't work at all. And everything in between. Because I can. :potstir:

Nice post :msp_smile:

It all comes down to a personal preference. I had one done by randy and it really woke up it up. I had a couple others in dire need of some TLC so I decided to have them worked on and ported also. I will report back on those when they find their way back from randy. Ported saws run much better(power wise) than a stock saw, but with that extra power you have to pay attention.

Shea

PS-Find someone nearby that has a ported saw and run it, then make up your mind.

Back