Anybody run a ported saw for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all comes down to a personal preference. I had one done by randy and it really woke up it up. I had a couple others in dire need of some TLC so I decided to have them worked on and ported also. I will report back on those when they find their way back from randy. Ported saws run much better(power wise) than a stock saw, but with that extra power you have to pay attention.

Shea

PS-Find someone nearby that has a ported saw and run it, then make up your mind.

That's great advice Shae...
I've noticed all my ported saws just "behave" better... The extra compression allows you to set your low jet a little fatter and still idle... They run cooler of all things and have that nice throttle response...

I have a Stihl 260 pro that I never was impressed with. I had Treemonkey port it and now I just love running it. I also have a Stihl361 that I had Treemonkey port as well and that runs with my 044 now. The next one will be the 044 to go in and get ported. Treemonkey has been porting for years unlike some of the other builders on this site. I no for a fact that he has dun more Stihl 044/440 than any other builder. Ported saws just rock, watch out for screamers they may be fun in the begining but don't last long. I no of one of Treemonkeys ported saws that has been in the woods every week by a logger for the last 10 years. They pulled it apart a month ago and only put a ring in it" it didn't even need it but they put one in anyways for peace of mind" I don't no of any other builder that has been doing it that long or has a ported saw last that long.

Beefie

Try to open the exhaust hole first, its free and you can take pride that you added a boatload of power to your saw.
Use a die grinder and open her up to the full extent that the shield/deflector will allow you. Bring that size opening up to the front, about 1/4" from the seam. Dont go too deep, you will have the spark arrestor under there, pay attention and your spark arrestor will keep out debris with the bigger hole.

RE-TUNE the carb !!!!

Now go gut some wood, you could probably push a 32" bar with RS chain no problem.

Now - remember this difference because when you port it and up the compression compression, you will see about the same jump in performance.

Like this

I thoroughly enjoyed this statement. It made the little voice in my head whisper to me,"...I WANT THAT..." :laugh:

I've run saws all my life, but till I ran one of Stumpy's 372's at a GTG, I had nooo idea....
I just got done running an 880 and a 660... Both impressed me and I was happy... But then I grabbed this old beat up 372, fired it off and blew through the same log...
In less time...
Huh??? How is this possible????
Then he went on to tell me all about blowdown and duration and degrees and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....
Totally lost me...
But I had to have one of those saws!!!
Bryan is right.. They have a hatred of wood...:angry2:

File the rakers down boys...
We got us a ported 372!!!!!!

Thnx Hedge and VT, Its set slightly rich on the high jet, decked, ported, just screams.
I run my oil mix very fat, its just some excess 2 cycle creamsickle schmootz .

If I could only have 1 saw, this would be it !!!

Everyone seems to be in agreement on porting a saw. But nobody mentioned a ballpark cost of getting one done. Everyone here knows money is not a object when it comes to our toys, but what is an approx cost to have a 044 done?

Everyone seems to be in agreement on porting a saw. But nobody mentioned a ballpark cost of getting one done. Everyone here knows money is not a object when it comes to our toys, but what is an approx cost to have a 044 done?

Its seems that $250 is ballpark for a woods port.

Back