Anyone ever been told that tree work is not a steady job in the colder areas???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was told the other day that I needed to find a more steady job. That tree work was not a very steady income. I was wondering how you guys handled this question? When or if it was ever asked. I'd really like some input on this one.
Thanks, BB

Depends on who is telling you that pearl of wisdom, but there is some truth to the statement. I think it would be prudent to have another activity to keep one busy, eg snow plowing comes to mind. I worked 3/5 days per week here in the great white north a couple of years back.

There is a guy over here who doesn't work during the winter as far as most people can tell. I think he might work now and again, but for the most part he stays at his nice house down in the Bahamas.

I've worked in rural areas...very rural, in fact. It's all about how you run the biz. Some people let the customers run the biz, only doing what the customers say and only working when they call. These people will not be working the winter months. People in general spend more time outdoors in the warmer months. Also, they are more likely to have their trees worked on when they are spending more time with their trees.

Those that can educate their customers on the countless advantages of doing treework in the winter (Gopher, for example) will have work throughout the winter, though it does slow down.

Also point out that in summer months, you can barely keep up with the work, and there are more hours in the day in which you can work. There fore you can make enough to live off, PLUS save some to get you through the winter, which manage through careful budgetting. While other people are slaving away 40 hrs/week, winter time for you is a cake-walk...a vacation.

Let them chew on that for a while. And don't spend all your money on the summer or else you will be applying for unemployment benefits in the winter.

love
nick

I laugh when people ask me if there is enough work for me to work everyday. I tell them I need 28 hour days and 8 day weeks, then they are surprised when I tell them I am booked solid for the next 5 weeks.

It's how you run the business, like was mentioned above. There's always good reason to sell work for the winter, to build that kind of backlog. Discipline! Smarts! Then it depends on where you live on how many days you can figure on getting frozen/blasted/rained out. You don't want to over promise work!
A lot of companies don't manage it, and suffer through the winter every year.

before i became a student, we did most our big tree jobs in winter, problem is the light, say the truck needs a new tyre, you'v as good as wasted the day, so we just double the time it takes us to do a job, say a 2 day job becomes a 3/4 day job. and charge accordingly if theyr on a day rate. this dosn't mean that we drag a job out coz its bad for buisness, word of mouth and all that.

Tom D. Wilson said:
before i became a student, we did most our big tree jobs in winter,

strange thing booking big jobs in winter ,i try hard to book all my big work for long summer /late spring days

No problems working winter here, been mild for so many winters now. daylight is the only downer we seem to have. And the fog, and the rain. But at least you dont sweat like a pig in all the gear, you can work to keep warm, and little old ladies feel sorry for you working "out there in the cold" and make cups of tea. Mmmmm. :rolleyes:

I think I would rather work for the big old ladies. The little old ladies are usually nice and mean well, but the big old ladies are the ones who are the GREAT cooks. big / little = weight not height

Well, ..., all summer my partner and I, fearing the winter slack, pushed the big tree work off till winter and built a small list of winter work. This has been an unusual warm period here and it seems that with the temps being good for home owners spending this time out doors they have stayed connected to their trees. And have been calling. Our summer efforts and the unusual weather has been keeping us working.

I told my partner, no snow removal, no snow removal, .... Educating in the summer about serious pruning left for the winter has helped.

Jack

AS long as there is no ice in the trees, I'lll climb. I work all winter. I go through the winter scare each year and things always work out. Snow won't hurt you. Where is our Russian friend he will tell you how to work in the cold. I just look at weather adversity as another challenge that comes with the job.

Hard to tell but this is a color photo. I don't no how much climbing a guy could do in this.

I would actually rather work on a really cold day than one when the humidex is the far side of 100F. I can dress for the cold but when it is too hot sheer misery. You limeys, aussies and southern yanks need to experience the great Canadian outdoors on an early January morning. :)

Jumper said:
I would actually rather work on a really cold day than one when the humidex is the far side of 100F. I can dress for the cold but when it is too hot sheer misery. You limeys, aussies and southern yanks need to experience the great Canadian outdoors on an early January morning. :)
I've worked in cold weather and my cutoff temp is -20F, below that you would have to either be bundled up too much to move and sweating(bad), or you dress for activity and the second you stop moving you cool off rapidly, an injurede climber would be in danger of frostbite/hypothermia before asessment or rescue could be performed. :blob2:

Matthias,

All you have to remember to do is PUT YOUR HOOD UP!!! There is nothing worse than Getting your jacket full of frost while you are putting your climbing line in.

Latest posts

Back